Thursday 23 August 2018

Moo..Moo.... Cow Brother@Damansara Uptown (CLOSED)


From Epicuro to Anneh and now, Cow Brother. I meant the shoplot. It used to house me and my brother's favorite Big Breakfast hangout until Epicuro decided to call it a day (a sad day for me). And then Anneh came along and didn't last 6 months.

And now enter Cow Brother, a name that makes me cringe. Sorry. Are they famous or what? I did google and found only one article in badly translated English. These people (the one I googled) are famous for beef noodles.


So I thought, hey that's great because there aren't any beef noodle places in this area (except for the Vietnamese ones) and I could look forwards to indulging in some bovine pleasures.

But guess what? A look at the menu showed a lone beef noodle item, the Seremban Beef Noodle. Bah!


But still, better than nothing and I should rejoice in the number of noodles that they offer.

There's more. They have rice dishes too.


But since I am at Cow Brother, I should go for the beef noodles. And I was hankering for some iced kopi o kosong.


Oh there's more food to be had. You have add-ons for your noodles and there's also breakfast.


Wait, got some more. Snacks, roasted meat and desserts. I hope they can cope and this is not a case of jack of all trades, master of none.


While waiting for my orders to arrive, I took a look at my surroundings.


Some of Epicuro's furniture was still intact (obviously also inherited by Anneh previously) with the addition of Chinese style marble tables and stools.

See the bar stools on the right?
Soon my food and drink arrived.


The coffee, they obviously ignored my request for no sugar. I was the only customer there and this can't be attributed to a mix up. The kopi o - ugh! insipid and diluted. Never ordering  the coffee again.

As for the beef noodles, the broth was decent enough with beefy and spiced taste and aroma. Strange thing was they used laksa noodles. Is this normal?


I wasn't too excited about the beef noodles. Though I haven't had this for a long time, I remember one at SS2 (at one of the coffee shops) which was more impressive. Too bad Cow Brother fell short on their cow beef noodles.

But I might come back for the other items just to see if they are up to mark.

30 comments:

  1. Can't say I'm impressed by the look of the noodles but the place sure looks great. Oh! Not so nice, eh? I'm not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess they translate the english name from the chinese...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Just hope they survive longer. What a name. Cow brother. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. quite an extensive menu ... but hmmm, what is 'sliding chicken' (item n05)??? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think their 'sliding chicken' is a direct translation of 'wat kai'....wakakakakaka! :D

      Delete
    2. What on earth is "wat kai"? hah..hah..

      Delete
    3. wat kai is cantonese words. kai is chicken. wat is slippery or smooth.

      Delete
  5. Yes I think it is quite common to use lai fun (laksa noodles) for beef noodles like this. So weird to have the word cow in the shop name and yet only have 1 item on the menu with beef. I suspect they could be jack of all trades master of none. So sad about epicuro. I wonder did epicuro open somewhere else instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I did not know that. I prefer yellow noodles. I think the Subang Epicuro is still there.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed Epicureo too. Sad to hear the one in Ampang will also change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Quite a number of eateries at my area have closed down.

      Delete
  7. When I saw your post title, I thought you had Moo Cow frozen yogurt! ;) I'm very weary of places which have too diversified a menu. I mean, look, they've practically have every noodle dish under the sun...prawn mee, pan mee, pork noodles, wantan mee, curry mee, beef noodles, fish ball mee, hakka mee, Ipoh hor fun, fish head noodles...and the list goes on. And that doesn't include the rice dishes! O_o With such variety they can't really concentrate in getting the flavours right in each of them. I would say to them "less is more"! I think you should skip this place entirely as you'd probably be disappointed with shoddy and quick-fire versions of every type of food available here. It tells me that they simply don't know what they're good at! >_< Or they're simply using their customers as guinea pigs to see what sells! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, lai fun is commonly offered when it comes to beef noodles :)

      Delete
    2. hah..hah... Let's see how long this one lasts. I did not know that lai fun is used for beef noodles as the ones I have had before used yellow noodles.

      Delete
  8. I am more used to koay teow with beef noodles. Hope their other food will make up for the no so good beef noodles. Must remember not to order the coffee O!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would prefer koay teow too if I had a choice.

      Delete
  9. that looks so delicious! i wanna try out that restau! :)

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net

    INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite an extensive menu, I would order oyster chicken rice or Ipoh chicken hor fun and fried fu cheok and fried eggplant as sides

    They call themselves Cow Brother but only serve one beef noodles item, strange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how long they will survive hah..hah...

      Delete
  11. Sorry your meal wasn't a winner! Hope your next visit is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too but I doubt if I will go back so soon.

      Delete
  12. The soup looked clear (without not much oil) which is not really the type I like. I prefer those Taiwanese style which more to braised type, Hong Shao in Mandarin~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Without going there but reading your comments and also from my partner I will never ever step foot into the place even if it's for free.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went there yesterday and ordered their beef noodle. Not the best but quite decent. I ordered the dry (not soup). It was their special beef noodle, not the regular. Good cut of meat slightly pricey at about rm18. Again not the best but wouldn't mind going back once in a while

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just came by to try their beef noodle. Definitely not great n service was slow despite no crowd. Lai Foong coffeeshop in KL is definitely better. I wouldnt come here the second time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Service is extremely bad. Rude staff. Face expression shows that they do not welcome customers. Worst thing is they even forget your order n they do not apologize.

    ReplyDelete