Tuesday 14 June 2016

I Was A Bad Sister. Bonding@Epicuro Uptown Damansara (CLOSED)


Food. That's how we bond, my brother and I. When we were little, bonding was usually over a spot of masak-masak or kahwin, with the other brother in tow.

You Malaysians know what is masak-masak. Play acting at cooking and eating over toy stoves or whatever seizes your imagination.

We even played restaurant once with my two brothers as customers and me as the waitress. I was waiting for one of them to order ice cream so that I could serve up ice and salad cream. But the older of the two read my mind. Party pooper, that one.

How about kahwin? I used to wrap up the little one in my mum's sarong and make him the bride. My other brother was the designated groom. Not only that, the little teddy bear ended up as their baby. What a hoot! I miss my days as match maker.

I bet kids don't do these gigs anymore. They are now into iPads and whatever it is that modern day kids do.

It was 11:00am on a work day when my brother and I headed to Epicuro. That's what we love to do. Plan brunches, lunches and dinners. Our lives revolves around work and food. How exciting.

It was quiet and we had the whole place to ourselves. We settled on the following :


An iced latte for him and an Americano for me. There was hardly any ice in our drinks, which is a good thing, isn't it?


The Big Breakfast with sunny side up eggs for my brother.


He was raving over the sausage. Very good it seems. The bacon was not as well browned as I would have preferred. And he also loved the sauteed mushrooms. Overall, a very good platter.

I decided to try the Pulled Pork Sandwich. It was a very generous serving. Loads of shredded pork served over lettuce and a buttered baguette.


It was not bad. The pork was flavorful enough and the baguette was generously buttered too. But somehow I felt that the butter clashed with the pork.

I think this is just me, I mean, I love butter but not with this sandwich. Mayo would suit me better. But don't take my word for it. Try this yourself.


Is it too early for chicken wings? Never mind, we made an order for the Hot Wings. It came to the table when we were almost done with our mains. So this was our dessert.


Three little wings perfectly seasoned and fried. They were separated into drumettes and wingettes and tossed in mayonnaise (I think) and sliced chillies. Delicious!


Do you prefer drumettes or wingettes? I prefer drumettes but I took two wingettes and one drummet. I let my brother have more drumettes because I reckon it's meatier, easier to eat.

Besides I have to atone for my past transgressions of making him a child bride.


But I walloped all the greens without offering him any. Tsk!


Our drinks came with a straw and swizzle stick. I thought the swizzle stick was unnecessary  and on a few occasions, both of us took a suck at the swizzle stick instead of the straw >.<

We did brunch again the following week.



The Big Breakfast again for him. This time with scrambled eggs.

And I had something called Eggs Are Sides for Bacon. Eggs are sides for bacon. Indeed they are!



Is that gorgeous or what? This is more fun than masak-masak.


39 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too, very filling and very worth the price.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely childhood days you had! I didn't play restaurants but often Cowboys & Red Indians with my brother who always made me the Red Indian who was brutally bashed and killed all over again.

    I love that Big Breakfast. I would eat them only on weekends as brunch to keep fit as excuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did play cops and robbers with my cousins and they made me the bad guy!

      Delete
  3. While the dish name is enticing, that plate does not look like a good "eggs are sides for bacon". Come on folks, lay a few more strips at least!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer wingettes and my husband drumettes...so no fighting! :D And I would need a little bit more colour on the fried bacon...hehe....but the shimeji mushrooms I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner doesn't really like wings so...hee...hee.... Yes, the bacon could be fried a bit more for color and extra flavor.

      Delete
  5. Delicious platters! I love all parts of the wings! Masak-masak, yup, those were the good old days! I really missed those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! In fact I like to chew on the wing tips hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong Hong, these days the kids with iPad don't have eyes for us. Sometime, I have to do something to get their attention, lo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! I think modern technology when they are too young is not good. My old fashioned thinking lah.

      Delete
  7. No, I don't like my scrambled eggs this way - this one's like one messed up omelette. I like mine creamy, not exactly runny but soft and creamy. Most places can't get it the way I like it...but they can do perfect poached eggs. I've tried and I've failed. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the way I like it!!!
      https://suituapui.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/thats-not-the-way/

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean, creamy and soft and I also like it like that. That's how it's done at Ampersand for their XXXL Breakfast but my auntie didn't like it.

      Delete
  8. I also read your brownie post twice because it was so well written, I enjoy reading it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also enjoy reading this post, to answer your question, I prefer wings

      Delete
    2. I also missed my masak masak days, last time we were more creative with the little we had, we pretended papers were the chee cheong fun and cut it into rows and pieces, so fun!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Libby! We also used to cut up colorful erasers in school to make rojak LOL!

      Delete
  9. Their food looks yummy to me! Especially the sandwich, very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww it's really nice that you have these cool childhood memories with your brothers. And now your bond is stronger than ever - proven by how you're more than happy to hand over the drummettes to your sibling! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, we are still kids when we get together and it's nice :)

      Delete
  11. The bacon does look pale in the photos. Hahaha, I can imagine both of you accidentally using the swizzle stick as a straw. Your poor brothers, you make them kahwin each other when young so now you have to treat both of them to more meals to atone for it! ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bacon was pale, not fried long enough. When I think back hah..hah..it's so funny I made them bride and groom :D

      Delete
  12. I always find bacon too salty, is that only me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Libby. You are right. Bacon is very salty hah..hah...

      Delete
    2. There are unsalted bacons available at the supermarkets too.

      Delete
    3. Yes, An Xin makes low sodium ones which I've tried.

      Delete
  13. Hi Phong Hong,

    I remember those days with no ipad and smart phones! It was awesome! We used mattress to build "houses" and "camp" around the house... So sad the kids in this era are not doing these anymore.

    Hope that you are not using your phone and ipad when you are enjoying these lovely food :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! Yes, without all those technology, we turned out great, right? hah..hah..I only used my phone to snap photos and after that I keep it aside to enjoy my food :)

      Delete
  14. wah....not too early...yum yum...making my tummy play drum liao....havent have lunch leh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo...so late liao. Better go and eat something.

      Delete
  15. I love play masak-masak and as teacher when I were small with my younger siblings.

    For masak-masak I would use up leaves from garden and pretend it as food. Haha. And my plywood wall as blackboard for my teaching act. Curi some chalks from school.

    Hmm. My kids do play masak-masak with playdough but most of the time play superhero and villain. Haha

    What a lovely brunch you guys have. The big breakfast looked good. My hubby would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun playing all these as kids hee..hee...Good memories :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Phong Hong, I enjoyed reading about your childhood play acting with your brothers. Makes me smile when I remembered mine too. You still enjoy great bonding with your brother. All these breakfast photos are making me hungry. Waiting for my dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! It's great that I can still spend time with my brother. The other one is married, so we only meet up during family gatherings.

      Delete