I was wondering what to cook for my partner's food prep when I thought of this dish. It's actually a take on my mum's dish except that this one uses minced meat with addition of celery.
Minced meat (in this case oink oink) is very versatile and easy to use. You can use it as it is, make meatballs, patties or bake as meatloaf or even have it steamed.
These days, minced meat is easily available unlike during my grandma's time when she had to mince the meat herself.
For seasoning, it's just simply light soya sauce, thick soya sauce (for some color) and lots of freshly cracked pepper. Simple and yet so comforting and delicious.
I like to dump a (generous) scoop or two over rice, sprinkle with some sliced chili padi and eat in front of the TV hee..hee.. something my mum won't approve - sitting in front of the TV, in case you spill rice and stuff on the sofa.
I added some celery for extra fragrance. Another thing that would be great in this dish are mushrooms.
Minced Meat with Potatoes, Carrots and Celery
Recipe source : PH
- 450g minced meat (chicken or pork, whatever you like)
- 3 potatoes, cut into quarters and sliced
- 1 small carrot, cut into half lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 rib of celery, sliced
- 1 onion, cut into quarters and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- some water for simmering
Seasoning (mix together)
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp thick soya sauce
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
Thickener (mix together)
- 1 tsp tapioca flour (or cornflour)
- 2 tbsp water
1. Heat oil in wok and saute minced garlic until aromatic.
2. Add minced meat and stir fry until meat changes color.
3. Add some water and simmer for about 10 minutes covered.
4. Add potatoes and carrot and continue to simmer until almost tender.
5. Add celery, onions and seasoning, stir to mix. Add more water if necessary or if you want more gravy. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Add thickener and mix until gravy thickens.