Monday 10 December 2018

Best Banana Bread/Cake


According to Sally that is. I love bananas and I love banana cake/bread. I have tried many banana cake recipes like Sour Cream Banana CakeMarbled Banana Bundt Cake and another best in the form of My Best Banana Cake.

Again, I want to mention to my local readers (because I keep getting comments that "this does not look like bread") that "bread" in this case is not the roti that you all are used to. This cake is called a bread because it refers to quick breads, which is actually a cake lah. Besides it is baked in a loaf pan and it comes out looking like a loaf of bread.

Usually a quick bread is made using oil or melted butter but this one is made by beating softened butter with sugar and eggs, pretty much how cakes are made. So I guess this one qualifies as a cake (but still called a bread).


It's been a while since I ate banana cake and I wanted one. So I turned to Sally's Baking Addiction for some inspiration. This recipe uses sour cream and it so happened that I had some leftover in the fridge. Perfect!

When I went to Jaya Grocer to get bananas, I was delighted to see some very ripe pisang berangan on the shelves. Usually bananas in this condition are removed.


I also bought a tub of walnuts to add into the cake. I do like nuts in cakes, some people don't.

As usual, I reduced the sugar content and upped the cinnamon from 1/2 teaspoon to one teaspoon because I love the combination of cinnamon and bananas. They are so fantastic together.


After the banana bread was baked, I let it cool completely and stored it in a container. Yes, I had such good self-control hah...hah....

I did not slice and eat the cake immediately because from experience, I know that it would taste better the following day.


This banana bread is so moist and loaded with bananas and toasted walnuts. The sweetness was just right for me. This banana bread freezes well so I put each slice into a small freezer bag to be enjoyed over many many days. That way I can exercise portion control.

So is this the best banana bread/cake? I can't decide but I will say that it is one of the best.

Best Banana Bread/Cake
Recipe source : Sally's Baking Addiction

Ingredients :
- 250g self-rising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g butter at room temperature
- 130g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g sour cream at room temperature
- 6 smallish pisang berangan (approximately 350g peeled weight), mashed
- 120g toasted walnuts, chopped and tossed with some flour

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
1. In another mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add vanilla extract and mashed bananas and beat to combine.
5. Sift in flour in three additions, alternating with the sour cream (in two additions) and ending with flour. I used a spatula at this stage to fold the flour and sour cream into the butter/banana mixture.
6. Fold in chopped walnuts.
7. Pour batter into a 9" x 5" lined loaf pan and back at 160C for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.

Note :
1. I tented the cake after 40 minutes to prevent over browning. My cake was done in 60 minutes
2. This cake tastes wonderful after sitting for a day.

23 comments:

  1. I love a slice. Never could resist banana cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too...I love banana cakes (I didn't know quick breads = cakes, so thanks for solving that confusion, I think I'll stick to calling cakes...cakes and roti...breads). Your this banana cakes looks more brownish than your previous "My best banana cake". I wonder if it's the sour cream which caused that. Whenever I buy banana cakes outside, I always see these almost hairline brown bits and have always wondered what caused those...type of bananas used? I'm one of those who don't like nuts in my cakes. >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those hairline brown bits come from the middle part of the banana, very ripe bananas. Previously, I mashed the bananas just before putting into the batter, so it did not brown. This time, I mashed earlier and left it standing and it turned brown, hence the deeper color.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, I love the addition of walnuts! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am drooling over your banana cake! I love to eat nuts in cakes especially walnuts! Aiya, why you always tempt us with your fantabulous cakes!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... I have been bitten by the baking bug and it is good, no? LOL!

      Delete
  6. I would love to have these banana cakes but without the nuts thank you, hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not had the lovely banana cake at Payung here, served with ice cream for the simple reason that it is not gluten free. Sighhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can just order one and eat while the ladies look on LOL!

      Delete
  8. Oh so good this recipe darling
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo yumm!
    I love banana cakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, but can i replace sour cream with yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't care what it's called, as long as it's tasty, LOL
    I like nuts in bread too, for that extra texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The nutty aroma adds to the tastiness I think.

      Delete
  12. The cake looks moist and delicious. I love cakes with nuts in it.

    ReplyDelete