Wednesday 19 December 2018

Mango Yogurt Cotton Cake


It has been a long while since I baked cotton cakes or ogura cakes. At one time, these cakes were the rage and were featured in many baking blogs.

This Mango Yogurt Cotton Cake has been in "your all time favorite" on my sidebar for the longest time (together with some other bakes). When I first baked this cake, I was a greenhorn with a "fail also never mind" attitude.


Well, I had my fair share of heartaches when baking, from collapsed Japanese Cotton Cheesecake to tops of cakes peeling off when inverted on the baking rack.

When I attempted this cake previously, I baked at a lower temperature - 140C for about 55 minutes. This time, I decided to go 160C just to see how it goes and my cake was done in 40 minutes. 


After taking the cake out of the oven, I dropped the cake pan from a height onto my dining table twice, a method I learnt which apparently minimizes the shrinkage of such cakes. It seemed to work although the top of the cake got all wrinkly.

The mango flavor from the yogurt is not prominent since it is "diluted" by the other ingredients. What you will get mostly is the eggy aroma, much like sponge cake. Perhaps the addition of mango essence could enhance the mango flavor.

The texture of this cake is cottony soft and everyone who has eaten this cake loves the texture. I could easily devour half of this cake if I allowed myself to but of course I won't be so naughty to do that. Hah!

Mango Yogurt Cotton Cake
Recipe source : Adapted from an old post

Ingredients :

(1) Egg Yolk Batter :
- 70g flour (can use plain/superfine flour, I used self raising)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 50ml flavorless vegetable oil (I used grapeseed oil)
- 1 tub mango yogurt (125g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional, I added just for extra aroma. Mango essence would be great.)

(2) Egg White Batter :
- 5 egg whites
- 60g caster sugar

Note : You need to steam bake this cake. For the method, please refer to my old post.

Method :
1. Prepare the egg yolk batter first. In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yoks, whole egg, oil, mango yogurt and vanilla (if using) until well mixed and emulsified. Sift in the flour and continue to whisk till well combined. Set aside.
2. Using a hand held mixer, beat the egg whites till foamy.
3. Add sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks.
4. Take 1/3 of the egg while mixture and fold into the egg yolk batter to lighten it.
5. Pour the egg yolk batter into the egg white mixture and fold the two batters using a spatula or your bare hand (I used my hand) until evenly combined (no streaking).
6. Pour batter into  lined and greased 8" baking pan and bake at 160C for about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and drop the pan from a height onto work surface twice. 
8. Let cool on a baking rack and remove from pan to cool completely.

Note : I used a pan with removable bottom.

20 comments:

  1. I like the eggy taste. I guess this cake can't be kept in the freezer due to its texture, right? so did you finish it in 2 days all by yourself or did you give your staff a treat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not suitable for freezer this one. It was finished in a day by two people hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. Your cotton cake looks so good and perfect! Every time I see your cake, I am tempted to start baking! Lol! Better not or else I will start to put on weight because I am one naughty old girl! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Lots of washing up involved too :(

      Delete
  3. I used to be crazy for all these soft and light fluffy cakes. Later I realised they are not filling enough and I needed to sapu the whole cake to be satisfied. Burp!.... You are really patient to master this baking from trial and errors till succeed! Keong Hee Ah Hong Chee! I used to hang around my mum in the kitchen as I was the only kid at home when my siblings studied in overseas. I learnt a lot of theory in cooking and baking from her whenever she failed or succeeded. I recall that she had headaches with these soft cakes including the most delicate chiffon cakes! Verdict: She told me that they size of the oven and type of metal used for baking influenced the results for soft cakes. That means one needs bigger spaced oven and non-aluminium baking tins to help regulate the temperature & timing. Just my 2 cents.

    I love rich and heavy cakes like those Christmas fruit cakes with plenty of fruit nuts and brandy to get "high"... You get my hint or still pretend to play dumb? LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mum was very wise! I was lucky to be tutored by my aunt and I mastered chiffon cakes almost immediately. Still dropping hints I see. LOL!

      Delete
  4. looks super-tempting as usual! ahhh, if you ever decide to publish a cake compilation e-book, you could call it 'Baking: Heartaches & Healing' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so soft and nice. Too bad it is not gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Phong Hong, this is my all time favourite too. Baking cottony cakes for gatherings, all snap up quickly. I baked one today, lemon tea flavour but won't be posting, too tired to take pictures. The cake was spongy and tall, didn't shrink much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! You baked lots of cottony cakes and this recipe was taken from you hee..hee...

      Delete
  7. I love cotton and sponge cakes like these. And I like the green colour plate in your photo, did you got it from Daiso?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a big fan of cake but I do like mango and yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mango yogurt is one of my favorite flavors.

      Delete
  9. Hi, May I know the pan you used is round or square. Thanks

    ReplyDelete