Friday 14 December 2018

How I Freeze My Cake


I love freezing stuff. From curries to cookies to cakes. Not everything can be frozen of course but those that can, I will freeze. 

Cakes (unfrosted ones) are perfect for freezing. Imagine baking something wonderful and then stashing some away in the freezer to be enjoyed at your convenience.

My mum once told me that her Scottish friends bake during the weekends and freeze their cakes to be enjoyed during the weekdays.

Well, I baked me another banana cake hee...hee....


I love banana cakes. Having a slice for breakfast is wonderful. What you need to stash this in the freezer are freezer bags and an airtight container. I get my freezer bags from Daiso.


Slice the loaf of banana cake. I sliced mine into 10, and placed each slice into a freezer bag.


The freezer bag size for this is small (S) and I always make sure I have these handy bags in my pantry as they are very useful.


The bagged slices of cake are placed into an airtight clip-lock container. I got this container as a free gift when I purchased multi-vitamins quite some time ago.


This container has a domed top which is an advantage because it allows you to fill the container right to the brim.


And that's it! The container then goes to hibernate in the freezer. When I want to eat, I just take a slice out and leave it to thaw at room temperature or in the fridge overnight. When it comes out from the fridge, I just let it sit to come to room temperature. Convenient, eh?

21 comments:

  1. I love those airtight containers. I bought a few, oven-proof glass ones, but the cover is plastic - RM8.90 only each. Going to go back for more so I will have a set of 6, at least. Atm, I have 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At RM8.90 that's very cheap! Yes, get some more as these containers are very useful.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I love freezing stuff too. Must reuse the plastic bags. I love the convenience of making a big batch and having emergency meals and snacks ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the reusing. I wash and then dry them.

      Delete
  3. Very convenience la PH...
    BTW, how long can we freeze the cake before it expire/rosak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Form what I have read, can keep for 3 months. But don't worry Puan Hazel, it won't stay in the freezer that long hah..hah..

      Delete
  4. Do the cakes taste exactly the same after they've been thawed? I've never frozen cakes before and would like to try (it's rather handy if I happen to have a slice of unfinished cake). These freezer bags are quite expensive...do you reuse them? A bit troublesome though since they have to be washed and dried. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is no impairment to the taste. Bring it to room temperature or warm it slightly in the microwave. Yes, I reuse the bags. True that it is troublesome to wash and dry them but I'm ok with that. Get the ones from Daiso. One pack of 40 for RM5.90 is quite alright compared to those brands like Glad which cost more.

      Delete
  5. You are so cleber! You just taught a kitchen nerd like me how to freeze simplest stuffs. I had no idea that we should use freezer bags before storing inside locked containers. I also learnt a new word today - "domed top" for its cover.

    All the while I knew that one cake shop chain called "Resipi Rahsia" uses huge styro foam containers in chilled storage to make deliveries and then stored in the special fridge at the correct temperature. The staff told me so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone once told me that resipi rahsia freeze their cakes too.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the tips! Very useful for those who want to freeze cakes. Maybe I will freeze the cakes I bought too with your method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it. Can buy more (if fresh) and freeze to enjoy later.

      Delete
  7. Those freezer bags are so convenient and useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very useful. Can also use to freeze cookies.

      Delete
  8. Airtight container is the best in kitchen. For storing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never freeze cake before, most probably is I always manage to finish the cake, Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have learned to freeze food too. I find it very convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea. Will try to freeze my steamed paus this way, too. Maybe need to buy a bigger size freezer bags.

    ReplyDelete