Friday 21 December 2018

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon


Does anybody like brussel sprouts? I have read about them and seen them on the supermarket shelves but I never made any attempt to eat them. That was until one day at Salad Atelier when I picked brussel sprouts as one of my salad ingredients.


I liked it so much that I had it again on another visit.


Of course you don't get very much brussel sprouts in the salad as this is quite a pricey vegetable over here.


After having a taste of brussel sprouts (raw), I decided to buy a box (RM8.00) to roast with bacon. I was quite sure it would taste fabulous.


I thought there wasn't very much brussel sprouts from one box (I regretted buying only one) but after it was sliced, there was quite a heap.

Pretty much like cabbage (brussel sprouts come from the same family and they look like mini cabbages), once you cut them up and release the compacted leaves, you end up with quite a lot.


It took about 20 minutes or so in the oven and some of the loose leaves crisped up while the ones that were intact were charred at the edges. But I did not get even charring because I was not diligent enough the toss the brussel sprouts at intervals as they were cooking


I must say that I enjoyed the roasted brussel sprouts just like I love roasted broccoli. It had a smokey aroma and of course the bacon added lots of flavor. I had this as part of a salad mixed with roasted broccoli. It looks like I will be having brussel sprouts regularly.

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 1 box of brussel sprouts (can't remember the weight, there was something like 8 in there)
- 4 rashers bacon, cut into smaller pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste

Method :
1. Slice the brussel sprouts lengthwise and place on a lined baking tray.
2. Drizzle olive oil over and use your hand to toss the brussel sprouts to coat.
3. Scatter bacon over the brussel sprouts and roast at 180C for 20-25 minutes until edges are charred.
4. Season with salt and pepper.

20 comments:

  1. I have a special fondness for Brussels sprouts especially when they're roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raised hands up high. Me! I like to eat brussel sprouts. So your salad is super tasty! Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I knew you would like hee..hee..

      Delete
  3. I seldom had the chance to eat Brussel Sprouts as they are costly vegetables. I prefer to eat bean sprouts la. Lol

    I am amazed by the colours in your healthy salad. I need to eat lesser meat now to live and blog longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I also like beansprouts :)

      Delete
  4. Not a fan of Brussel sprouts - had them in the UK, so jakun at that time, thought it would be like baby kailan and ever since, I would not give it a second glance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's the way it was cooked that made it unpalatable.

      Delete
  5. I like them crunchy... just have to blanch them in hot water and I can eat them like that. My son bought a packet of frozen sprouts and they were all soggy after cooking. I must have soak them too long! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be nice with sambal belacan like that, right? LOL!

      Delete
  6. I like Brussels sprouts. However I don't buy them often as rather pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some the other day but it bad condition - tak laku.

      Delete
  7. I only ate them as sides for roast turkey when having Xmas parties. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya hor, normally that is how it is served.

      Delete
  8. i'm a fan of brussels sprouts! love the body in their texture and their uniquely delicious flavour - definitely more satisfying than, say, cabbage :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have found another brussel sprouts fan!

      Delete
  9. So jakun, I think my dictionary of vegetables is limited to broccoli, kailan, spinach and the like, don't think I have eaten brussel sprouts before and I wonder how they taste like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I think they are not that common. Tastes something like cabbage.

      Delete
  10. I have tasted brussels sprouts and I love them very much. I have eaten them cooked but haven't tried raw ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that you also like brussel sprouts.

      Delete