Monday 31 December 2018

2018 Kitchen Disaster #1 : My Jelly Tak Jadi


Haiz........... It has been a while since I had any cake disasters. My last hari ini dalam sejarah was back in 2016. Come to think of it, 2016 was not a good year for me because I also had a drama minggu ini which happened just before Chinese New Year.

Last year 2017 seemed relatively fine with no major upsets but this year 2018 there were some issues like my my dad's recent health crisis. In fact after returning to Terengganu after his follow up, mum had a fall and broke her arm. 

Today is the last day of 2018 and I hope that 2019 will be a better year for everyone. Well, let me show you what happened in the kitchen last weekend.

Sempat pulak snap gambo.
I was blending pandan when suddenly the bottom part of my blender came loose. Pandan juice oozed out and when I removed the blender, everything came spilling out. I was so upset.

I don't know how that happened because earlier on, I had already blended one batch of pandan juice and everything was fine. What to do? I just cleaned up while telling myself, it's ok...it's ok....

So what's with the failed jelly thing? Well, I have never made agar-agar. So I wanted to widen my repertoire in the kitchen by including jelly because my partner loves agar-agar. 


I even bought a silicone jelly mold via Lazada for my latest adventure. I followed the recipe from Teratak Mutiara Kasih (love this name!) but sorry ya Lina, I derhaka your lovely recipe because I pandai-pandai wanna use pandan juice and not food coloring. I think I may have used too much pandan because my agar-agar had a "green" smell.


The clear part of the agar-agar was pale while the santan part was sickly green. After eating two, I had to throw the rest away because the taste was just off. 


Using the silicone mold, it was easy to remove the jellies as the mold is soft and pliable. As for the other mold, Lina advised me to wet the mold first before pouring in the hot agar-agar. I did that but still found difficulty in removing the set jelly. I attribute that to my lack of experience. 


To remove the agar-agar, I used my butter spreader to tease it out and it seemed to work. But never give up! I am going to make this agar-agar again. In fact I ordered another 2 silicone molds to make my job easier.


Well then, I shall wish all my friends and readers a very HAPPY NEW YEAR! See you next year!

21 comments:

  1. Sayang betul.. agar² tu dah cantik berlapis. .Daun pandan tak boleh letak banyak sangat PH. nanti taste dia little bit bitter. kalau 2-3 helai dah cukup.
    Agar² tak boleh grease dgn butter. nnt butter tu spoiled the taste. Kalau untuk puding roti/puding kastad ok. Never mind cuba lagi ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lina. Terima kasih sebab sudi datang komen. PH dah cuba kali kedua dan agar-agar tu dah jadi hee..hee.. Thanks again for sharing the recipe :)

      Delete
  2. Is the taste off because your santan pecah minyak already? Do try again because practice makes perfect! Enjoy your countdown to NY tonight! Happy New Year! May your heart wishes come true in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pandan had a greenish strong smell because I put too much. I tried again and it was successful. Will post that later. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  3. Hope 2019 will be a great year for you and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lina! I hope the same for you :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you have a better 2019. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's OK PH. Next year can try again :p

    Wishing you all the best for 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah..hah... Happy New Year, Puan Hazel!

      Delete
  6. The jelly looks good. Is it because too much pandan juice? I am not good in making jelly. Either too soft or too hard. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, too much pandan juice spoiled it. Happy New Year to you and your family too!

      Delete
  7. Long time didn't eat jelly already. When we were kids, my mom used to make them very often.

    Happy new year ph, may 2019 brings you a year without worries and problems, good health, good food and wealth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Libby! I wish all good things for you!

      Delete
  8. saya berharap agar all your agar-agar next year memang menjadi! :) looking forward to reading more recipes from you in 2019 - even your 'failures' would be considered a success in my kitchen :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah your BM quite powerful wahahaha!! Thank you for your very encouraging comment.

      Delete
  9. I've had a number of flops lately, too. It happens! Wishing you a Happy New Year!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so comforted by that! Wishing you a very Happy New Year and may we have more successful bakes in the coming months!

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year!!! What? I thought this would be a whole lot easier than making cakes and bread. Just not your day, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! I was trying to be too clever and used too much pandan juice.

      Delete
  11. My jelly making always hassle-free with those canned fruit :P
    HAPPY 2019 to you, PH & family!

    ReplyDelete