Friday 10 November 2017

My Beefy Mee Goreng


Much as I love beef, I have never cooked it with noodles. I have had beef kway teow/beef noodles at the restaurant and I love it, but at home, nah...never tried.

It was Kak Azie's Mee Goreng Daging that prompted me to attempt my first ever fried noodles with beef. I have tried many recipes from Azie Kitchen and I have never been disappointed.


Just before the weekend I bought a packet of mee kuning (yellow noodles) from Jaya Grocer. While I was there, I chanced upon very fresh Vietnamese Basil. Ah! I have been looking for these, not to cook, but to plant. So I picked up two packets.

Then on Sunday, I bought 2 packets of pre-sliced beef. These were simply marinated with some oyster sauce and minced garlic. I found a small wedge of wilting cabbage in the fridge and this was soaked to revive and enlisted as an ingredient in my mee goreng.


Before I planted the basil, I removed most of the leaves (some I used to cook Thai style dish) and instead of wasting them, I decided to add them to my fried noodles.

The herbs made my mee goreng so aromatic. Well, overpowering actually because I put too much but since I love the herb, it was fine by me. You have to like Vietnamese basil to enjoy it like this or else you may end up feeling giddy from the scent.

I overdid the chili paste too hee..hee.. and my noodles were super duper hot noodles. Not a problem because I enjoy tear-inducing mee goreng pedas and enjoyed it to the max. Well, there goes another unscheduled cheat day. Tsk!


Beef Fried Noodles
Recipe source : Inspired by Azie Kitchen

Ingredients :
- 1 packet yellow noodles (250g)
- 200g sliced beef, marinated with 1 tablespoon oyster sauce and 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sweet soya sauce (kicap manis)
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (I used 2, too hot!!)
- some sliced cabbage 
- a generous handful of Vietnamese basil (optional)

Method :
1. Heat oil in wok and sautee minced garlic until fragrant.
2. Add chili paste and fry until chili is cooked through.
3. Add marinated beef slices and stir fry until meat changes color.
4. Add some water to simmer the beef.
5. Add tomato ketchup and sweet soya sauce. Bring to a boil and add cabbage.
6. When cabbage is wilted, add the yellow noodles and stir fry to mix everything together.
7. Just before turning off the flame, add Vietnamese basil (if using) and stir fry until wilted.
8. Dish out and serve hot.

36 comments:

  1. Goodness!!! That looks outrageously gorgeous! Drool! Drool! Had beef with kway teow, never mee. Bet that's just as nice or even nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had beef fried with mee goreng from the Malay stalls. If there were, the beef they use is always very chewy. I actually like the Chinese style beef hor fun...those are super tender (I think they toss that in a cornflour slurry)! ;) I never fry noodles at home coz I hate them sticking to the pan but now that I have a new marble ceramic non-stick pan, time to put the noodles to the test :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to think of it, neither have I. I think it is quite rare to find any beef nasi goreng outside. Oh yes, beef hor fun I have eaten and I love it! Unfortunately that's something I won't be able to replicate at home. Looking forwards to your fried noodles hee..hee.

      Delete
  3. I start sweating upon seeing those chili clinging on the noodles >_<

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the taste of all types of basil leaves but your mee goreng super pedas is too spicy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you like the taste of all types of basil leaves. Some are quite sharp and pungent like the Thai Sweet Basil that I once found at the supermarket.

      Delete
  5. If you are my neighbour, I confirm order from you, as you know, I am not a good cook...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure get sore throat if I eat this, how I wish I can take spicy food, haiz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, must put less chilli for you hee..hee..

      Delete
  7. Wah! Sudahlah mee gorengnya sedap, ditambah pua dengan daun basil...tambah menggodalah aromanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terangkat bila makan mee goreng ni hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. If my man see this, he would ask me to try and whip this dish. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. contemplating what to have for lunch today, and the sight of this makes me want mee goreng! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. No see no see no see...klucnh ime liao..hungry... so yummy looking

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! Your photos are getting more and more gorgeous by the day! I am seriously drooling over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...thank you, dear :) I am so flattered hah...hah...

      Delete
  12. Wah PH, mee goreng looks so delicious. Your photos are so gorgeous. Looks like professional food photographer. Regard, Kak Azie Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments, Kak Azie! And thank you for the recipe too!

      Delete
  13. Hi Phong Hong,
    This beef mee goreng of yours really yummy. I'm so tempted to have supper now seeing this tasty yummy dish at this time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I hope you had something nice to eat :)

      Delete
  14. I have been thinking of cooking Penang styled Mee Goreng after my recent trip home! Now I am paying attention to your ingredients and will experiment the difference. This is my first time hearing Vietnamese basil. I know there are 2 types in the market but I always thought it is Thai Basil and Western Basil only. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we use the term Vietnamese and Thai basil interchangeably. It's the one with purple flowers. I prefer Asian basil and do not like Italian basil.

      Delete
  15. Wah! Looks so delicious. I don't mind overpowering smell of basil but I don't know whether I can tahan the extra hot chili.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can use less chili or don't put chili. I loved the kick hee..hee...

      Delete
  16. Dah lama tak goreng Mee, since mylaling pun Tak suka makan, his stomach Tak tahan Kapur.
    But I prefer Mee goreng basah, then taruk together banyak2, best..you punya kering Kan, tapi sedap juga tu nampaknya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PH pulak prefer goreng kering macam ni. Yang basah pun makan juga. Makan dengan cili hijau jeruk. Yum yum!

      Delete
  17. Tengok mee ni teringat mee tarik warisan .... tu belum ulang tayang lagi tu. Selagi tak dapat kali ke dua, mmg terbayang bayanglah gamaknya hihih....

    Ohhh i pernah jugaklah buat mee pakai daging. Memang tak menghampakan, pada i lebih sedap letak perencah ayam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... LL pun nak cuba mee tarik tu kalau ada peluang. Oh ya, LL lupa letak perencah hah..hah..

      Delete