Monday 13 November 2017

Bergedil


Confession. I made some more Loaded Potato Skins. I know, I know. I am out of control. When I like something, I want to eat it again.

The only way to break the craving is to eat until that food comes out of my ears. And then, boom! I don't want to eat it anymore (at least not for the next few months).

As a result of making those darn delicious potato skins I got me a pile of baked potato flesh. These can be used for making mashed potatoes or put it into meatloaf or better still, I found an excuse to make bergedil.


Another essential ingredient for bergedil is fried shallots and if there is anyone who loathes making fried shallots, that would be me although I adore those crispy tasty caramelized onions. It requires patience because the sliced shallots seem to take forever to brown.


The other ingredients are minced beef, an egg, minced Chinese celery leaves, salt and lots of pepper. Then simply form the mixture into patties, dip each patty into beaten egg and deep fry. Ooops...deep fry...another dreaded activity. But there is no other way to make bergedil. Baking will not do, so don't even think about it.


I love these meat patties dipped in sweet chili sauce. They are a great accompaniment eaten with rice, noodles or eaten on their own as a snack. Not exactly something healthy due to the deep frying and all. But hey, eat in moderation, OK?

Bergedil (Meat and Potato Patties)
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 400g minced beef
- mashed baked potato (from 3 Russet potatoes)
- fried shallots, made from 8 thinly sliced shallots
- a handful of Chinese celery leaves, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp freshly cracked pepper or to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, beaten

Method :
1. Mix minced beef, mashed potatoes, fried shallots, minced celery leaves, salt, pepper and one egg. Using you hand, mix everything together until it comes together.
2. Heat oil in pan for deep frying.
3. Form the mixture into patties and dip each one into beaten egg and then carefully drop it into the hot oil.
4. Fry until patties are golden brown.
5. Drain on paper towels.

30 comments:

  1. I am early today, so my reward is one of the bergedil? Lol.

    I loves this, will order it whenever I see it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so good. I give to 5 bergedil hee..hee..

      Delete
  2. I know that feeling. I get stuck on things I love too and can sometimes eat them for weeks at a time before moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bergedil. Great with chilli dipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I can eat it just like that. No need anything else.

      Delete
  4. When I see bergedil in Malay mixed rice shops, I cannot resist. But I didn't know that fried shallots is a key component of bergedil...thanks for the tip. Is that why yours appear darker than those I've seen and had from Malay stalls? Do we need to under-fry the shallots so that it won't be too browned when fried the second time? This looks like an easy enough recipe to try. I wonder if I can shallow fry it instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have left my bergedil a bit too long in the pan hee..hee... that's why it is very browned. You can take take it off the pan once it has lightly browned. No, you don't need to under-fry the shallots. Just do it like usual. The more fried shallots the better! Yes, you can shallow fry this. The oil can reach halfway up the bergedil, just need to flip when one side is browned.

      Delete
  5. Have not made bergedil for a long time. Yet to try making your loaded potato skins, so very lazy. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I experience this every now and then too :)

      Delete
  6. anything edible made using potatoes, please count me in. you do not like making fried shallots but you like eating fried shallots, right? then it is worth the effort making them. I think I have eaten bergedil but I can't remember how it tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fried shallots. It makes everything taste good. I like to sprinkle it on soups. Brings the taste to another level!

      Delete
  7. This sure looks like Japanese Korokke and Indian's Vadai. I love them all and you just alerted me to find all the potato flesh that I dug out!! I totally forgot about them. I must try to cook Bergedil as it has my favourite fried shallots. Yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, hor? In fact it did remind me of vadai, which I love a lot. I was wondering what you did with the potato flesh hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. I have yet to try this Bergedil. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tasty! I like it with more fried shallots and Chinese celery.

      Delete
  9. i'm a fan of bergedil too! i wish we could find it at more restaurants in kl ... or even some cafes. it'd be a fun component or side dish to work with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you! I used to look out for them at the nasi campur stalls.

      Delete
  10. I have yet to try this Bergedil. Looks very inviting and definitely book mark it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sedapnya bergedil PH! Saya suka! Ratah-ratah saja.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plisss, pliss, give me some..ohh..I love betgedil, tapi malas nak buat, see I made confession too, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh patutlah my bergedil hancur bila goreng kali kedua for the 2nd day. I tak buh tolo. Adoiyai.... Ingatkan sebab masuk dalam freezer ke hape, sejuk sejuk tu i main goreng je hihi...
    Same with me LL, selagi i suka i akan ulang tayang makan sampailah i jemu hihi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ni boleh masuk freezer ke, Hainom? LL takut nak cuba sebab risau dia jadi berair sebab pernah masuk isi kentang dalam freezer dan lepas defrost banyak keluar air.

      Delete
  14. You are like me, I will keep on eating my favourite food until I get sick of it, then I won't eat it again :P

    ReplyDelete