Monday 20 November 2017

Mocha Ice Cream : No Churning Required


No churn ice cream. It seemed too good to be true. I have heard about it, read about it, but I was not convinced. 

Another thing that discouraged me was the use of condensed milk, which dislike. When I was growing up, there was one particular brand of condensed milk that was popular - Milkmaid (Susu cap junjung).

My mum and dad used to add condensed milk to their coffee to make kopi guleng (kopi susu/coffee with milk). These days they take Nescafe 3-in-1.

I have made ice cream without the use of an ice cream maker before. What you had to do was prepare the mixture, freeze, whisk and then freeze and whisk some more. It was troublesome and still there were ice crystals in the ice cream in spite of all the whisking.


And then my auntie gifted me with an ice cream machine and I have successfully made Milo Ice Cream and Nutella Ice Cream

So what convinced me to try no churn ice cream? Well, it was an episode of Nigella Lawson's Nigellissima that did it.  All she did was beat heavy cream, condensed milk, espresso powder and espresso liqueur and then simply poured the lot into containers to freeze. So easy.

Well. I did what Nigella did but I got carried away. I overwhipped the mixture and the cream split. Arrggghhhh!!!!! Instead of the freezer, it all went into the bin. Bah!


I didn't give up of course. I tried again, using whipping cream and made sure that I stopped the moment it reached stiff peaks. 

After combining the whipped cream with the condensed milk mixture, I poured the mixture into a tub and a small container (for quality control heh..heh...). Both went into the freezer and in the evening, I took out the small one to try.

Oh! It tasted so good, the texture was smooth, much like regular ice cream. Ah! What a revelation.


This could be the beginning of a good thing. Well, not so good in the waistline department. 

One thing to note is that before you place the lid on your container, be sure to cover the top of the container with cling wrap first. This is to avoid formation of ice crystals on your ice cream.

Liquor is optional. It is there for flavor intensity and also to lower the freezing point so that the ice cream won't be frozen rock solid and will be easier to scoop.

So, fret not if you don't own an ice cream machine. Mine is in hyper-hibernation in the freezer.

No Churn Mocha Ice Cream
Adapted from : Nigella.com

Ingredients :
- 150ml condensed milk
- 200ml whipping cream
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1 sachet Nescafe Mocha Latte
- 1 tbsp rum (optional)

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, mix condensed milk, cocoa powder, instant coffee powder and Nescafe Mocha Latte until well combined. Set aside.
2. Whip whipping cream until stiff peaks.
3. Take 1/3 of the whipped cream and mix it with the condensed milk mixture to lighten it.
4. Then take another 1/3 of the whipped cream and gently fold into the lightened mixture.
5. Add the remaining whipped cream and fold the mixture until well combined. 
6. Pour the mixture into an airtight container and cover the opening of the container with cling wrap. Then place the cover.
7. Put container into the freezer and freeze of 6 hours or overnight.


42 comments:

  1. See the ice cream makes me crave for it, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even someone experienced can overwhip and cause the cream to split...then no hope for amateurs like me...hihihi! ;) And with 150ml of condensed milk in the recipe, it's a revelation I can do without...haha! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a fan of condensed milk, eh? Me too but I could not taste it in the ice cream. And you know what. I bought another can hah..hah...

      Delete
  3. I love to eat ice cream! Will try to attempt this because the ice cream maker I have redeemed using bonus points is still in the box after a few years. No need to use ice cream maker is more convenient. What brand of condensed milk and whipping cream did you use? There are so many brands in supermarkets that I don't know which ones taste ok. And also when do you add in the rum? I am not sure whether I missed that out when reading because I can't see the step where you add in the rum if want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used F&N condensed milk and Emborg whipping cream. Ooops...forgot to mention the rum. Add together with the condensed milk. Will amend the recipe.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! You can even make ice-cream. I was just thinking of ice-cream. Of course not mocha. But matcha! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm OK with matcha ice cream but would prefer chocolate hah..hah..

      Delete
  5. Having an ice-cream machine is so cool! Always wanted one too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. yumms......if add rums sure super yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a Number 1 Gila Babi Ice Cream fan!! Thank you for mentioning liquor! I ate the ice cream with liquor in Tokyo and loved it. Now you are tempting me to make this and pour some liquor to eat till mabuk! I think the best ice creams like Haagen Dazz also have condensed milk inside, so better love the Susu Cap Junjung! I must have this susu pekat with my Gold Nescafe which is the best cos made by Oppa TM!

    #MabukAisKrim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought another can of condensed milk. Haiz... Since this no churn ice cream is easy to make, you can make your own and serve at you next dinner party!

      Delete
  8. My missus made ice cream not too long ago but it was not creamy, kind of hard like ais krim potong. Knowing her, she will never make ice cream again as long as she lives - fail once, give up dy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... Your daughter might be game to try this one during the school holidays :)

      Delete
  9. I am a big fan of home made ice cream, always eager to try new recipes:) but now it is so cold in Poland that I had to wait next half a year for this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be worth the wait. Hope you try it in 6 months time :)

      Delete
  10. Wahhh...slurpppp!!!! ice cream is always my favourite.. but I don't think I can do that! surely will end up wasting the ingredients.. LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! No lah, as long as you don't over beat the cream, it is very safe.

      Delete
  11. I wouldn't dare try in case it ends up in the bin! Your ice cream is making me drool! Enjoy first and worry about waistline later. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Want to diet and yet want to eat this and that :D

      Delete
  12. I tried to do a few vegan ice creams. One or two of them turned out pretty good. I agree! Never give up! Try and try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be more home made ice creams to come!

      Delete
  13. Cool!
    I will bodek my son to try and follow your recipe. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you got in-house chef, eh? LOL! Hope your son makes this ice cream for his mummy and daddy :)

      Delete
  14. Lucky that you have ice cream machine, senang kan.
    I pun Ada resepi ice cream nak share dgn you.
    Susu cair satu tin.
    Gula halus setengah cawan.
    Sebiji putih telur.
    Sesudu ovelatt.
    Method.
    I guna hand mixer je, sbb tkde machine ais krim.
    So, mix gula dengan telur sampai kembang putih. Then masukkan ovelatt, pukul lagi, then masukkan susu cair, pukul lagi, then bolehla letak any perisa you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tak pakai the machine pun, tidur dalam freezer hee..hee.. Oh, thanks for the recipe. Nanti bila PH senang, boleh try.

      Delete
  15. Your ice cream looks so yummy and smooth, I would love to have that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that it was smooth and creamy just like regular ice cream.

      Delete
  16. gosh! your ice cream looks purrrrrrr-fect (so good, i can't help purring like a cat!). exactly the texture i like, when it's slightly melty but not too soft, still got 'body' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It was so hard to photograph and style because it melted so fast!

      Delete
  17. Mocha is my favorite ice cream flavor!!! Thank goodness it's COLD here or I'd be making a batch pronto!!! Sounds fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to be able to make ice cream at home! Oh, I wish it were cold over here too :)

      Delete
  18. Dulu dulu Susu Cap Junjung mmg femes. Lani manalah perginya kan. Mesti dah gulung tikar tak pun dah rebranding...

    I tak berapa suka ice cream LL tp makanlah ...
    Bagi mesin aiskrim pada org yg rajin mmg tak sia sia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kan? Dah lama tak jumpa. Sekarang ni, semua namanya creamer. Hanya satu aje jenama F&N yang dipanggil condensed milk. Mahal weyh!

      Aiyo, Hainom tak suka ice cream? Pelik hee..hee..

      Delete
  19. No churn!? Wow! I'm in! Yours looks very creamy. Must say I'd have the same reaction to you about the condensed milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still dislike condensed milk but it works in this ice cream. I can't taste it at all.

      Delete
  20. I've tried to make mango ice cream with the similar method :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that must be very nice. I also want to try!

      Delete
  21. Hi PH, FYI my initial is also PH.:) I happened to have all the ingredients at home and made this IC straightaway. It taste soooo rich. A tad too sweet but that could be due to my 3 in 1 sachet. Since it is so hot now in Australia, this recipe will come in handy and I'll definitely make it again.... and again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hi there PH! LOL! You could reduce the condensed milk a bit to make it less sweet. It's hot and rainy over here. Glad you enjoyed the ice cream :)

      Delete