Tuesday 14 November 2017

Korean BBQ


Another Korean restaurant opened in Damansara Uptown recently. So I went to do a survey and promptly alerted my brother and we invaded the outlet one Saturday for an early lunch.


It's called QingHeGu and is somewhere along the same row as Standard Chartered Bank. Looking at the menu, there are many sets to choose from and we took the easy way out by opting for a set of 3 meats - pork, beef and lamb.

Did you spot the green cili padi?

The first thing we were served was this bowl of soup. It came chilled. Very cold, which is rather strange for soup. My brother asked the server if this soup is meant to be that way and we were informed that yes, this soup is supposedly good for health.

It had a sweetish sourish taste, like pickle juice. There were some pieces of pickled white radish and Chinese cabbage in the soup along with spring onions and a chili padi. The taste was OK for us, it was pleasant enough but it is rather strange to be sipping on cold pickle juice. So we did not finish the soup.


This is the charcoal grill. It was right in front of us and I could feel the heat. Not very pleasant, I'm afraid. Felt dangerous too hah..hah...


The first protein to be grilled was the pork belly. It was not marinated and it tasted very bland.


So the chili dip helped make it tasty. They are rather generous as they gave me a more even before I had finished my first helping of chili.


I was too excited and forgot to take a proper photo of the side dishes.


They were all quite tasty and I especially liked the pumpkin which I initially thought I might dislike.


This salad was delicious. I would have asked for top up had I not been so stuffed.


I think this is the marinated lamb.


It was outstanding. Way better than the oinks.


The beef was equally good. So these would be our choices on our next visit.


We were also served with a basket of raw veggies to accompany the meat.


We only touched the green lettuce and cucumbers. I have never eaten raw Chinese cabbage and I was not about to try. I love green chilies, but how ah? Do I bite into it? If they were sliced, they would be all gone hee..hee...


We were given a jug of iced water so I did not order any drinks. I would say that I enjoyed the food and there will be  a revisit in the near future. Thanks to my brother for the treat!

38 comments:

  1. Korean. Ummmm...the ladies would love this, I guess. Yes, they do have some really hot stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BBQ meat are really good. Actually can order less meat and ask for more refills of the side dishes hee..hee..

      Delete
  2. The lamb and beef look great!
    Korean food is always in my mind but not in my act, cause I had problem to order the right choice in my past visit .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem too. Luckily they had the set of three meats and that made things easier.

      Delete
  3. By the way, how much was this meal of 3 proteins for two persons? Usually when I eat Korean BBQ, I'm also too stuffed to even finish the banchan let alone ask for refills. I actually prefer the pork belly to be not marinated and tasting bland, that wway I can dip them in the flavourful dips provided...especially the salt & sesame oil dip.

    Aiyo, my dear, why didn't you throw the other vegetables (other than the ones you can eat raw) onto the grill? Can you imagine how good blistered chillies, caramelised onions and wilted white cabbage will taste like? Hehe! Yum! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price was somewhere around RM160+ if I remember correctly. Yeah, actually we can eat more banchan and less meat hee..hee..

      When I read your comment, I had a forehead-slapping moment and yeah, why didn't I think of that! Well, that will happen on my next visit hee..hee..

      Delete
  4. The only Korean food that I tried was kimchi. Thanks, but not to my liking hehe.

    But here the beef & lamb look good & tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just OK with kimchi, not crazy about it. Next time, I will only order the beef and lamb :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I enjoy Korean food. Can eat everyday if not so expensive hee..hee..

      Delete
  6. I am also not used to drinking cold soup but will definitely try out a few sips... Like you, I never took that type of cabbage raw before.. green chilli too? Are they supposed to be sauteed together with the meat or what? Add some kimchi in? hahahaa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually you are right. Can grill the raw veggie. My brain was not working properly that day hah..hah...

      Delete
  7. Your post reminds me of the real authentic Korean food I had when I visited Korean few years ago!
    Just their plain rice and Banchan is already very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya hor, just order one meat and ask them to top up the banchan. Kautim!

      Delete
  8. Korean BBQ looks yummy..pedas tak PH?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sos cili dia pedas tapi tak sepedas cili api. PH agak, bagi Lina, mungkin takde kick kot hah..hah...

      Delete
  9. Sound like a good first time dining experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was once like you for not knowing how to eat Korean dishes until I lived together with real Korean at boarding school. You should invite me when your good brother treats you again. I will wrap the meat with chinese cabbage and feed your mouth the Gangnam style! You will love Oppa TM!

    The cold soup is something new but I remembered they have like appetizer tonics served cold too. You should go on a ski trip to South Korea with your lahling and enjoy their food to maximum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..Oppa TM LOL! My dream is to go to Korea in winter with my lahling. But we won't go skiing lah...scared!

      Delete
  11. you are tempting me with the beef and the lamb but as I don't like sitting near to the heat of the grill I don't think I will visit this place. Enjoy yourself during your next visit! no, I can't spot the green chilli in the cold soup, just saw the long green spring onion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cili padi is near the soup ladle. Look again :)

      Delete
    2. Hah, don't know why I could not see it earlier. Now that you mentioned the location, I can see it easily. :)

      Delete
  12. I have only tasted once Korean bbq. Not familiar with Korean food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't suppose there are many Korean restaurants in Ipoh?

      Delete
  13. Pantang ada new opening ye korang hihi...Nasiblah ada adik yg sama kepala ye LL. Senang nak dibawak berbincang makan makan gitu haha....
    Salad tu mcm sayur goreng melayu je haha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee..tak sabar2 LL dah bergegas2 kat sana dengan adik. Salad tu sedap tau, Hainom. Nanti LL cari resipi dan cuba buat kat rumah.

      Delete
  14. quite a feast! i was almost expecting a pork-free restaurant, since their banner out front proclaims 'restoran korea' in the largest all-caps font! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good but a bit rushed as we had a movie to catch. The beef and lamb were the stars here.

      Delete
  15. What a feast. I love all of the side dishes that come with Korean barbeque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, me too. The side dishes are the highlights for me. It can really fill one up :)

      Delete
  16. for me, everything looked very tasty:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually was maybe except for the cold soup.

      Delete
  17. I only like the pork and the kimchi when it comes to Korean food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see. I enjoy mostly everything hee..hee..

      Delete
  18. I love Korean BBQ and there was a crazy period where I had it once a month but Korean food never come cheap >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lor, quite pricey. I also don't have it often even though I wish I could.

      Delete