Thursday 31 August 2023

No Merdeka For Me

Well, so much for planning to do a through housekeeping on Merdeka Day. It was not to be.

Dad was discharged from the hospital today, so I went to my brother's house to receive him, just like the other day. While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, I made myself a mug of iced coffee.


Ah! So refreshing. Then for want of nothing better to do, I took my blood pressure.


Adoi! Today's BP reading was high pulak. I wasn't stressed or anything like that but when the arm cuff tightens I feel a bit stressed. It's silly because it's not as if it will cut off my blood supply. So I relaxed for about 10 minutes and took another reading.


Ah! This is so much better. Anyway, our BP is not constant, it changes throughout the day.

Then I felt hungry. Haiz! I thought I can tahan until a bit later but I better eat. So I Grabfood.


Steamed chicken (half) and I ate with the sauce and ginger paste. I did not touch the chili dip.


The ambulance arrived before 2:00pm and dad is now home safe and sound. After he finished his lunch I walked to the office. 

So now, let's talk about yesterday. As usual, I made my trip to the hospital in the morning. Past 11:00am, mum and I left and we took Grabcar to my brother's house.

On the way home mum lamented that she never imagined that one person's poor health can so severely disrupt the lives of their loved ones. Well, it is what it is, we just have to accept and cope as best as we can. True, there is disruption in our work schedule, personal time and all that, but what to do? Not complaining, just telling it like it is.

That brings to mind an article circulated on whatsapp a while back, the topic being "the best gift you can give to your children is your own good health" which didn't quite hit home until now.

Anyways, after chatting with mum, I walked back to Damansara Utama


And ended up at Donald's shop Twins Signature Roast Duck. It was past 12:00pm and it is not possible to get a seat at the eateries that I like to frequent at The Starling.

Everything was good except that the char siew was too lean. Next time I must specify that I want fats heh...heh...


I noted that their ordering system has been upgraded.


See, you can now specify your requirements. Previously there was just Hot or Cold options.


There is also a remark section where I could input "kopi C ais kosong" and not need to kacau the see thau phor. This is a more intelligent menu.


On my way back to the office, I passed by The Good Batch and decided to check out their specials.


Just as I was busy snapping away, a server dashed out to greet me with the full menu.


So I had him hold up the menu so that I could get a clear shot. Now that I no longer have social anxiety (thanks to the carnivore diet), I am quite the menace.


This menu is new (well, from the last time I was there) and some of the old items are still intact while some are new additions.


I must say that I liked what I saw. I mentioned to the chap that as far as I remember, the coffee at The Good Batch is da bomb! (hopefully this statement still rings true). Then he tells me "oh, there is no coffee" and I was like "WHAT??? WHY???".

Apparently the coffee machine broke down (get it serviced pronto!!!) and what he meant was, there was no coffee that day and not no coffee forever. It would take 2 or 3 days to repair. Now that is NOT good. No coffee means I won't come (yet) hah..hah..


At The Starling a new outlet is opening soon.


Rollti.co - some roti place for the carb eaters. I am curious what sort of things they serve. We'll see.


Monday and Tuesday these were my dinner.


Chicken wings, sausage and casserole. These were cooked on Sunday and I just needed to reheat in my toaster oven.


That sausage was purchased from The Butcher's Table. I meant to blog about it but didn't have the time. There are another three packets in the freezer, so I still have chance to write a post.

I can't remember the flavor of the sausage because they did not label it when they vacuum packed for me. But it was really good. Delicious!


The casserole (second time making it) looks all messed up but it was crispy and tasted very good. Even better than freshly made. Crispy cheese tastes better than gooey cheese to me. 

10 comments:

  1. We went back to Secret Recipe today for the buy 2 cakes get another one free Merdeka Day promo. That is enough sweetness for the rest of the year, I think. Gotta control a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I have forgotten about their Merdeka Day promotion. Yes, we should avoid the sweet stuff, once in a while it is all right.

      Delete
  2. Well, I understand what your mother means. Anyway you and I don't have to give any gifts to our children because we don't have any. 😁 people used to ask me why I don't have children and my reply is the best gift I give to my children is not to have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many people see it that way. They think those of us who choose to be child free are strange.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Removed my comment because you have already answered it in the comment of the teochew braise food post.

      Delete
  4. It is so true. Good health is the best gift. I can imagine you must be enjoying the sausages. They looked good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health is wealth because medical treatments can drain whatever wealth that you have accumulated. Must have medical and hospitalization insurance, or else really suffer.

      Delete
  5. "The best gift you can give to your children is your own good health", this is what I always tell my mom and my hubby (so that he can tell my mil =.="), but the latter seem like doesn't understand it...... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a concept many people must realize. If they don't take care of their health and become sick when they are old, they become a burden to their loved ones. It is no joke when a family member is seriously ill. So we must all do our part to save the next generation from a lot of trouble.

      Delete