Thursday 10 August 2023

Sad

This morning my dad was taken by ambulance to the hospital. My brother and my mum followed by car and as at the time of writing, dad is still in the ER. He is stable, just waiting for blood transfusion and to be placed in a ward.

The healthcare system is so overloaded and you have to wait for hours before you are attended to. The doctors are busy and so are the rest of the medical personnel. So where possible, you really need to take good care of your health and not become part of the statistics.

A client of mine once told me many years ago (after a particularly bad experience caring for his wife at the hospital) - whatever you do, don't get sick. Well, that's what I am trying to do. It is very heartbreaking when a family member is seriously ill. The amount of resources is draining in terms of manhours and finances involved, not to mention the emotional toll. It is very sad indeed.


After breakfast yesterday, this was what was left for lunch. I am getting used to eating meat cold/at room temperature.


Then this was yesterday's dinner. Beef trimmings tossed on turmeric powder and some bottled seasonings.


Last Saturday I ended up at Donald Duck's place again. This time the siew yoke was fresh and crispy. The duck too.


I was feeling kinda down but life goes on. So I went to watch a stupid movie (Meg 2 : The Trench) to get my mind off things. 


Ah, I found a photo of a raw steak. I learnt that to get a nice sear on your steak, you must dab the surface dry. But dabbing with a paper towel is not very effective. So I just air dry the steak overnight on the fridge. It works beautifully, just like air drying chicken overnight before you roast it for that lovely crispy skin.


These were the pork loins that I cooked for breakfast/lunch. As you can see, pork is actually red meat.


To cheer myself up, I went out for a nice cup of coffee. And an Old Fashioned Chicken Chop. As per my current SOP, I removed the carbs.


Dang! The potato wedges were so beautifully browned.


The chicken was very tender and moist and crispy. Really good but priced the same as the pork chops. So I reckon it is more worth it to eat the Classic Pork Chops.


Then I went to Daiso to jalan2 and they were playing a very sappy sad sounding Japanese song and I became teary eyed thinking about my dad. I wished they had played that "ada roti, ada telur" song instead.

So I quickly walked out of there. I will be visiting dad tomorrow and I look forward to that.

12 comments:

  1. I am truly sorry for what you are going through. Why must human lives have so much suffering? This is all about karma. I just got home at 4.00am right now after handing over the ailing step father's baby sitting duties to my friend who just arrived from Bangkok as you are aware. I had a hard time being holed up with an Aussie stranger!! Lol

    I will have time to revert back as I have compiled everything.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TM! Please rest and catch up with your sleep. Do not compromise your health. You are truly kind for helping your friend.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that PH. I wish a speedy recovery and good health for your father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Puan Hazel! I really appreciate your kind wishes.

      Delete
  3. Hope your dad is ok. Been there, done that...with my dad and especially my mum, when they were still around. Hardly anytime to breathe. We went to a private hospital here so it wasn't too bad as compared to going to the general hospital. Indeed, I am hoping that when my time comes, I would just drop dead - may the good Lord spare me of all this suffering!
    I'd go for the siew yoke and the duck. Not so much into chicken - I'd love those Hainanese pork chops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is stable for now, thank you. That's what we all hope for when our time comes, go quickly with no suffering.

      Delete
  4. Stay strong and hope your dad a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Choi Yen! I still have hope.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your papa being admitted, hope all will be well with him and with your family. Yes, we can pray that we never fall into serious illnesses, nevertheless our lives are in God's hands. However no matter what happens, we need to stay strong and I, for one, have collapsed into anxieties when my brother passed away two years after my sister. Life is tough for us, we just need to overcome and moral support to go through them.
    Have a safe trip back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Claire! You have been through so much. You are right, our fate lies in God's hands. So all I can do is pray for my papa and have faith in the Lord.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, sorry to hear about your dad's admission to hospital again. From what I gather, having to wait for hours, I believe your dad is not in a private hospital? I don't like the waiting in general hospitals...patient might even konk while waiting to be treated if it's an urgent case. >.<

    Yes, I've recently learnt about the benefit of air drying my chicken in the fridge too. And yes, pork is, of course red meat (anyone can see that). To those who think pork isn't red meat is just trying to convince themselves like me trying to convince myself processed meat is good coz I simply love to eat them....lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad is at a private hospital and even then there is a long wait. I was at the ER (for anxiety attack) at another private hospital myself back in 2021. My partner and I waited for 4 hours! In the end we left because I felt better by then LOL!

      I read that pork is considered white meat and then red meat, so confusing but now we know it is red. Oh yeah, processed meat, I love them too!

      Delete