Sunday 27 August 2023

When A Carnivore Goes To Teo Chew Lor


Friday and yesterday I was on a 23:1 fasting schedule. Meaning fast for 23 hours with one hour eating window.

Fasting 23:1 is pretty much OMAD (one meal a day) and I had no trouble going without food for 23 hours. And guess what? I had another meet up with TM.

Those of you who follow TM's blog would know that he is an agent for a bereavement service provider. And if you have been following my blog you would be aware that I was looking into bereavement services as a preparation for the inevitable. That was the reason for our meet up.

On Saturday we met up again for me to pick up documentation for my records. Our meeting point was the food court at The Starling. Where else right? hah..hah...

I waited for him here.


He waited for me there.


So I made my way to where he was seated. TM was aware that I was fasting and after passing the file records to me, he went to get his lunch and belanja me one kopi o ais kosong.


Unfortunately for TM, Pho Real was closed and he had no choice but to get a curry mee from Triple Happiness. Before I knew it, two hours had passed. As usual, TM had lots of stories to tell me and time flew by so quickly! 

Not only that, he was so thoughtful to bring a gift for my parents.


My partner and I delivered the gift to my parents that evening (it was raining cats and dogs!) and my mummy was delighted. Thank you, TM!

After we said our goodbyes, I went back to the office to continue with what I had to do. Near 5:00pm, I had to go break my fast. So I took up Kris' suggestion which she left me in a comment.


I have not been to Teow Chew Lor in a long time. The food was not appealing to me but as Kris pointed out, they serve braised meats and that would be right up my alley.


When I opened the menu, there is was, all the braised meat dishes. 


So I wrote the code for the Combo Platter on the order chit. The server made a u-turn and returned to advise me that my order is "ho tai" (very big). I assured her that it was OK because I brought along a container and if there were leftovers, I would take them home. 


That up there is my, how to say, ruse, which I utilize to assure the restaurant staff that they should not worry about the portion size of my order. At RM36.00, I can tell that the Combo Platter cannot be that big.


I also ordered an iced tea just in case I tercekik while eating dinner.


There you go. It's not big at all (by my standards) and is manageable. 


I cannot understand why they can't serve one whole egg. Instead of setting aside one half of the egg for another customer, just serve both halves, kautim. I might have received another order's half.


So how was it? I am sorry to say that the dish was bland. I remember it was stronger tasting. The broth was very watered down. But all the meat and stomach/intestines tasted all right, they were fresh.


There were condiments provided on every table and the chili dip made the dish taste better.


Before long, I was done.


See. All gone. My container remained empty heh..heh..


Would I come back? Not really, unless if I have no other choice. The reviews on Google were a dismal 2.8 out of 173 reviews but Teo Chew Lor has prevailed for a good many years since opening. I guess they have their fans.

12 comments:

  1. This is really Teochew's signature dish.. Braising... on the positive side, it is better to be bland than salty cos you are eating without the carbs... :) Not sure I can go with OMAD, salute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true what you said and luckily the chili dip was nice. Don't do OMAD if you can't. I had a few years practice with intermittent fasting.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, I'm sorry that my suggestion of Teo Chew Lor turned out to be a disappointment. I didn't know they had only a 2.8 rating (I should have googled the Starling branch first!) as I based my suggestion on the Pudu branch with a 4.3 rating. Sometimes it's difficult to wrap our heads round how two branches food can differ by so much! >_< That dish is "ho tai" coz the server was expecting you to eat it with rice...and that platter was probably meant for two (with rice lah)....lol.

    Good to see TM up and about and cheerful. It was very nice of him to come bearing gifts for your parents....a gift for his no. 1 customer....wakakakaka! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't be sorry. Actually it was a good suggestion just that their kitchen (I think) is not well supervised. Quality control is always an issue which is why no two branches are the same. Even with a bowl of rice, I can handle that dish LOL!

      TM has a good spirit and attitude towards life and it is my hope that he continues to do well and to stay positive!

      Delete
  3. The braised gravy..... it's looked like soy sauce, diluted one.. =.="

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very diluted until not much taste >.< Luckily they provide chili dip and that improved the flavor of the food.

      Delete
  4. The platter is not ho tai in your photos. That day I just ate meat for my omad and my weight went right down the next morning, I guess eating meat won't retain water in the body compared to eating rice and noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah! Carnivore for one day. Yes, carbohydrates make us retain fluids.

      Delete
  5. There is a new similar shop called restoran Kimberley duck kuih chiap (Kuan Kee) a few shops away from Hot Bird uptown. Online articles say their braised tender pork head is worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about it and passed by when it first opened. Yes, I will go there and try the food. Wait until the crowd dies down first.

      Delete