Sunday 20 August 2023

Chicken Karaage

On Thursday obviously I had to eat something else (for variety), although I honestly would not mind another round of duck and siew yoke.

As usual, I went to the hospital (at the time of writing my dad is already at home) to visit my dad. Dad was feeling better although he was still lethargic.

Late morning mum and I left the hospital and we Grabcar to my brother's house. After a chat with mum I left for the office. When I reached Damansara Utama, I made my way to The Starling.


On my walk I spotted this sleeping kitty. Somehow I have to stop for a kitty. This one was fast asleep and didn't even wake up when I took its photo.


I passed by Yitcha Kaw Kaw Kopitiam and there was a queue outside. It was already past 1:00pm at that time.


At Red Kettle the lunch crowd was in full swing but there was a vacant small table for me. So I took my seat and wondered what to eat. As usual I had a Flat White. I love the coffee here.


I ordered my meal from the Light Bites section and the most suitable item was Chicken Karaage. It's not exactly ideal though since fried chicken is always coated with flour. 


It was served with two condiments - mayonnaise and a chili garlic dip. Those green things are deep fried kaffir lime leaves (which were aromatic and awesome).


The chicken was fried to perfection, the batter was light and crispy and the chicken was moist and flavorful. The crispy fried kaffir lime leaves added another dimension to the flavor and aroma. 


I squeezed the calamansi lime on the chicken and dipped the tasty morsels in mayonnaise and chili. I really liked this Chicken Karaage. It makes for a nice light meal and honestly, I can eat two portions hah...hah....


For dinner I had a ribeye and some hard boiled eggs.


The meat was very lean and that's why I added some butter to the hard boiled eggs.

12 comments:

  1. I like the look of the chili garlic dip with the chicken karaage. Glad to hear your dad's home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dip was good, very spicy, you and your missus will like. Thanks, I am very happy that dad is home.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that your father are at home now.
    I can have two plates of the chicken karaage too ... ratah-ratah surely sedap πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Puan Hazel. Yeah, this chicken karaage is nice for ratah-ratah. Must order more plates so that your kids can enjoy too!

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried chicken karaage before but they sure looks crispy to me! Wahhh.. butter over eggs, so yummy, I also took a hard boil egg this morning but without butter... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken karaage is my partner's favorite when we dine out at Japanese restaurant. I am sure you would love it too.

      Delete
  4. I've not seen crispy fried kaffir lime leaves used like this as it's usually crispy fried curry leaves. Hmmm, I should try that next time since I've got plenty of kaffir lime leaves at my disposal (next door)...hehehe! ;) P/S: I finally saw those organic steak cuts at Aeon last Saturday but none of them had price tags on them (not sure why), so I didn't dare buy in case the prices are too much at checkout...lol. I also saw some steak cuts (that were all lean) and also dare not buy for fear it might turn out chewy (without any fats) like the ones you had here....haiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice, you must try deep fried kaffir lime leaves (since got free supply next door wahahaha!!). They are so aromatic. Organic steak cuts? I have not seen that at Aeon 1 Utama. Frankly the steak cuts at Aeon are not ideal as they don't taste good.

      Delete
  5. I like your piece of lean beef steak. So yummy. Yit char kaw kaw at Sri Petaling also very popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you prefer lean meat, so it is perfect for you.

      Delete
  6. I can't resist any kind of fried chicken, especially those with skin on, yumeh~

    ReplyDelete