Saturday 4 March 2023

Today I Ate Chicken

The first time I visited Nando's @ The Starling was back in 2019. When the restaurant first opened, it drew the crowds and after the excitement died down, it is now more on the quiet side.

My brother dropped me off at my office today (after visiting my parents) and I decided to settle my lunch before going into the office. I am on OMAD today and I will not have to bother with dinner.

What to eat, ah? As long as I don't have to eat carbohydrates I am fine. So I thought of Nando's - grilled chicken and some (low carb) veggies would be lovely. 


It was about 11:30am and I was the first dine-in to step into the restaurant. See how quiet it is but a few customers dropped in after that.

When I took my seat, something caught my eye.


Is that the seat peeling off?


Oh dear dear! It has been 3 years+ since they opened and the seats are already showing wear and tear.


Other than those seats, everything else looks fine.


After I was seated, the server brought me the menu and informed me that ordering is done online. Just scan the QR code, order and pay. 

I have never done ordering like this before and I had to look for my QR scanner. It's an app that I hardly use.



It took me awhile to get the hang of it hah...hah...





I settled on the 1/2 chicken with 1 side - Pineapple Peri-Peri Flavor and Chargrilled Veg. Good thing that the drinks on this combo are not compulsory since I don't take sugary drinks.

I ordered the iced Americano from the Bottomless Coffee, Tea & Chocolate menu.


As I was waiting for my order, I observed the diners from the next table going behind our seats to take their ice and soft drinks.


Ah! That's how to do it. I am so jakun.


There you go, my coffee and my meal. 


The coffee was quite strong tasting. I doubt if I could down another serving. I did not use the sugar syrup.


You know what I miss from here? 


The chargrilled veggies! They taste just as good and the first time I had them.


The chicken was pretty good too, very smoky, fresh and moist. I ate the breast first because I like to save the best part for last. 

It was a pity that I could hardly taste the Pineapple Peri Peri sauce.  There was just too little of it coating the chicken. Bah! If only they would give us a small serving of the sauce on the side with the meal. 

That was a really good lunch and in future I will not order drinks to save some money.


By the way if anyone is interested in doing a Nando's at home, you can check this out :



14 comments:

  1. Your chicken looks so good. Oh! Nandos, no less. No wonder!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pricey but ok for the once in a while treat.

      Delete
  2. Now here also some places start to do this online ordering, so need to prepare to look through the online menu and order. I don't like it. Still prefer the actual menu where you can flip and see properly before ordering.

    Nando's peri peri chicken actually pretty good. Usually I go for mild, not too spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still give the hard copy menu for reference but must order online. I need to get used to it!

      Delete
  3. A lot of the restaurants are now adopted the online ordering method..there are some barcode scanning app got advertisements which is not pleasant at all..my daughter helped me to download "Lens" recently. Nando's meals are pretty good, the last time I had Nando's was at Aeon, Melaka last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting the hang of it and actually it is convenient. I enjoyed my meal and will visit again.

      Delete
  4. They used to have bottles of peri peri sauces for customers to pour as much as they want. No more ? Not giving free flow sauces anymore? Times must be hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they have the bottled sauces but not the pineapple peri peri sauce >.<

      Delete
  5. So coincidental that you ate Nando's on Sat....we ate it again on Sat too (before they take the pineapple peri-peri off their menu) as I enjoyed it so much (the second time in a week!). It was supposed to have ended in Feb so I enquired before taking a seat if that flavour was still available. They say it'll be available until the stock of the sauce finishes, then it'll be taken off the menu. :'( P/S: The seats need some serious refurbishment. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops! I went there again too today hee...hee... Although I got a more generous basting, somehow I can't taste much of the pineapple peri peri sauce >.<

      Delete
  6. It's common for fake leather furniture or goods to have "peeling" problem like that, hehe :P
    I just read Kris's post and now yours, kind of double up my temptation lah, aiyo~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also had old handbags peel like that. LOL! Go and eat Nando's lah hee..hee..

      Delete
  7. i usually order the mild one, and add on peri peri sauce later from the sauce bottle. With this i can adjust the spicy level while enjoying the peri peri sauce. Many restaurants have started the online ordering since lockdown, even at Tony Roma....some even go fully digital and accept only cashless payment (such as Memorie cafe and Dolly Dim Sum)....gosh...i must make sure that i have enough credit on my eWallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good idea. I don't really like their sauces but I enjoy the smoky flavor of the chicken. I guess we need to get used to online ordering and payment.

      Delete