Thursday 29 September 2022

Yummy Beef Trimmings

Carnivore foods are rarely good looking. And there is not much you can do to pretty up your plate.

Let me show you what I have been enjoying lately.


These are beef trimmings. When the meat is butchered, inevitably there will be cast offs which are in all sorts of shapes and sizes. They are packaged as soup meat and are also commonly known as daging tetel or daging cincang

The beef trimmings are often good for braising because they tend to be tough but you will also find some pieces that are tender, since they come from all parts of the cow. I used to buy these (and mix with beef chunks) to cook Kuzi Daging and Beef Soup.


Recently I found another way to enjoy these beef trimmings. Give them a rinse, pat dry and season with salt, turmeric powder and garlic powder.

Then I line my air fryer basket with a piece of baking paper and cook the seasoned beef trimmings in the air fryer for 12 minutes at 200C.


They come out all nicely browned and crispy, There will be some pieces that are a bit more chewy than others and I love the fatty bits. These taste pretty much like Daging Goreng Kunyit.

So last Sunday, I cooked two packets of beef trimmings.


Then I sat on the sofa in front of the TV and ate while watching Monster : The Jeffrey Dahmer Story on Netflix. It's not exactly the sort of show to watch while eating.

I must say that I enjoyed the story (having read about Dahmer, a serial killer, in my early twenties) although it was a bit difficult to watch owing to the graphic depiction of what Dahmer did.


So these days, I look out for these beef trimmings as they are a nice change from eating steaks (and obviously cheaper too).


This was the latest batch that I had yesterday evening. Fuss free and easy to cook. I am really enjoying this carnivore lifestyle.

20 comments:

  1. I am in as long as they are tender for my teeth!! Lol.

    That is a way to enjoy the meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were mostly tender except one or two pieces that need a lot of chewing. LOL!

      Delete
  2. I bought once these trimming and it turned out to be all fat bits and chewy part, so unlucky. ~>_<~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, depends on luck. Some of the earlier batches I bought were very fatty.

      Delete
  3. Good that you found a quick way to cook them and they are tasty. I guess they will tend to keep you full for a longer time since there are more fats than lean steaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was very filling. I love the crispy fatty parts. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Correction! That beef dish of your looks gorgeous! Too bad I'm staying off red meat. Craving for beef noodles every day. Sobs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May be enjoyable for you....but certainly not for me. Eating something as oily as that I'll feel "jelak". In fact, I already feel "jelak" looking at it (made worse by the oil I see collected at the bottom of the plate). >_< This is coming from someone who would even cut away the fatty bits from her ribeye steak...lol (which ends up on her husband's plate)! ;D That's why I can't be a carnivore...as I'll be forced to eat something I dread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, fatty meat is not your thing. I love the fatty bits hee..hee..

      Delete
  6. As long as they are tasty, I don't care about how they look... LOL... Eat while your teeth are still strong and good cos my ones are really as old as I am now... cannot chew as much as I used to... LOL...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still chew but have to be careful since I have had 3 root canals already. Ouch!

      Delete
  7. i don't bother about the look....if it tastes & smells good just wallop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely taste good with turmeric and salt. If got rice even better hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. Looks doesn't matter much to me as long as they are tasty and not chewy. Gone were the days when I no problem with chewing tough meat. I bought once but after trimming away all the fat, I don't have much meat left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time the trimmings are very fatty but sometimes I can get the leaner ones with minimal fats.

      Delete
  9. With my special diet nowadays, I should become a carnivore too. I have been avoiding most vegetables and fruits for lowest fibre diet due to my complicated bowel issues. Like Rose pointed out above about her teeth to chew the meat, it has become my issues too due to my unbelievable nerve damages. I used to love biting ice cubes and hard sugar canes or nuts but not anymore. Sobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I learnt, too much fiber can cause irritation to our bowels. It is also very troublesome because when one eats too much fiber, will sure pangsai/pang phooi many times a day wahahahaha!! I avoid biting anything hard now because I have already had three root canals. Ouch!

      Delete
  10. Trimmings are the best, especially when the edges are nicely caramelised.

    ReplyDelete