Tuesday 3 March 2020

How To Make Roasted Pumpkin Puree


When making cakes/kueh that require pumpkin puree, I prefer to roast the pumpkin instead of steaming. I don't know, I just find that roasting brings better aroma and sweetness.

When buying pumpkin for this purpose, I prefer pumpkin that has been sliced in half rather than wedges. Why? So that the pumpkin can lie flat on the baking tray without any of the cut parts exposed. But it does not really matter. I'm just being a fussy old pot.


Give the outer part of the pumpkin a rinse to remove any impurities.


Before you roast the pumpkin, remove the seeds and pulp. Oh ya, preheat your oven to 180C.


Just use a spoon and go for it. Dig, dig, dig.


Place the pumpkin, cut side down on a baking tray. Roast at 180C for about 50 minutes until the pumpkin is tender. To test, pierce the pumpkin with a knife. Go all the way in to make sure that the pumpkin is cooked all the way through.


Remove from the oven and let the pumpkin cool. Once it is cool enough to handle, you can use a spoon to scoop out the flesh.


I like to store about 200-250g into containers.


This time, I got two containers of pumpkin flesh.


I store the roasted pumpkin flesh in the freezer for future use.


Easy, right?

13 comments:

  1. I love to eat roasted pumpkin so I think I will scoop it all into my mouth and stomach instead of into containers to be freezed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...yes, it's nice eaten like that too :)

      Delete
  2. What a clever Ah Hong Chee! I never thought that pumpkins could be roasted. That's because I am a moron inside the kitchen.

    I always bought sliced pumpkins so that I could see the colour inside to make sure it was ripe enough. My wife often made easy pumpkin soup for our guests. Most of them were bumpkins who had never tasted her delicious pumpkin soup. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Pumpkin in soups is really delicious. Wait lah, Ah Hong Chee also want to cook pumpkin soup!

      Delete
  3. I had eaten pumpkin puree at a vegetarian restaurant before and i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, something different from mashed potatoes.

      Delete
  4. My missus makes pumpkin soup, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pumpkin soup and it's so easy to make. Must try out this easy version of your roasted pumpkin. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that you find this method suitable for you!

      Delete
  6. I think roasted pumpkin will not release so much water if compared with steamed pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taste is better too, deeper flavor.

      Delete
  7. I also always roast pumpkin to make a puree

    ReplyDelete