Wednesday 4 March 2020

Durian Cendol


This cendol thingy happened early in the year. After my visit to Kakatoo @ The Starling, I came back for something that was nagging at the back of my mind. Durian Cendol! heh..heh...

Of course I had to eat my main meal first. Nasi lemak with Rendang Tok.


It was good. No complaints from me although the rice was not that lemak.


I requested for the Durian Cendol to be served after I was done with the nasi lemak.


Oh! How fancy. The cendol was served with a separate serving of sago in coconut milk and gula Melaka.


A big blob of (not-so- good-quality) durian ice cream sat on top of the cendol.


I poured the pink sago into the cendol. The cube you see on the left side of the bowl is frozen durian puree. That would melt into the cendol to give you natural durian. But I'm afraid frozen durian puree does not taste that great. Some of the cendol jelly was frozen. 


This whole cendol experience was overpowered by not-very-nice tasting durian and I'm afraid it was not the experience I was expecting. Cendol with fresh durian flesh would make a world of difference. So, curiosity satisfied, no more.

21 comments:

  1. How disappointing!!! Come to Sibu, we'll go for the durian ice cream at Payung, fresh durian cream, so very nice! And you can enjoy their tempoyak too - actually, it's cooked durian, it's not fermented so I do not think of it as tempoyak. Come! Come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Payung! hee..hee.. Who knows one day my partner will take me for a holiday in Sibu!

      Delete
  2. I think the durian puree in your chendol was not made from quality ones. Maybe it came from Thailand as their prices are cheaper and less fragrance. I often ate those McDonald's durian ice cream which used quality D24 puree and it tasted very fabulous until I could see my 4 grandmothers in heavens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyoyo! I wonder if McD still have their durian ice cream. I might have missed it!

      Delete
  3. That frozen durian puree I thought looked like a piece of tofu! >_< Since I don't eat durian, I won't need to satisfy my curiosity + I really dislike cendol that's frozen. Just give me the side bowl of sago in coconut milk then with a light drizzle of gula melaka and I'm good to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. I thought it looked like tofu too! Next time I will just order their regular cendol and hopefully it is good.

      Delete
  4. Maybe now not durian season.. if you didn't tell us that the cube is durian, I would have overlooked that... I thought the yellow ice cream is mixed with fresh durian. I tried once too in Ipoh here, I still prefer the original cendol with fresh cendol... hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Original is probably still the best but I don't mind some fresh musang king durian hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. This Durian Cendol definitely doesn't look like what I've expected. May I know the price so that I can judge if this Durian cendol worthy :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I can't remember the price but I remember it is not cheap LOL!

      Delete
  6. I prefer to eat durian in its original form....So, leave cendol as it is....not worth to 'kahwin' them both...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True true, durian is best eaten on its own.

      Delete
  7. SS2 durian serves fresh durian meat with cendol so I guess that is what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind trying cendol with fresh durian meat even though i think i would prefer the original cendol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nasi lemak with rendang followed by cendol with durian puree - this is the definition of an indulgent workday lunch! i totally approve, heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say that indulgent workday lunch is my only vice hee..hee..

      Delete
  10. I am drooling over the nasi lemak. Durian cendol sounds yummy but I prefer cendol served with fresh durians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With fresh durians is definitely better but sadly they don't serve it like that here.

      Delete
  11. Try Durian King in ss2. They use their own durian in the durian cendol.

    ReplyDelete