Friday 21 June 2019

Esquire Kitchen, 1 Utama


A long time ago, Esquire Kitchen@Atria Damansara Jaya was a favorite dinner venue for my partner and I. We loved the food and every time we visited, we would have 4 bowls of rice each. Yes, 4 bowls of rice each hah...hah....

Then there was a change in management. New faces. Same menu. But the taste was different. After that one visit, we never returned. We reckon, the chef was no longer there. 

True enough we discovered a new restaurant at Sunway Pyramid (sorry, I can't remember the name) where we spotted the old captain who recognized us instantly.

Many dishes on the menu were very familiar and we tasted the unmistakable Esquire Kitchen flavor that we loved. Sadly we visited only twice as Sunway Pyramid is out of the way for us.

Fast forward many years later, we found Esquire Kitchen at 1 Utama and we visited for dinner. Madam was not impressed with the food and we never returned.

But one Friday evening, running out of places to eat, my partner suggested that we give Esquire Kitchen another try. I agreed.


We were early that evening and had no trouble getting a table.


When I looked at the menu, I saw some of my old favorites. For drinks, we shared a herbal drink, my partner's choice lah. I am not really into herbal drinks.


It was a tad too sweet for us. So we requested for warm water to dilute the drink.


I couldn't resist the fried chicken with onion ringsIt came with a sauce that was sweet and sour. I'm afraid I did not really like the sauce. It was a good thing that it was served on the side.


The fried chicken and onion rings were just all right. I won't order this dish again.


This stir fried French beans is an old favorite. But not as delicious as the one I had at the old Esquire Kitchen.


Another old favorite, brinjal with minced pork. I liked this.


Then my most favorite dish was served. I miss this one a lot.


Pork strips Szechuan style. Yes! This dish tasted very similar to the one I loved at the old Esquire Kitchen. This dish alone would make me come back.

Total damage RM121.50. I think we can get reacquainted with Esquire Kitchen but we may not visit so often as it does burn a hole in the pocket. And no, we did not have 4 bowls of rice each. I had only one (ahem!) and he had two.

26 comments:

  1. I would like to try the pork strip. Szechuan didh huh? Spicy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you could easily cook Pork strips Szechuan style at home since you are a good cook. I guess you like the zhar choy (preserved vegetables cut in stripes, that taste. different places sell same zhar choy but with slightly different taste so must buy the same one as those used here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt if I could get the same taste hee..hee..

      Delete
  3. All the four dishes you ate, I've had it before too coz there's an Esquire Kitchen in the very taman I live, so it's quite convenient to have our meals there sometimes (not too often as their prices have skyrocketed from earlier days). Aiks, this brinjal with minced pork dish that you like (which you've asked me to share the recipe, so paiseh-lah coz mine's just simply fried with oyster sauce)...doesn't this one taste like that? The key is of course to get the brinjal really soft.

    The fried chicken with onion rings, I also had it once only and, like you, I didn't like the sauce at all. That pork strips with jicama, cloud ear fungus and cha choy, I'm sure you can cook this at home too. As for the french beans dish, the one at my place looks a lot better than your one. In fact, I think most of the dishes look better than the ones you show here. Perhaps I should take photos when I eat here to let you see the comparison...haha! ;) The Esquire Kitchen here has been around for many years and their servers are now old aunties but I don't know if the chefs are still the same ones as we can't see into the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice that you have an Esquire Kitchen at your taman. If the taste has been the same all along, I trust that the same chefs are still there. Yes, please share your dining experience when you next visit Esquire Kitchen. I still miss the old taste which I find is lots better than what is served now. Another favorite (I have so many favorites) is the kai teng. I used to almost always order that in the old days.

      Delete
  4. I visited Esquire Kitchen some time ago (3-4 years ago I tink) and found that the food just so-so...Only the Dongbo pork made a lasting impression...others just normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that was what I though when I visited after they changed management.

      Delete
  5. Found some yummy eggplant and minced pork recipes on the web.

    http://kitchenmisadventures.com/2018/06/01/claypot-brinjal-with-minced-pork/

    http://themeatmen.sg/eggplant-with-minced-pork/

    http://delishar.com/2013/10/spicy-eggplant-and-minced-meat.html

    https://youtu.be/eNlnObNP5AE

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite a long long time ago...at Sg Wang but more recent visits, including their outlet at Mid Valley, had been disappointing. Would rather go elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esquire Kitchen is an "old name" from yesteryears! Yes, I still remember this restaurant, it used to be high end those days and I couldn't afford to go during that time. LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very established and my mum also knows it from her earlier days hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. I ever ordered minced pork with brinjal at canton i in jb and i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now i want to eat tofu with veggie, those looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still in awe over just how many undiscovered food places there are in Malaysia! It sure is the world capital of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots to discover and I ought to be more adventurous and venture out of PJ to find more good eats.

      Delete
  11. Sometimes we enjoyed the food so much but when we go back again, we couldn't get the same taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's disappointing and shows that the restaurant was not consistent.

      Delete
  12. I used to bring both my late parents to eat at Esquire Kitchen at Damansara Jaya every weekend. Their food quality was going downhill with prices going uphill but it was the most convenient restaurant for my frail parents to wriggle their way from the car to the restaurant's door. The manager and old cotton hair waitress would help usher my parents inside as we were regular faces too. Now I stopped going to any of their outlets as it brings me sad reminders of the good days with my parents.

    Anyway, I was surprised to see the same cotton hair waitress serving at the Teochew Restaurant at Starling alongside 2-3 familiar faces. I think they have same bosses!! Aha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know the cotton hair waitress you are referring to. I've seen her at Teochew Lor many times!

      Delete
  13. It's surprised me as 4 simple dishes like that costed RM120+ and the presentation not really appetizing, I would say >_<

    ReplyDelete