Monday 17 June 2019

Kueh Bakar Terbakar : My Burnt (And Tasteless) Bingka Labu


A few weeks ago, I was gifted with half a big ass pumpkin. As you all know, big isn't always better. I have eaten big tasteless cucumber and big tasteless tomatoes. 

I did not have anything in mind at the time on what to do with the pumpkin. So I roasted it, with a view of freezing the pumpkin puree. After digging out the roasted flesh, I tasted it and yes, this big pumpkin was tasteless.


It would have been such a waste to throw it away since I had already invested some time to roast it. So I portioned the roasted pumpkin into containers and stashed them into the freezer.

During Hari Raya, I took the frozen pumpkin out of the freezer to thaw overnight in the fridge. One batch became Pumpkin Gula Melaka Cheesecake (which I will post later) while the balance was an opportunity for me to try out Bingka Labu Lemak Manis

The problem was, my labu was not manis let alone lemak. But that's all right, because since this was experimental, even if it bombed, I would not have wasted the pumpkin (since it was lousy anyway).


It was not a difficult recipe as all I needed to do was mix everything up by hand. Then pour the whole lot into a preheated cake tin and bake.


See that? I wanted a browned top and left it on grill mode for too long. But it could still be salvaged.


When the kueh was completely cooled, I removed it from the pan and sliced the kueh. The inside was perfectly cooked and the texture was pleasantly firm yet soft to the bite. 

However, tastewise it was a let down (as expected) since the pumpkin was blah. Another thing was that the recipe used inadequate santan, which I will tweak in a next attempt.


So, no recipe for now until I perfect this. Moral of the story, choose smaller pumpkins.

22 comments:

  1. Bet you could master it better the next trial. I like bingka labu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried once too, not that successful so I never bothered trying again. Easy to buy at the Malay kueh stalls here, 3 for RM1.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no stalls near me that sell this kueh. I'll give it another try.

      Delete
  3. Your bingka labu looks very nice wor. I think still can eat with kaya gua. So what happened to them? Sent to TM?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went into my compost bin hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. On looks alone, your bingka labu looks like a great success! ;) On the taste of it, we'll just blame the person who gifted you the tasteless big ass pumpkin...wuahahahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I bought half a small pumpkin two weeks ago and the roasted flesh is in the freezer right now hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. Your bingka labu looks good though it is tasteless. Is bingka labu a type of nyonya cake or kueh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a type of kueh. I love the pandan version.

      Delete
  6. Its a pity because your bingka labu looks very good. I have confident that you will come up with a better recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hee..hee... I will give it another go soon!

      Delete
  7. will be waiting for you recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the photo, your Bingka looked perfect!
    Any tips on how to choose a good, sweet pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any tips but I usually buy those smaller pre-cut ones from Aeon. So far those did not disappoint me.

      Delete
  9. Your bingka labu looks very sedap and perfect. Next time spread with fruit jams to enhance the taste la. Better still feed me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything with pumpkin, can't wait for the perfect recipe from you. Less sugar please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've generally been pretty happy with the quality of local pumpkin. I usually find it have more flavour than imported ones. Sorry yours wasn't so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the smaller ones I bought never let me down. This one was really huge! LOL!

      Delete