Tuesday 11 June 2019

Thai Boy Street Food@Damansara Uptown (CLOSED)


A few weeks ago, I was caught in the rain. I was trying to deliver some documents to an office nearby when it suddenly poured cats and dogs.

I was stuck at a shophouse near the famous Koon Kee wanton mee. With nothing else to do but wait, I just paced the sidewalk and took the opportunity to check Thai Boy Street Food's menu.

Photo taken on a sunny day.
It was around 2:00pm and the restaurant was quite full. Ah! They serve boat noodles! But alas only two types.


There were plenty of other food to try. Judging from the prices, these are small portions which is perfect for a lone diner like me. I can order more varieties of dishes to eat.


So I told myself, I should check this out.

I finally visited recently. Ordering is easy. It is done via an order chit. Just pass it to the server and your order list will be presented to your table.


I visited twice that day, for lunch and dinner. 

So. Lunch.


I had the Pandan Water (RM1.50) which is water infused with pandan leaves. It was very fragrant and refreshing.  Best of all, it was unsweetened. 


Four dishes for me.


The Stew(ed) Pork with Rice (RM4.90) did not make an impression. Although portion size is quite generous, the pork meat was on the dry side and there was not much flavor.


The Pork Satay (RM3.50) was quite tasty, savory and sweetish. 


I found the Mango Salad (RM4.90) disappointing because the dish was too pungent. Maybe it was the fish sauce used or some other ingredient. This is the first time that I did not enjoy a mango kerabu.


The Pad Thai (RM4.90) was not bad. It had a wok hei aroma and tasted quite good.


My only complaint would be that it was all clumpy.

Then I returned for dinner.


Again, four dishes.


Pineapple Fried Rice (RM3.90). I wanted to compare this with the one I had at Mr Tuk Tuk (though that was some time ago). 


This one is pretty good. I like it.


The Garlic Pork (RM4.90) was pretty good. Deep fried morsels of pork fillet.


I helped myself to the chili sauce which was very garlicky and yummy. A no no if you are on a date hee...hee....


So yummeh!


The Thai Stye Fried Chicken (RM3.90) are two chicken wings which although well seasoned and tasty, were a tad dry.


Thankfully, the Papaya Salad (RM4.90) was good and not pungent like the mango salad.


I had the Lemongrass Water (RM1.50) which was very refreshing and like the pandan water, no sugar was added.


If you need to sweeten your drink, there is sugar at the table (though not all the tables have this).


So why did I come here twice on the same day? Because I like the food? Yes, partly (though there were hits and misses). Well, it was mainly because of Favepay cashback challenge.


Fave does this quite often to encourage users to transact using the app. Last week I got RM10.00 cashback and now I have another RM10.00.

Well, I'm glad I found this Thai food outlet.

And it looks like there is a new eatery opening soon next door.


Good luck to them!

27 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good outing here. You gone twice. Wow. Glad you tried it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice place to eat reasonably good Thai food at affordable price.

      Delete
  2. You have convinced me to bookmark this place.
    The papaya salad is supposed to be Thai Somtam. No?
    I will order and eat what you enjoyed only. Khob Khun Mak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that was somtam. It was very good. Go lah, I want to have your opinion since you are a Thai LOL!

      Delete
  3. I like portion (of course the prices too!) like that, so I can try more varieties in one go. I'm very greedy when comes to food ordering, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you will like this place. So far I get 4 bowls heh..heh...

      Delete
  4. Initially I thought you visited when caught in the rain - that really would be taking advantage of a situation. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love small plates of food too...can eat more different stuff in one sitting! ;) I think the condiment of sugar is meant to season your food and not your drink...kekeke (but then again, why not)! That's because Thai food is known to combine all flavours of salty, spicy, sour & sweet. I'm surprised you didn't end with a dessert...hee..hee! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was not much choice for dessert and I read a few bad reviews on the mango sticky rice. Maybe next time I'll try the ice cream hee..hee...

      Delete
  6. looks good...im ok with Thai food except those super dry chicken wing and pork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food is reasonably good. I am quite happy to eat there.

      Delete
  7. What? You did not seem to like it and yet you went back for dinner. Gee!!! I like the caricature of Thai Boy, same shape and size as me. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the items were good, so I decided to try more and I did find many that I liked.

      Delete
  8. Cashback is always good.
    😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good that you can enjoy the cashback, the portions look huge,i also thought you visited when you were caught in the rain but you visited on another day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The portion size is satisfying and 4 bowls is just nice for me hee..hee...

      Delete
  10. I like what your ordered for dinner. I think I better learn how to use FAVE, since can enjoy good cash back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to learn how to use these apps or else we will be left behind by the young people. LOL!

      Delete
  11. Good deal from favpay. I would go back too to use the promo if the food is nice. The portion is perfect for me but may be too flavourful for me. Don't think I know which part of uptown this is. let me find on map. maybe one day I will visit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is along same row as Cafe 300 a bit further down towards the direction of the police station.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the direction. Now I know where it is.

      Delete
  12. Did their signage remind u of me? Haha. They have an outlet near us too, and we like their Thai green curry and grilled pork.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooo, a hybrid of pad thai and boat noodles in one petite portion - that's a pretty cool concoction. also an economical way to satisfy a pad thai craving for RM4.90 since most 'proper' pad thais cost more than RM10 :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very affordable Thai food alternative to the other one at the mall because it is cheaper and accepts e-wallets!

      Delete