Wednesday 12 June 2019

Sedapnya Lempeng Pisang Ku! : Banana Pancakes


These may not be the best looking pancakes but that's the best I can do. And please excuse the trumpet blowing because I seriously think my banana pancakes were good hee...hee....hee.....

Actually I didn't plan to make these pancakes. On Hari Raya day, I came downstairs and saw 3 pisang berangan on my dining table. These were left from the comb my partner picked up from Aeon.

Of course I could just eat the bananas as is. But then since I was free, why not attempt banana pancakes? That's what happens when I have time of my hands. Instead of resting and chilling out, I do stuff like this.



I looked for lempeng pisang (banana pancake) on the internet and saw loads of recipes. Some use milk/milk powder, creamed corn, santan, oats and there are big recipes (using one whole comb of bananas) and small recipes (using just 3 bananas). So many.

So I decided to just wing it based on the many recipes that I came across. I used bananas, flour, baking powder, sugar and egg. I also added some cinnamon powder because I like it.



I mashed the bananas then added egg, sugar, flour and baking powder and let the mixture stand for 15 minutes. Then I heated my non-stick pan, added some butter, and spooned the batter into the pan.



Yup, I wasn't consistent. I had big ones and small ones and the last of the lot was a big ass one. 

My batter is quite soft, so if you want a firmer texture, you need to add another one or two tablespoons of flour. Since it is soft, turning the pancake over in the pan was a bit of a challenge as I had to do it carefully.

But oh, it was so nice to eat. Slightly crusty outside (when warm) and soft inside.



Nyum...nyum...nyum.....



I couldn't stop eating. I think I got 11 pieces out of this recipe and saved 3 for later. Which meant that I nyum...nyum...nyum....8 pieces in one go. Oh dear.



Lempeng Pisang (Banana Pancake)
Recipe source : PH

Ingredients :
- 3 pisang berangan or any ripe banana (approximately 200g peeled weight)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup flour (add one or two tbsp more if you find the batter too soft)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (because my bananas were not sweet enough)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)

Method :
1. Mash the bananas.
2. Add egg and sugar and mix till combined.
3. Add flour, baking powder and cinnamon powder and mix until a batter is formed.
4. Leave batter to stand for about 15 minutes.
5. Heat a non-stick pan and add oil or butter.
6. Spoon batter into the pan and fry the pancakes until each side is browned.


28 comments:

  1. I never try lempeng before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen it sold anywhere. Maybe that's why you haven't had it hah..hah...

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! I can understand why you ate 8 at one go. so tasty that once started eating can't stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very nice. Soft, slightly sweet and full or banana taste.

      Delete
  3. Yumm ... so perfect for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought these are made of potatoes. anyhow unique new recipe for me. Thank you for sharing
    Sonia recent posted Sonia recent posted
    Kashmiri Food

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who says these pancakes do not look good, they look so tasty and tempting, my type of snack, yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as taste nice, OK liao, right? LOL!

      Delete
  6. I never made banana pancake. When I buy bananas, they finish quite fast. My kids and I love bananas. Hahaha. No change to keep them and make pancake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine how nice those must be. My girl also loves adding bananas to her pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow bananas are very nice in or with pancakes.

      Delete
  8. I have made banana pancakes before but it was such a long time ago. Maybe I can make pancakes again when I can't finish the bananas in future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are among some of the ugliest pancakes I've seen (the other would be my 2-ingredient banana pancake)...wuahahahaha...but if they're tasty, who cares! ;) These will be a cinch to make...but I'll make them minus the cinnamon (coz I don't have any) and sugar (coz I don't mind if they're not sweet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wahahaha!! Ugly but nice to eat :) Yours actually looked better than mine.

      Delete
  10. You nailed it PH! Suddenly I'm craving for lempeng pisang haha...you know, after eating a lot of rendang/ketupat etc, this simple food looks so appealing.

    You know what, at a first glance the pancakes look like akok-akok, the kelantan famous kuih. Don't you think so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Puan Hazel hee..hee... Yes, that's what I thought too. Looks like the Kelantan akok kedut.

      Delete
  11. a terrific teatime treat! i wouldn't dare to try making lempeng pisang cos i dunno which type of bananas to use for best results, with so many varieties of bananas out there! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also not familiar with the many varieties but I only know pisang berangan and I think it is the best hee..hee..

      Delete
  12. Yumsss!! I also did these pancakes twice in Aberdeen... the over riped bananas did not go to waste... one time I added self raising flour and another time, just plain flour with one egg and brown sugar..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some more bananas at home. There will be another round of banana pancakes. LOL!

      Delete
  13. Aiseyy!! Your banana pancake is so tasty and world class! I have made them before but it was just water, flour, eggs and bananas. I must add more ingredients like yours and blow my trumpet in my blog. Just wait lah.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have all the ingredients needed, so I might want to try this recipe out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite easy and I think your family will enjoy it.

      Delete