Thursday 13 June 2019

Mama Dessert, Damansara Uptown


While taking a walk (trying to burn off the nasi lemak from Mamalee) along the row of shops along The Ship, I discovered another Mama - Mama Dessert@Damansara Uptown.


This place serves simple food like economy fried noodles (with option of add ons), set meals and tong sui. The prices appear to be reasonable. You can check out their website here.


On my first visit I had the sweet and sour pork patty (RM8.90) and bubur cha cha (RM3.50).


The pork patty is pressed thinly and I won't say that it is outstanding. The two pieces of tau pok and half an egg had a herbal taste and they were cold. 


The bubur cha cha was quite scant with ingredients and not santan-ny enough.


Besides it was a tad too sweet for my taste. Total bill RM12.40.


I never judge a place just from one visit and I returned. This time for the herbal chicken rice set (RM9.80) and peach gum tong sui (RM3.50).


Just like the previous meal, it was served with rice, a few strands of pak choy, tau pok and half an egg. I removed the side plate and unveiled the herbal chicken leg.


It smelled wonderful. I had a taste of the gravy and yes, it was very good, though a tad salty.


The chicken was fall-off-the-bone tender and full of herbal aroma. I couldn't stop sipping on the herbal gravy. This meal was loads better than the other one.


The peach gum tong sui was a lot more generous with ingredients.


Best of all, it was barely sweet, just the way I like it. In the tong sui there were white fungus (I am not a fan of this), papaya (hey, it's nice!), red dates (I used to dislike this, but now I am ok), longan and some bits and pieces of chewy peach gum (first time I am having this).


This lunch cost me RM13.30. I might come back every now and then as there are a few more things I'd like to try.


26 comments:

  1. if you like peach gum, you can easily cook the peach gum tong sui yourself as you are a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not really into cooking tong sui hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. Glad your second trip was much improved! Good idea to give a new restaurant a second chance---I need to do that! Enjoy the rest of your week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been back a few tines since and I did enjoy some of the other items. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. It's so nice of you to give restaurants a second chance... for me, if the first meal is bad, i will probably never return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the first meal was very, very bad or the service was lousy, then, no chance hah..hah..

      Delete
  4. I love taking hetbal chicken. Muwt be good and moist.

    Luckily it was much better dining experience on your 2nd visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go back for the herbal chicken again.

      Delete
  5. I'm slowly finding out how similar our tastebuds are...there's yet another thing that we both dislike...white fungus! ;) That tong sui would be the last one I'd order if I have other choices. The discoloured orange sweet potato does not look inviting at all as it has already oxidised. If they call themselves a dessert shop, they should know how to treat the sweet potatoes from discolouring (which is by submerging them in water, after cutting if they're not used immediately, I was told).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner used to encourage me to eat white fungus - good for health he said. Nope, I don't like it hee..hee... They are not consistent. There were times when the bubur cha cha was good and at other times, not that good.

      Delete
  6. Been a long long time since I had anything from The Ship, think I did drop by once...those days before I was into blogging. Still going strong, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ship is still around. Very established while the newer ones have no staying power.

      Delete
  7. Good that you gave them a chance and your second visit was a more satisfying one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been back a few times and it was all right.

      Delete
  8. Waaah! This Mama Hong went to eat at Mama Lee and found this Mama Dessert! Honestly I never dined at any shops other than The Ship along that outer stretch of road. I felt their Feng Shui a bit odd as many restaurants have been closing like a pack of cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. That row and generally the outer ring of the shop houses has low energy flow. The most quiet is the one behind Public Bank. So dead.

      Delete
  9. Your second visit sure look a winner

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a fan of herbal chicken. Good for them that the 2nd meal was good or they will lose this customer! I have tasted peach gum and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the second meal better coz the herbal chicken leg is so meaty...yummmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good. I intend to eat again hee..hee...

      Delete
  12. I tapao-ed my late dinner here after I did my eyelash extension a few weeks back. I had mee siam + luncheon meatand also peach gum tong sui. The mee siam was decent and I would have hoped there will be more peach gum in my tong sui though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was very little peach gum, I would have liked more too.

      Delete