Wednesday 31 October 2018

I Love Sour Stuff : Jeruk Kedondong Asam Boi


One of my favorite snacks which I have not eaten in a long long time is pickled mangoes. Gosh, I love those! The best ones are made using a variety of mangoes which is know locally as "pauh".

This particular mango has a special fragrance and taste and it is wonderful when pickled. Most unfortunately, although I have the recipe for making pickled mango, I am unable to source for that variety of mango.


One day when I went to Jaya Grocer, I spotted some very nice Buah Kedondong (Ambarella). I love these in rojak buah. And oh, I also love kedondong juice.


I immediately took two packets and went to search for asam boi (preserved sour plum). You see where this is going?

When I got home, I got to work on the kedondong and I usually don't do stuff in the kitchen on weekday evenings. I washed and peeled the fruits and cut each into quarters.


Then I took the asam boi and using a knife, peeled the flesh. The asam boi was then mixed with the kedondong and I kept the asam boi marinated fruits in the fridge.


The next day, I stirred the whole lot to ensure even marination. On the third day, I gave it a taste. Wah, nice but a bit too salty. So I added some sugar. Some asam boi are salty and sweet while some are more on the salty side. So you have to adjust to taste.


The marinated kedondong tasted so much better with the added sugar. Sweet, sour, salty and crunchy with the unmistakable taste of kedondong. I love this!

I was greedy because besides the kedondong, I also bought two unripe mangoes and did the same thing to the sour mangoes.


hee...hee.... well, well, the mangoes were really good too. It looks like I have an ample stash of these sourish snacks to last me a few days.

22 comments:

  1. wow rumah kaknoor banyak ni kedondong di pokok tapi masih kecik, tapi best jugak kecik takde serabut nya tu kan PH boleh makan semua nya hehe, mudahan ada kerajinan nak buat lah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betul tu, Kak Noor. Kalau yang tua susah nak makan sebab kat tengah tu ada serabut keras. Buat rojak buah pun best.

      Delete
  2. As much as I like sour pickled fruits and sour juices, I also try to refrain from eating/drinking too much as I'm afraid (and know) that they have added sugar in them. How else can you make them less sour, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly. Those pickled mangoes that I love, they are soaked in sugar syrup.

      Delete
  3. hahaha i have a small kedongdong tree. Must make this the next time it fruit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah got kedondong tree means must make this and rojak buah lah!

      Delete
  4. The kedondong you got were very young one, the seed of "old" fruit is spiky >_<
    I've tried pickled pumpkin with similar method :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to get the young ones (but some of them got the spiky thing) because usually the ones from supermarket are old and all have spiky center >.<

      Delete
  5. I do the same with those golden pears and they turn out to be very very nice! One may get thirsty from the salty asamboi though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole tray of green fruits were so cheap! You could have bought a dozen trays and make many bottles of pickled fruits to share with us. Alas, I am dreaming again... Do you know the secrets of losing weight is to eat plenty of that kedondong which is also rich with nutrients and vitamins? I love your fruit peeler which looks like a Euro design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ah? Then I must eat more kedondong hee..hee...

      Delete
  7. You are like the squirrel, but instead of storing up nuts for the winter, you made lots of jeruk and store them up for your enjoyment later. I just like to eat sour kedondong and mango just as they are because I am scared of the sugar used to jeruk them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, the sugar is bad. I normally eat half ripe mango just by itself.

      Delete
  8. Wah! My mouth salivating looking at your pickled kedondong and mangoes. I love kedondong in rojak and pickled too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful in rojak. Perhaps that's the next thing to make. LOL!

      Delete
  9. Now I am craving for sour snacks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I am salivating now... yesterday Nancy put up the pickled mangoes and I was drooling too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Asam asam ni faveret my hubby LL. Kalau I, kurang suka masam ni.... Terpejam pejam mata wei makan sambil menahan masam hihi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uiks! Biasanya lelaki tak suka masam2 macam ni, kan Hainom? You alls ni macam terbalik pulak hah..hah...

      Delete