Monday 22 October 2018

Penne Goreng Pedas


I have lots of pasta in my pantry and I have been cooking them local style. They are quite versatile and as I understand it, the noodles used in Laksa Johor is spaghetti.

I have cooked Fried Macaroni and this time I wanted to use penne. I have been cooking fried penne and freezing it for my partner so that he can have more variety in his meals. I also did the same for my mum when dad was recuperating at my brother's house.


I cooked a batch for freezing one weekend and I realized that I did not have anymore penne. So I added it to my shopping list. Alas, there was no penne on the shelves. Aeon 1-Utama in still undergoing renovation and the stocks have not been replenished.

Then I saw this.


Gluten free pasta, made with brown rice. I have been curious about gluten free food and since I wanted penne, the gluten free version would have to do. 


This box of organic gluten free pasta is very expensive clocking in at RM14.95. Never mind, just try once. I suppose there is nothing mysterious about noodles made with rice since our meehoon and kuay teow are also made with rice.


Since I cooked this fried penne for myself, I added lots of chilli paste. The other ingredients are onions, garlic, carrot, celery and minced meat. For seasoning it was light soya sauce, thick soya sauce and tomato ketchup. 


I must say that this hot and spicy penne was pretty good. So how was the gluten free pasta? It tasted pretty much like regular pasta to me. If I did not know any better, I would not have been able to tell the difference.

Hot and Spicy Fried Penne 
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 2 cups penne pasta, cooked according to packet instructions
- 100g minced meat
- 1 rib celery, cut into small cubes
- 1 small carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 big onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili paste

Seasoning (add together) :
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp thick soya sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup

Method :
1. Heat oil in wok and saute garlic and onions until onions are soft.
2. Add chili paste and continue to fry for a minute or two.
3. Add celery and carrots and fry until slightly soft.
4. Add minced meat and fry until meat changed color and add some water to simmer until meat is cooked.
5. Add seasoning and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add the cooked penne and stir to mix.

28 comments:

  1. Love your recipe but I seldom take penne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can use the recipe for other types of noodles.

      Delete
  2. ooo, that's a fun malaysian twist to penne - there are restaurants that offer rendang pastas, curry pastas, and of course, nasi lemak pasta, but i haven't seen a goreng pedas pasta before today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, our localized creations with pasta can be quite amazing!

      Delete
  3. Oh? San Remo has gluten-free pasta too? Gotta look out for this. We always bought this brand, those days when we were eating the regular ones. I had fried macaroni that day but of course, my girl could not eat that - they do not use gluten-free pasta, that's for sure - so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I tried it. Just as good as regular pasta.

      Delete
  4. Wah! That sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seldom eat penne, didn't know that pasta could be cooked in this type of local malaysian way before today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste good cooked the local way :)

      Delete
  6. I like to eat all shapes of pasta so I am sure I will like this dish if it is not very spicy. You sure pandai create your own tasty fusion dishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fusion penne, dear! Looks so yummy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... I can see this pasta must be very spicy hot, oooohh.. very appetizing and "thrilling"... LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This a yummy pasta dish that can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 meals. I must start eating healthy gluten free food now as I have matured & developed many allergies suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gluten free food is so pricey! But it's a necessity of you cannot tolerate gluten.

      Delete
  10. I'm rather surprised it tasted like regular pasta...since it's egg free. By right, noodles made without egg (a vital ingredient) shouldn't taste similar...good that it does :) But since it's expensive and tastes like regular pasta, might as well stick to a cheaper version...kekeke! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if I did a taste test with the plain pasta, I might detect some difference. I would definitely stick to regular hah..hah...

      Delete
  11. U makes me feel like having pasta now, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... pasta is so nice to eat...

      Delete
  12. Gluten free and normal pasta, just like organic and normal vegetables, the different that we can see is the price >_<

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sihat pun sihat ye LL.....
    Since rasa pun tak de beza, bolehlah tukar dengan penne beras perang ni yeh LL.... Tapi tulah kadang kadang ada hari hari tu datang jugak sawan kedekut hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... mahal betul yang gluten free tu. Tak moh lah, kalau ada yang murah, itu yang kita pilih kan, Hainom. Bukan kedekut...

      Delete
  14. Looks so delicious! Love spicy noodle.

    ReplyDelete