I have lots of pasta in my pantry and I have been cooking them local style. They are quite versatile and as I understand it, the noodles used in Laksa Johor is spaghetti.
I have cooked Fried Macaroni and this time I wanted to use penne. I have been cooking fried penne and freezing it for my partner so that he can have more variety in his meals. I also did the same for my mum when dad was recuperating at my brother's house.
I cooked a batch for freezing one weekend and I realized that I did not have anymore penne. So I added it to my shopping list. Alas, there was no penne on the shelves. Aeon 1-Utama in still undergoing renovation and the stocks have not been replenished.
Then I saw this.
Gluten free pasta, made with brown rice. I have been curious about gluten free food and since I wanted penne, the gluten free version would have to do.
This box of organic gluten free pasta is very expensive clocking in at RM14.95. Never mind, just try once. I suppose there is nothing mysterious about noodles made with rice since our meehoon and kuay teow are also made with rice.
Since I cooked this fried penne for myself, I added lots of chilli paste. The other ingredients are onions, garlic, carrot, celery and minced meat. For seasoning it was light soya sauce, thick soya sauce and tomato ketchup.
I must say that this hot and spicy penne was pretty good. So how was the gluten free pasta? It tasted pretty much like regular pasta to me. If I did not know any better, I would not have been able to tell the difference.
Hot and Spicy Fried Penne
Recipe source : Phong Hong
- 2 cups penne pasta, cooked according to packet instructions
- 100g minced meat
- 1 rib celery, cut into small cubes
- 1 small carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 big onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili paste
Seasoning (add together) :
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp thick soya sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1. Heat oil in wok and saute garlic and onions until onions are soft.
2. Add chili paste and continue to fry for a minute or two.
3. Add celery and carrots and fry until slightly soft.
4. Add minced meat and fry until meat changed color and add some water to simmer until meat is cooked.
5. Add seasoning and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add the cooked penne and stir to mix.