Thursday 4 October 2018

What Else Is Good@Champ's?


As you would probably notice, Champ's (CLOSED) is my favorite at A Foodie's Nest@The Starling. The moment I reach the foodcourt, that's where I would be headed.

One day I decided to try the rice with char siew and siew yoke (RM17.50). In fact even before I ate here, I packed this for my mum during my dad's hospital stay. 


I remember mum giving it good reviews and she commented that there was a lot of meat in the box.


The soup that came with it (I declined the soup when packing for mum because it's not a practical item to eat at the hospital) was very good. It had very robust prawn flavors.


I'm afraid I did not like the char siew. For one, I got a very lean cut and two, it did not have that typical smoky char siew taste. It's like the sauce is a completely different kind of sauce.


The siew yoke was better but was rather fatty. I know I like the fatty parts but when it is too fatty, then you get that cloying feeling. 

I remember some of my readers mentioning Champ's prawn mee which they say is good. On my earlier visits I did not notice prawn mee on the menu. But guess what?


The board showing Prawn Noodle (RM21.90) was put up recently. So I had to try it.


Looks good. Lots of fried shallots on top. The first thing I did was taste the broth. Oh! Very nice! Full of prawn flavors.


Digging in, I found lean pork slices, pork ribs, prawns and some kangkung. This is a fully loaded prawn mee. 


And yikes, they also put chee yau char in the prawn noodles like here but somehow I did not mind. 


See how good that was? I'll be back........

18 comments:

  1. I like your lean char siew which is perfect for me. aha, so the prawn mee here is way, way, way better than the king shop? your bowl is so clean so it means you ate all the chee yau char? hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me it is better than the king shop hee..hee... I ate everything!

      Delete
  2. The first thing I notice when I saw the pic...1) siew yoke seems too fatty, 2) char siew is too lean and 3) very expensive (this would have cost only half if bought at a roasted meat stall...and then you agreed with 1 and 2...hihihi! ;) I've heard about their prawn mee long ago (but have never tried) as they have their own bistro in Bangsar (they used to have more than one outlet but some closed, I think). Most complaints were about their prices. I'd like to try but I think it's too much to pay for a bowl of prawn noodles. Btw, the prawns don't look like the big ones in their promo board! O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also agree with 3 but didn't say it hee...hee.... I'll have to say the prices at Champ's are premium prices >.<

      Delete
  3. Yes, I've seen better-looking char siew elsewhere. Do they fry their own shallots? I do not like the supermarket ones, sold in big bags - those have a smell that puts me off instantly. Very popular at the Malay stalls here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of these shops use ready fried ones for convenience.

      Delete
  4. Bingo! I was there last night and we had our dinner ordered from Champs. We had different pork noodles which was delicious.

    You finished the soup!!!! I must try this since you cleaned the bowl dry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with you on the overly fatty part of roasted pork belly. I usually ask them to give less fatty roast. Hahaha.

    Prawn noodle. It has been a while I didn't have that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had another round of fatty pork belly recently. Will write about it.

      Delete
  6. The bowl of prawn noodles is expensive! But if the food is good, it is worth it lah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very expensive, I agree and luckily it is very good.

      Delete
  7. Aah! You finally tried the famous Champs Penang Prawn Mee... looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a bowl of prawn mee that priced at RM21.90, it better be good, hehe :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good or else will curse and swear hah...hah...

      Delete