Tuesday 23 October 2018

Battle of the Lei Cha


After having my first taste of Lei Cha at Judy's@A Foodie's Nest, I wanted to have it again. I was feeling guilty after having indulged in too much chee yok fun hee...hee...

It's good to detox once in a while, right?


Especially if the detox food tastes good. I'll have to say that this lei cha is pretty awesome.


I guess the strength of a lei cha lies in its potent and pungent green soup. Not forgetting some element in the toppings that give the entire dish that unmistakable oomph!


Here, I thinks it's the roasted peanuts (and something else) that makes it pop.

Then one Friday I had a dinner date with my brother. Yup, he gave me a ride to work and we always take that opportunity to have dinner together.

Our dinners as you know are always epic, so I wanted a light lunch. Lei cha was perfect but this time I thought I try the one at BMS Organics.


Oh! What a pretty presentation. I count 8 condiments served in those cute serving bowls.


Finely sliced long beans, cashew nuts, some kind of fungus, pickled daikon.....


....thinly sliced cabbage, diced carrots, Japanese cucumber and purple cabbage.


The green soup is served in this very pretty teapot.


I put all the condiments into my bowl and banjir my bowl.


It was very nice, I did not dislike this at all. Although the BMS Organics' presentation is gorgeous, in terms of taste, I find Judy's far superior. 

If a lei cha craving hits me again, I will go back to Judy's.

22 comments:

  1. Lovely presentation. So true that Hakka lei cha consists of many ingredients. Good to detox after all those meaty meals.

    An aunt (mum's sister) used to cook lei cha for us when I was younger and she would invite us to her house whenever she cooked it. My dad loved her lei cha very much. My mum seldom cook it at home. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people cannot accept that "green soup" but I like it and I always blessed to have original Lei Cha prepared by my Hakka Hor Poh relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You tried BMS Organics lei cha finally. Too bad that the lei cha taste is too "clean" for you, lolx! OK, now I gotta get some friends to share the Judy's lei cha with me because I would not be able to finish the big portion and keeping it for dinner will affect its taste I think so better to find people to share with me and tried this Judy's Lei Cha to see whether we can detect what extra seasoning is put in for it to be more flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you go try Judy's lei cha with your friends. I like it a lot. Maybe too flavorful for you hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. It's good only if it is bitter. Otherwise, it's solely for enjoyment. Not something I would be going for, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had just a slight hint of bitter. I can't believe I like it.

      Delete
  5. Now that you tried it, you fell in love with it, good for you, never try never know, not for me though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. very impressive and neatly presented! It makes the whole set so appetizing, I would love to try this when I come by next time..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The presentation sure looks good and appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So elegant but the messy one tastes better LOL!

      Delete
  8. i love lei cha too - though i'm actually the only one in my family who does! i like its depth of flavours in each spoonful and variety of textures throughout the bowl :D have not tried judy's but it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Malam tadi I baru balik dari MV. Tulah tu, asal lalu depan BMS je I mesti teringat U tau hahhaha... Kebetulan masa lalu depan Resto BMS ni I ternampak menu tu. Bila datang sini pulak U buat entri pasal menu tu...

    Kalau I makan Lei Cha ni mcm tak kenyang je LL hahhaa.....Tak de protien binatangg ahhhhh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... betul tu, Hainom. Takde protein, cepat lapar. LL pun gitu.

      Delete
  10. If you're ever in the Taman Megah area, you should try Restoran Gembira's lei cha (its a hawker food place and the lei cha stall is right at the back)! Simple Life's Lei Cha is also pretty decent. BMS Lei Cha is my least favourite lei cha so far because it tastes very "raw". But on the whole, I'm a huge lei cha fan!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ee Fen! Thanks for the tips. Yes, I have passed by Restoran Gembira before. Next time I will go try the lei cha and also Simple Life's. Ah, so you are also not in favor of BMS's lei cha :)

      Delete
  11. I love Lei Cha. This morning I had Lei Cha Pan Mee for the first time. It doesn't have all the nice condiments. Just the soup with the usual toppings for pan mee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they also have pan mee version! The one at BMS can choose to have vermicelli but I prefer with rice.

      Delete