Sunday 5 February 2023

Beard Brothers BBQ (Via Delivery)

I love BBQ and so far I have been to two BBQ restaurants - Texas BBQ@Solaris Dutamas and Burnin Pit@Desa Sri Hartamas.

I was hankering for some BBQ and I made the decision to make an advance order for delivery today. It may seem counter intuitive that I made the order with Beard Brothers BBQ because my brother and I did not have a positive experience when my brother tapau from the restaurant back in 2018.

But I took a leap of faith and placed the advance order on Friday. Initially I wanted delivery on Friday but when I attempted to place the order on Thursday, the delivery slot was at 6:30pm.

So I tried my luck on Friday for delivery on Sunday and the earliest delivery slot was between 12:30pm and 1:30pm which was perfect for me.

Photo Credit : Beard Brothers BBQ

I ordered the Brisket Pure (RM90.00) which consists of 200g beef brisket, 200g burnt ends, 4 brotato buns, Keramat spicy BBQ sauce, Memphis Smoky BBQ and beef jus.

Yes, these BBQ meats do not come cheap. But I don't mind to splurge once in a while because let's face it, I am not capable of making smoked brisket at home. I would have to invest in a smoker which does not make sense. Same thing with BBQ equipment. So.


My order was delivered via Lalamove and arrived 1/2 hour earlier than scheduled which I don't mind at all. Better early than late, that's my motto.


The order was packed in a disposable aluminum this tray and placed in a cloth bag. 


Due to the carelessness of the rider, my order arrived quite messed up. Maybe I should not blame to rider since food packed in this manner does not travel well especially on a bike where the contents would move as the bike meanders along the highway.

Good thing that the sauces were well sealed and did not spill. The burnt ends were already tossed in BBQ sauce (as such the sauce was not from the containers).


I'll start with the good stuff first. The brisket was tender and moist however I did not detect the smoky aroma or flavor. It was of course well complimented by the BBQ sauces.


You get three sauces - Keramat Spicy, Memphis Spicy and the third, which is not really a sauce, beef jus. The BBQ sauces are too sweet for my taste. I mean BBQ sauce is meant to be sweet as it should be. My tastebuds may have become super sensitive and therefore the sweet taste is amplified.

Other than that, I'll have to say the BBQ sauces were really good, smoky with depth of flavor. The Keramat Spicy is thick while the Memphis Spicy is runny. Honestly I can't tell the difference between the two. As for the beef jus, it was very beefy, a bit strong for me. I think it was meant for dipping with the buns.


As for the burnt ends, because they were doused in BBQ sauce, I can't tell what they actually taste like. They were meaty and some pieces were fatty (which I do not mind) and I admit that it was a bit of an anti-climax for me. I love charred meat but I did not get what I expected (in terms of taste). But I am not saying that it was bad.


The brotato buns were not super fresh, they were not soft and fluffy. I tried just one and no, it did not make me want to eat more. 


Oh yes, one more item - the pickles. Not terribly exciting. There were two slices of cucumber, slivers of onion and two pieces of red chili. Not much taste, the pickling time (I think) was not adequate.


All in all (yes, I finished all the meat in one sitting) the BBQ was not a bad experience, could have been better and should I place a future order, I will order something without the burnt ends. I'd really like to try the smoked pulled lamb next.

12 comments:

  1. Too bad they do not deliver all the way here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that at least it is ok for you. Beef juice that is too strong!? Must be very beefy taste then. Looking at all the small containers of sauce and gravy, I don't dare to order this set because I will be the only one eating all of them. I think I can guess what happened to the 3 buns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not finish all the sauce, there was so much leftover and I had no choice but to throw them away with the remaining buns.

      Delete
  3. Brisket looked perfectly cooked, can see the pinkish and juicy part. Not fresh buns??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they had leftover buns from the day before and they didn't want to waste. Not a good thing to do as customers will not be happy.

      Delete
  4. I also can finish all that meat in one sitting...coz it doesn't look like much...hehe. Beef jus that's too beefy and BBQ sauces that are too sweet don't sound like the type of sauces I'd enjoy...and then buns that are not fresh, fluffy or soft, I think this place is not for me. P/S: For the prices charged, I'd think they can do better packaging than that...and not allow meat with sauce (the burnt ends) to mix and roll around with the plastic container of sauces! >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I thought you don't like too much meat. There was 200g of brisket and 200g of burnt ends, Very filing. I agree that the packaging should be improved. I feel that they should pack the meat in separate boxes or get those bento type boxes.

      Delete
    2. Oops, I thought it didn't look like much but if it's 400g....then no-lah...too much meat! >.< 200g is probably all I can handle.

      Delete
    3. Hee..hee...in the photo it does look very little.

      Delete
  5. RM90 for a meal for one person definitely not cheap, hehe :P For that price I would have hoped for better packaging - at least separate container for the burnt end, since it's saucy. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not cheap. Once in a blue moon can spend like this on food.

      Delete