Wednesday 22 February 2023

Mixed grill. Mixed Feelings.

I was hankering for a plate of mixed grill. Why, ah?

Last week, my dad was admitted to Subang Jaya Medical Center (second admission) for a medical procedure. The first admission was to assess his situation and ease the problem he was having.

On the evening of the procedure, my mum and my brother were at the hospital. While waiting for dad to come out of surgery, mother and son went for dinner at Restoran Windmill, our go to restaurant when visiting the hospital.

My brother sent me this photo.


Wah! That looked so good! So I told myself that when I go visit my dad, I can ajak my mum for lunch at Windmill.

The day following dad's surgery as I was preparing to book Grabcar, I noticed a missed call from my mum. Apparently dad was being discharged that day. So fast, eh? These days the hospital discharges patients very quickly (once they are deemed fit to leave of course) to make way for other patients. Hospital very laku because there are many sick people around.

So the visit was aborted and so was my lunch plan. Anyway, I visited my parents the following day at my brother's house and I was very pleased and relieved that dad was recovering very well and was of good cheer. My mum was also in positive mood and all is well although dad will have to undergo this procedure once every year.

Since I mengidam for mixed grill, today I decided to satisfy that craving. The only place to go to at Damansara Uptown is this old relic.


Oh yes, The Ship is still going strong after all these years.


It hasn't changed much since the last time I was there.


The special that day was this Australian Angus Pan Grilled Sirloin. But it comes with Cream of Mushroom Soup (I don't like) and Ice Cream Delight (I don't want dessert). Besides, I was there for the Mixed Grill.



They don't serve water on the house anymore so I opted for mineral water (just in case I tercekik).


And of course they brought me the usual Malaysian staple of chili sauce and tomato ketchup.


I was also served with a warm bun and butter.


There you go, I was all set.


I looked around me and only one other table was occupied.


Most customers come in the evening.

After a while, my Mixed Grill was served.


Let me break it down for you.


Nice meaty meal for carnivorous me. But in all honesty, the best thing on my plate was the fried egg and chicken. The beef and lamb were overcooked and tough/dry.

Oh yes, I ate the tomato, cauliflower and beans. I ate only one piece of carrot because it was undercooked. As for the fries, I ate only a few and did not enjoy it.


Strangely, the chili sauce that I used to love so much had a chemical taste. Blame it on my tastebud which has since evolved.


As for the bun, I pinched off a bit to eat and though it was fresh, I did not like the taste. So I left it. But I took the butter (dumped it on the beef).


So there you have it. Mixed Grill craving not quite satisfied.

17 comments:

  1. What your mum and bro had at the Windmill for lunch looked good and delicious. I used to enjoy mixed grill but after I had digestion problem, meat turns me off. I hope this is only temporary and once recovered, I hope I will get to enjoy what I used to enjoy. Good to know that your dad is doing well now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope my dad will continue to stay well. I also hope that your tummy troubles will be over soon and you can enjoy your food again.

      Delete
  2. The Ship has been around since like forever. That's very old school, bottles of chili sauce and tomato ketchup. Place looks classic, food looks great - too bad he found it a bit disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old institution and still standing strong even though standards have dropped quite a bit.

      Delete
  3. Good to know that your father is recovering well. Will your parents be staying permanently with your brother now? Or they will go back to hometown when your father has recovered from the surgery fully?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They will have to go back to sort things out before moving here permanently.

      Delete
    2. Ah, good to hear that the long term plan is they are moving to be with you all. Better to have children to care for them close by.

      Delete
  4. Ah, since you are not satisfied, maybe you and your brother can go to the windmill for their mixed grill. I think I have only been to the ship once or twice only in my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the trip to Windmill will have to coincide with visit to the hospital and we don't look forward to that. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Aiya, just go eat at the windmill la. Choi Choi Choi, windmill will be so puzzled and Wonder why need to go hospital only then can go eat there.

      Delete
  5. Only one other table occupied does not bode well for them. I remember the (good) times when it would be difficult to secure a seat for their set lunch. The Ship is in dire need of a fresh update of their premises as well as their menu/food. The (Malaysian-ised) mixed grill platter you had is so old-school (same 'old' bread too)...and they looked like they were thrown haphazardly on the plate (didn't even bother to arrange it nicely...which you did, lol). You didn't like the fries coz they look like the frozen type...crinkle fries that we can get from the frozen supermarket section (they tend to taste flour-y/powdery on the inside!). I think Victoria Station is still better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P/S: Glad to know everything went well with your dad's surgery. I'm sure he'll have a speedy recovery with your mom taking care of him.

      Delete
    2. You are right, they need not just a fresh update on decor/menu but also look into the quality of the food served and competence of the chef. It's been a while since I visited Victoria Station.

      Thanks, I am happy and very relieved that my dad is recovering well.

      Delete
  6. I used to enjoy mixed grill but I need to share. Sharing is more fun this way. Lol. Now I am craving for a good plate of mixed grill.

    Glad your dad is recovering from the surgery. He needs more rest and care at home than in hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite meaty and could be too much for some but I can sapu all LOL!

      Thanks, my dad is recovering well at home.

      Delete
  7. Too bad your mixed grill craving wasn't satiated, but it's a good excuse to go for another mixed grill meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I need to find where to go.

      Delete