Tuesday 29 December 2020

From Coleslaw to Fritters

Isn't it annoying when you have leftover vegetables? A little bit of this and a little bit of that. Usually these will wilt or go bad in my fridge and off to the compost bin they go. What a waste.

Last weekend, I had this.


Lass than half a packet of coleslaw mix. About 3 1/4 cups (250ml measuring cup) worth.


A small bag of frozen corn (1 cup) that has been in the freezer since I can't remember when.

Into the mixing bowl they went together with some chives from the garden and some sliced onions, salt and pepper. I start off with a cup (250ml measuring cup) of flour, 1/4 cup rice flower and one teaspoon baking powder.

Then I mix it dry like that.


I know. You don't do like this but this is my agak-agak method and it works for me.

Then I add an egg and 1 cup (250ml) water and mix it all up. It looked diluted, so I added one more cup of flour and 125ml of water (bit by bit).


The consistency seemed just right, not too thick and not too runny. Leave to stand for 10 minutes for the vegetables to release more water. If need be, add a little more flour later.


After 10 minutes, stir again and I tilt the bowl to check for consistency. If the batter flows without appearing too thick or too thin, it is good to go.


Drop spoonfuls (mine were big spoonfuls) into hot oil and fry for about 4 minutes on each side till golden brown. Drain on  a rack lined with paper towels.


Each time before you drop a fresh batch into the pan, give the batter a good stir first.

Time to sample for quality control heh...heh... 


Chili sos mari.


Nyum! So crispy! So tasty!

Then when I was saucing the second sample, I had a small accident.


The bottle cap of the squeeze bottle just dropped off suddenly. Don't know how that happened. Haiz!

That distracted me and my next batch of fritters were burnt.


I did not throw them away. I like the extra brown ones because I like the taste. My partner will tell me that those are heaty and can cause sore throat. Nope, that did not happen to me.


These fritters are very crispy and crunchy when they are warm. I find them very addictive. 


I just kept eating and eating. Any extras can be kept in the freezer and reheated by refrying them or reheating them in the oven (or air fryer!).


Vegetable Fritters
Recipe source : PH

Ingredients
- 3 1/4 cups sliced cabbage (or a combination of any vegetables like carrots, spring onions, beansprouts, corn, grated zucchini etc)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup sliced chives
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups regular flour (or more if required)
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups water (more or less, always add water bit by bit)
- 1 egg

Method :
1. Put all vegetables into a large mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, add flour, rice flour and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
3. Then pour the flour into the vegetables and mix to coat the vegetables.
4. Add egg and mix.
5. Then add water, a little at a time and mix to form a batter. The batter must not be too thick or too thin. 
6. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add some chicken stock powder if you like.
7. Let stand for 10 minutes.
8. After 10 minutes, stir the batter. If it is too thin (due to vegetable releasing water), then add a little more flour until you get the right consistency. To test, tilt the bowl and the batter should be able to flow.
9. Heat oil in a pan for shallow frying (or more for deep frying if you prefer).
10. Before frying the fritters, stir the batter first before dropping spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil.
11. Fry for about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
12. Drain on a rack lined with paper towels.
13. Serve while still warm.

18 comments:

  1. Very tasty! Better than the ones I bought from the roadside stall which are very oily. I thought you use air fryer to make these vege fritters, then I realized, not possible since the batter is so watery. Is it possible to make these fritters using air fryers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannot cook anything with wet batter in an air fryer, so can only reheat the fritters.

      Delete
  2. wah...my fav! looks like cucur udang....but without the 'udang'. Those burnt ones....not bitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the very black parts are bitter, overall a nice smoky taste.

      Delete
  3. Can make cucur with coleslaw? Interesting. Aiyor! Kesian...the burnt ones! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err...the coleslaw cabbage without the dressing LOL!

      Delete
  4. I love vegetables and corn fritters. I miss my ex-colleague's homemade fritters. Now I am craving for fritters. Yes, very addictive, I can eat the whole plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can eat a lot of these. Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you added 1 1/2 cups of water (!) to your batter...so brave lah you. I can only imagine the sputtering & splattering during the frying process. >_< I would gladly eat your fritters but I won't be making any...hah..hah! P/S: By the way, what size is your cast iron pan? I'm thinking of getting one since I found out recently that it can actually be used on induction. Is it very heavy? I even find my new 28cm Shogun pan heavy to lift with one hand...lol! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not certain of the sizen, so I took my 9" baking pan and sat it in the cast iron pan. It fitted perfectly, so I can tell you it is 9"(23 cm). Yes, it is very heavy. I have to lift it using both hands hah..hah... It is worth getting one because you will be able to cook steak at home.

      Delete
  7. What yummy fritters! You are very innovative.. I would easily take 5 of these and then drink a soluble Vit C to cool down... hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner will agree with you that they are very heaty!

      Delete
  8. That is one way to dispose food and clearing fridge. Good idea, PH. I would enjoy the fritters myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great afternoon tea sack to go with coffee or tea or my case, pair with cold beer since I'm not fan of both beverage, hehe. I don't have rice flour in my pantry, I think it's okay to skip it, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, not compulsory to use rice flour.

      Delete