Monday 7 December 2020

Taiwan Braised Pork Rice & Dessert, Damansara Uptown


Last Saturday I worked. I had already planned on having lunch at the newly opened Restoran Taiwan Braised Pork Rice & Dessert simply because I wanted to try the desserts.


As far as Taiwanese food goes, I am not that enthusiastic after trying this, this and this. But who knows, I might find a good one that would change my mind. 

Before venturing out to the restaurant I checked the menu from their Facebook page so that I have an idea what to expect. Let me share it here.

These are the porkie rice meals. I noted that there is chicken too.


They also serve noodles.


And then there are snacks.


And more snacks.


And of course beverages.


And what I was looking forwards to - desserts.


Ordering is via order chits. I placed an order for the Taiwan Braised Pork Rice and the Aiyu Jelly Taro BallsThe service staff are polite and helpful and I was asked if I preferred the dessert served with or after the meal, which is very thoughtful. 


This is quite a generous bowl of food and the server asked me if I would like some cili padi. Oh, yes, please!


In the braised pork there is an egg (thankfully one whole egg and not half like at some places) and a piece of tofu. There is also a small serving of (delicious) salted vegetables to complement the meal. 


You know what? I thought it was pretty good. The seasonings were just right (flavorful and not too salty) and I found this braised pork dish very much to my liking. It is something that I'd like to eat again.

Once I was done with my meal, dessert was served without me having to prompt the servers.


Ooohh...this Aiyu Jelly Taro Balls is so pretty! I had one concern though and I braced myself because I expected the  dessert to be sickeningly sweet (nope, I was wrong).


I was delighted that it was barely sweet, the sweetness level was just right. I kept digging into the shaved ice, thinking there might be a pool of (booby trap) sugary sweetness buried in there but thankfully there were none. Thumbs up for this lower sugar dessert, I super like!


You see, I had a similar dessert at Aftermeal Damansara Uptown during Chinese New Year (no photos because I was with polite company) and the dessert (shared among a few people) was so extremely sweet that I had only one mouthful. That made me very fearful of such desserts.

Well, it looks like I had a delightful meal and dessert and without a doubt, I am coming back for more. 

22 comments:

  1. There's a new place opening soon here - Rice King. All Taiwan dishes. I had the layer pork (and salted veg) and rice before, very nice. Looking forward to trying the one here, hopefully I shall not be disappointed. Yours look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there again yesterday and tried their salted chicken. It was surprisingly good!

      Delete
  2. This Taiwan braised pork dish looks very similar to our local braised pork (which also have hard-boiled eggs & tofu) if it was served in a bowl (instead of on a plate). Wah, this sounds like a dessert I can eat (I'm also surprised it was barely sweet especially when there are 'balls' involved..haha! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taste is quite similar too but I still prefer our local version. Those balls were just a little bit sweet. I am glad that I can now indulge in such desserts hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. Oh yes. Your dessert looked delicious. I would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would. It's very cooling.

      Delete
  4. I am eyeing your desserts cos I love desserts like these too... The porkie rice, I just braised some yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This braised pork dish we can cook at home and I am sure yours is delicious!

      Delete
  5. the braised pork rice looks good. I would have order that too. Yummmzz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good and filling, though I can still fit in dessert hee..hee...

      Delete
  6. Aiyu jelly usually is lemon taste because they put lemon in it. Did you detect any lemon taste in your aiyu jelly?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, got provide chili padi means not authentic Taiwanese restaurant. 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so. Just to satisfy our local taste :)

      Delete
  8. That was a very satisfying meal and my kind of meal, rice with dessert. I would order Braised Pork rice too as I love to eat oink oink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go back for the pork trotters. Yummeh!

      Delete
  9. For snacks, I am interested in the salted fried chicken. I am ok with Taiwan food other than my favourite Jap food and Thai food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday I tried the salted fried chicken and it was very good!

      Delete
  10. I love Taiwan braised pork and the dessert. So mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to have a cooling dessert after the meal.

      Delete
  11. Price seem very reasonable and I miss this type of TW dessert~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time that I appreciate this Taiwan style dessert due to the low sugar. Or else I won't eat anymore.

      Delete