Thursday 18 June 2020

Covid-19 MCO : Day #93 (Ipoh Tuck Kee)


Today I decided to pop in to Ipoh Tuck Kee@Damansara Uptown to check out their noodles. This restaurant opened a few months before the MCO and at the time, their operating hours start at 5:00pm.

But they are now open for lunch, dine in and takeaways.


They sell mainly noodles.


And some side dishes as well.


I dropped by early, before 12pm to avoid the lunch crowd. These days, even with just a few people, it can be a crowd.


I came with the intention of trying the War Tan Hor Fun which someone told me is very good. But I got distracted by the big arrow pointing to the Yu Kong Hor.


So Yu Kong Hor it was, small (RM10.00). For drinks I had the Sour Plum Lime Juice (RM4.00).


The sour plum drink was pretty good. Sourish and refreshing.


Oh! The Yu Kong Hor was served in this oval plate just as shown on the menu. 


I was also given a bowl. If there were two diners, I can understand that the bowl is for each of them to scoop their portion of noodles. Since I am alone, can I eat direct from the  serving plate? heh..heh..heh.. better not lah. I might look foolish. 


So I followed protocol. Scoop, eat, scoop, eat, dengan penuh sopan santun like that. 


I thought the noodles were all right, didn't quite sweep me off my feet, but I did enjoy my meal. It was nice enough. Perhaps the people who can best judge the food here are the Ipoh folks.

I should bring my partner here so that I can taste more variety of noodles. This small serving is just nice for me, though as always, I could eat more!

26 comments:

  1. Haha. But understand it is for 1 person portion so no need to scoop into seperate bowl.

    Sour plum drink. Yum yum. I dont mind sonetimes, to refresh myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I shall eat straight from the plate! LOL!

      Delete
  2. hahaha... I ordered the noodles from Tuck Kee too few days ago for dinner. 4 packets of noodles, chicken feet and 5 pork balls cost RM37 something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like our Foochow fried noodles, wet - with gravy/sauce. Most importantly, it must have the wok hei fragrance. Wowwww!!! RM10! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...very expensive by Sibu standards!

      Delete
  4. The yu Kong hor should taste exactly the same as wat tan hor except that it has an extra egg with a runny yolk. Aiya just eat from the plate la since you are alone and that plate also is not very big wat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did not taste like wat tan hor.

      Delete
    2. How did it not taste like wat tan hot?

      Delete
    3. Maybe next time you can order the wat tan hor and see whether it tastes like this yu Kong hor without the raw egg yolk. The gravy is quite brown.

      Delete
  5. looks good! I have never eaten noodles with such raw egg yolk before. I prefer the egg to be half-boiled, but then it would spoil the 'yu kong'....lolx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about the raw egg, somehow did not think of it before ordering. But OK, no stomach troubles hah..hah..

      Delete
  6. i'd be totally distracted by the yu hong kor too on the menu. and i might request an extra egg! :D the cuttlefish meatballs on the appetiser menu look like they might have a nice texture and hopefully a natural sweet flavour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cuttlefish will be my next target! heh..heh..

      Delete
  7. Oh, this is the place that supposedly serves the legendary moonlight kway teow...which didn't sweep you off your feet...hmmmm! ;) First, potong markah for the presentation...the yolk already slipped off from the centre of the noodles (or did you cause that in your haste to take a photo?...heehee!). A friend of mine would drop by this place when she visits Ipoh for their other famous dish...baby octopus. She says make sure you go to the original one coz there are two with similar name next to each other (but I never tried). Wonder if this uptown one is comparable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The egg yolk was like that when it was served and that's when I realized, aiyo! raw egg! But it was all right after I mixed it with the hot noodles. I will try the baby octopus next. Maybe have it with fried rice hee..hee...

      Delete
    2. Oh I see...you didn't know that the Moonlight Kway Teow comes with a raw egg (you thought it was a cooked egg yolk like soft boiled eggs?). Anyway, don't be disheartened by this dish yet as the rendition here may not live up to standards. The moonlight kway teow should be dry (at least the one I had) and not saucy like the one here (the yolk is what make the noodles saucier). It should taste something like fried char kway teow (with good wok hei) before you mix in the egg. I enjoyed the rendition I had which even had taugeh (since I enjoy eating CKT) and didn't think much of the raw egg as the hot noodles should cook it somewhat if mixed in right away, right? ;)

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, it did not taste like CKT and come to think of it, also no wok hei! I checked their FB page and I found a few negative reviews.

      Delete
  8. I prefer the wat tan hor fun. I don't like the yu kong hor because of the raw egg. We will also order the blanched baby octopus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I did not think of the raw egg until it was served! I want to try all the noodles.

      Delete
  9. Since you are eating it alone, maybe you can just eat it from the plate. Btw, sour plum drink sound yummy, sooo nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time, I will eat from the plate hah...hah...

      Delete
  10. I was wondering what is the difference between wat tan hor and yu kong hor and mun has answered my question above. I love sour plum drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the raw egg, which I will avoid in future.

      Delete
  11. One of the must try shop whenever we traveled to Ipoh and the Yuet Guong Hor and the poached mini octopus were our obligatory order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one I think no where near the Ipoh one because I find the food not that good.

      Delete