Tuesday 27 November 2018

The Best Zucchini Bread


I bought two zucchinis the other day to cook. Or was it to make zucchini kerabu? But I changed my mind and the zucchinis remained in my fridge, taking up precious space. 

As a vegetable, zucchini is not very exciting. It is neutral tasting and I usually put it into soups. I have roasted it before but I am not too thrilled with it.

Then I remembered my previous bakes involving zucchini.  I already used up one zucchini to bake a Blueberry Orange Zucchini Bread and not wanting to repeat any of the previous recipes, I googled for something different when I found Sally's Best Zucchini Bread. In fact this zucchini bread recipe belongs to her hubby's family and it had won an award. Impressive, eh?


I chose to make this Best Zucchini Bread with an addition of raisins because my partner loves raisins. Black raisins tend to be hard and I soaked the raisins in orange juice for about an hour to plump them up.

I grated the zucchini and noted that it yielded more than enough for this recipe. Yikes. I will have to find another recipe to use up the excess.


This recipe contains cinnamon and when the zucchini bread was baking, my kitchen was filled by the wonderful aroma of cinnamon. It's a smell that can get your salivary glands working.

I followed the original recipe but made two changes - I used  melted butter instead of oil and I halved the amount of sugar. Raisins are quite sweet and the reduced sugar made the zucchini bread just barely sweet, the way my partner and I prefer it.


The zucchini bread is moist and dense (in a good way) and though you can see the green flecks, you cannot taste the zucchini.


The Best Zucchini Bread
Recipe source : Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction

Ingredients :
- 190g self raising flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- juice from 1 small orange
- 120g salted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini, gently squeezed to remove excess moisture

Method :
1. Soak raisins in orange juice for an hour. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift flour and cinnamon powder and use a whisk to combine. Set aside.
3. In another mixing bowl, add beaten egg and the two sugars. Whisk to dissolve sugars. Add vanilla extract and stir to mix.
4. Fold in grated zucchini and raisins including the orange juice.
5. Pour the wet mixture into the flour/cinnamon and using a spatula, gently fold to combine.
6. Pour batter into a loaf pan (8" x 4") and bake at 160C for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

20 comments:

  1. I would love to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to eat zucchini raw! I wonder why use zucchini in bread recipes if the zucchini taste cannot be detected? For the green specks or a little bit of fiber? Your zucchini bread looks really good though. I could finish them in a jiffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is in there for the extra moisture and to trick kids to eat veggies hah..hah...

      Delete
  3. I have never eaten this zucchini bread in my life. Where can i buy them besides your own kitchen?
    You are so clever to soak the raisins in orange juice to plump them up. A new trick learnt today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is so easy that you can bake it and surprise your wife!

      Delete
  4. I am not a fan of zucchini but I would love to taste your zucchini bread. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture gets me salivating. Hoping to make it the next time I get hold of some zucchinis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite certain you would love this bake.

      Delete
  6. I believe 1/2 cup sugar is equivalent to 8 tbsp. So, if you cut your loaf of 8 x 4 into 1-inch thick slices, wouldn't one slice contain 1 tbsp of sugar? :O Is that correct? Now I know why I try to stay away from eating cakes...kekeke! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! That is a lot of sugar in a slice of cake :(

      Delete
  7. I never try cooking zucchini in my menu. Not much of a fan of it either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to try and bake one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo, i'm not sure i've had zucchini bread before - looks lovely! one more for my carb bucket list! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's one of my favorite carbs hee..hee...

      Delete
  10. I have used zucchini in this dish tai yee ma kah lui and it works as well. Borrowed bellygood's post to show you the dish I mean.
    http://bellygoodcooking.blogspot.com/2012/03/yee-ma-ga-lui.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's another way that I can use zucchini! Thanks!

      Delete