Wednesday 14 November 2018

Chiang Mai Avocados Anyone?


The other day at Jaya Grocer, I was looking for avocados. I love avocados! The Australian Haas avocados cost RM6.50 per fruit and once in a while I allow myself this indulgence. 

And then one day, I spotted avocados from Thailand. They are much bigger that the Aussie ones and they were selling at RM4.90 per fruit. Hmmm!!!


See the size difference? I grabbed two and just for comparison I also bought two of the Aussie ones.

As you can see, the Aussie ones are ripening as they are turning black. But the Thai variety does not turn black like this upon ripening.



The skin goes slightly yellowish with black spots and there is a slight give when you gently press it. When unripe, they are firm and hard.



In terms of taste and texture, there is a slight edge in favor of the Aussie ones. But I am willing to sacrifice that difference as it is only marginal to me.


I have also tried Dole from Philippines (can't remember the price, they are about same size as Aussie ones) and again I find the Australian variety more superior.


Well, I am happy to be able to enjoy avocados at a more affordable price. I eat these with eggs for  breakfast. Yum!!


20 comments:

  1. Never seen or taste Thai avocados. Would love to give it a try. Long time I didn't take it, cannot afford. Hahaha. Over here, they are sold around RM7 and sometimes around RM5 -6, if on offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given up on buying these, spend so much and they all go bad. I think we had the ones from Sabah as well, other than the Australian ones, all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that. So far my experience has been good.

      Delete
  3. I have tried those from Australia and Philippines. The Australia ones are creamier. Have not tried any from Thailand so now that you have confirmed that they taste ok, will try next time when I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the Aussie ones are creamier.

      Delete
  4. Wah, perfectly ripen avocado for the last photo, like won lottery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of local cafes use the Philippine avocados because of the price difference, apparently. We should do a side-by-side taste test! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be doing a taste test for the sake of research and development hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. Interesting avocado fact: apparently, the bumpier the skin the more fat and hence more flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see! No wonder the Australian ones are way creamier.

      Delete
  7. I never buy from the supermarket before, as do not know how to go about doing with it... Only drink from the fruit stall before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the supermarket they are usually unripe and hard. Buy and leave at room temperature until they become soft.

      Delete
  8. Nice comparison! I usually buy them when they’ve promos. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Now with the Thai ones, no need to wait hee..hee..

      Delete
  9. I am not accustomed to the taste of avocado yet. I have only tasted it once by its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes better eaten with other food like eggs.

      Delete
  10. I pernah beli sekali je LL, itu pun sebab nak tau rasa avocado tu mcm mana....
    Tak ingat dah cam ne rasa dia , tp macam tak berapa sedaplah. Macam mana u makan dengan telur tu? Cuba share sikit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just goreng telur dan makan dengan avocado. Senang je, Hainom.

      Delete