Wednesday 21 November 2018

Blueberry Orange Zucchini Bread


I don't know how long this baking streak is going to last. This blog came about when I started baking as a therapy for depression. I think I must be a very happy camper now and as such no longer need to bake hah..hah.... 

I decided to revisit this zucchini bread recipe because I remember how much I enjoyed this Blueberry Lemon Zucchini Bread. This time instead of lemons, I used oranges.


I think blueberries also pair quite well with orange. My only regret is forgetting to swap grapeseed oil for butter. I think bakes taste better with butter. There can be no denying the richness and aroma of butter.


I couldn't resist the orange glaze as it made the cake taste extra nice. I know that sugar is bad but once in a while, ok lah, right? 

Honestly, I thought this bread or rather cake, was nice but not that great due to the absence of butter. I packed 6 slices for my partner (without the glaze) to bring to work and guess what? He whatsapp to tell me that the cake was pretty good. That sure made my day!


Blueberry Orange Zucchini Bread
Recipe source : Adapted from here

Ingredients :
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 cup grated zucchini (squeeze to remove excess mositure)
- 180g caster sugar (this is barely sweet for me, just nice but my partner said too sweet. So please adjust)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup grapeseed oil or any neutral flavored vegetable oil (I will sub with 125g butter next time)
- 250g blueberries (toss in 1 tbsp flour)
- zest of 2 oranges

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, oil, sugar, orange zest and vanilla extract. 
2. Fold in grated zucchini.
3. Sift in flour in three additions and fold to mix.
4. Fold in the blueberries.
5. Pour batter into a loaf pan or two smaller loaf pans.
6. Bake at 160C for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean.

Note : I tented the cake after 40 minutes.

To make the orange glaze :
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 3 tbsp orange juice or more

Method :
1. Whisk the icing sugar and orange juice.
2. Adjust to desired consistency, add more orange juice if necesary.

14 comments:

  1. The cake looks so tempting.. will try it out one of these days..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put so much blueberries in your cake. It must taste superb despite not having butter in it. You must be over the moon when he told you he loves your cake. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one too, the texture is just like my girl's gluten-free bread. Looks like cake to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks perfect with so much blueberries in it. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to bake a butter cake version.

      Delete
  5. Send some over pleaseeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, generous blueberries in your cake! Benefit of baking your food at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I love it with the icing even though I usually don't like my cakes too sweet.

      Delete