Friday 16 March 2018

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies


What? Still baking cookies? hee..hee...hee... It looks like the cookie baking that started during the festive season has not stopped. Not yet anyway. 

I had some cranberries leftover and I simply had to get rid of them. I don't like having bits and pieces of things hanging around and taking up space.


So I went searching for what else I could do with dried cranberries. I found a nice recipe, small batch cookies which was just nice for the amount of cranberries I had. Besides, I had plenty of oats that I could spare for these cookies.


Besides these two ingredients, I also had some almond meal in the fridge. Perfect! But still, if I made this recipe, I would be left with half a block of butter. Hmm.... so I baked another batch of cookies which I will post later.

With this amount of small batch cookies dough, I baked 2 batches of cookies. Had it been a full recipe, I  would have to bake in four batches.


It's such a breeze doing just two batches (of course I had another two batches of the other cookie) and I could fill up just one small canister. Just enough for me and I need not push my cookies to anyone else, not that I have ever received complaints.


I loved these cookies, as I loved any cookies that contain cranberries. I think the addition of almond meal made the texture of the cookies even better. These are definitely cookies that I will earmark for next year's Chinese New Year.

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe source : Adapted from Do What I Like

Ingredients :
- 110g butter, softened
- 40g caster sugar
- 1/2 a beaten egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g self-raising flour
- 30g rolled oats
- 20g ground almonds
- 70g dried cranberries

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients - flour, rolled oats, ground almonds and dried cranberries. Set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until creamy.
3. Add beaten egg and vanilla extract and continue to cream until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients and fold into the butter mixture.
5. Using two teaspoons, spoon the dough onto a lined baking tray and bake at 160C for 18 minutes until the cookies are brown.
6. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before transferring the cookies onto a cooling rack to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

32 comments:

  1. Hoiii! You repeated almost same photos of the cookies 6 times. It really tempted mad lured me to find some leftover cookies in the office pantry to eat now with coffee. So bad!

    I have a bag full of dried cranberries and lots of oats in the kitchen which I used for overnight oats. I might bake them into cookies before they get expired. Can I get a sample of your cookies please? I will send you a self-addressed envelope ok? Trying my luck again.

    NeverGiveUp #CookiesForHumgryBloggers #Tolong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't you try your luck and PM me your mailing address? wahahahaha!!!

      Delete
    2. yes! please send PH your mailing address and update us when you receive your cookies from her.

      Delete
    3. I hope TM don't come back and check this message. LOL!

      Delete
  2. TM will send you a self-addressed envelope, I will camp at the vicinity of your home, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You oso can try your luck and send me your mailing address LOL!

      Delete
  4. Hi PH, wanted to bake these cookies too for CNY but just couldn't do it this year. Hardly have the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! Well, there's always next year :)

      Delete
  5. Hey PH, I also have a packet of dried cranberries in my fridge.. I normally bake bread with it... now seeing your recipe I am thinking of trying out but see, see, I don't have self raising flour and vanilla essence.. sigh.. have to postpone first...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. just make bread lah. Your fruity bread is tempting me!

      Delete
  6. That is nice. Used up what is leftover in the fridge. I would like a bite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mission this year is to finish up what I have first before buying new ingredients.

      Delete
  7. I've dried cranberries in my huge bag of salad toppers. Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've had salads topped with cranberries and it is really good!

      Delete
  8. I usually keep dried cranberries in the fridge as snack. your cookies are tempting me but I have been eating these few lunches so I must refrain! no need to freeze them right? cos you can finish eating the whole batch in I estimate to be a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...let's see...I took 2 weeks to finish hee..hee...

      Delete
  9. I'm not a cookie person (but yet named my cat Cookie!) but I do like dried cranberries in breads & pastries though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have munched all my dried cranberries haven't got chance to make any cookies..anyway, even if I do, mine will not turn out to be nice like yours..these cookies best to eat with coffee :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sure your cookies will be great!

      Delete
  11. Those are beautiful canisters you're storing them in. Ceramic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought those at Daiso, they are more like cups.

      Delete
  12. All the dried cranberries in the fridge are all eaten up by me! None left to make cookies! He he!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the cookies that you make, and especially any cookie with dried fruit in it. They would be all gone by me if I didn't share them right away...these look so addictive and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are so addictive that I finished two canisters in less than a week! Naughty me :)

      Delete
  14. You have leftover cranberries, you baked cookies. If me, I'll just eat them, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny that I don't like eating them plain by themselves.

      Delete