Tired of the usual nasi ayam (chicken rice)? Well, to try this Chimichurri Chicken Rice, you need to like/love chimichurri.
Actually, even though I adore chimichurri, I wasn't so sure about this rice dish. But since I had something like 3 or 4 tablespoons of chimichurri in the bottle and an extra piece of chimichurri marinated chicken thigh, I was all set to experiment.
It's something similar to cooking rice pot chicken rice because you saute some onions, garlic and chicken and then add rice. Then transfer to whole lot into the rice cooker. Once the rice is cooked, stir in one or two tablespoons of chimichurri to coat the rice.
I thought it was very, very nice and I served the rice with hard boiled eggs and half an avocado. Of course some extra chimichurri was in order to make the meal even more enjoyable.
Chimichurri Chicken Rice
Recipe source : Adapted from Budget Bytes
- 1 deboned chicken thigh, cut into cubes and marinated with 1 tbsp chimichurri
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup basmati rice (the cup I used is the cup that came with my rice cooker). Wash and soak for 20 minutes and drained.
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 or more tablespoons chimichurri
- hard boiled eggs (optional)
- avocado (optional)
1. Heat oil in pan and saute diced onions until wilted.
2. Add minced garlic and continue to saute until aromatic.
3. Ad chicken and stir fry until meat is no longer pink.
4. Add the rice and stir fry to mix with all ingrdients.
5. Transfer to rice pot and cook like normal.
6. Once rice is cooked, add one or two tablespoons of chimichurri and stir it into the rice.
7. Serve with hard boiled eggs and sliced avocado if you like.