Friday 23 March 2018

Chimichurri Chicken Rice


Tired of the usual nasi ayam (chicken rice)? Well, to try this Chimichurri Chicken Rice, you need to like/love chimichurri.

Actually, even though I adore chimichurri, I wasn't so sure about this rice dish. But since I had something like 3 or 4 tablespoons of chimichurri in the bottle and an extra piece of chimichurri marinated chicken thigh, I was all set to experiment.


It's something similar to cooking rice pot chicken rice because you saute some onions, garlic and chicken and then add rice. Then transfer to whole lot into the rice cooker. Once the rice is cooked, stir in one or two tablespoons of chimichurri to coat the rice.


I thought it was very, very nice and I served the rice with hard boiled eggs and half an avocado. Of course some extra chimichurri was in order to make the meal even more enjoyable.


Chimichurri Chicken Rice
Recipe source : Adapted from Budget Bytes

Ingredients :
- 1 deboned chicken thigh, cut into cubes and marinated with 1 tbsp chimichurri
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup basmati rice (the cup I used is the cup that came with my rice cooker). Wash and soak for 20 minutes and drained.
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 or more tablespoons chimichurri 
- hard boiled eggs (optional)
- avocado (optional)

Method :
1. Heat oil in pan and saute diced onions until wilted.
2. Add minced garlic and continue to saute until aromatic.
3. Ad chicken and stir fry until meat is no longer pink.
4. Add the rice and stir fry to mix with all ingrdients.
5. Transfer to rice pot and cook like normal.
6. Once rice is cooked, add one or two tablespoons of chimichurri and stir it into the rice.
7. Serve with hard boiled eggs and sliced avocado if you like.

24 comments:

  1. I haven't try chimichurri yet, not sure how the fried rice would taste like.

    Good that you try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it and will make more in future.

      Delete
  2. Makes me think of my missus and kim chi - once she makes any, it's kim chi everything...including kim chi fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... yes, must maximize the usage :)

      Delete
  3. Throw in a few more herbs and it'll look like our nasi ulam....kekeke! ;D It looks nice and chimichurri seems easy enough to make. I think I'll try making this since I finally got myself a bottle of red wine vinegar...yessss! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what I thought of too. Great minds think alike, eh? Hope you enjoy the red wine vinegar!

      Delete
  4. See the avocado, wanna go for a cup of the drink...

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like can use Chimichurri in many recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure it is very very nice with the chimichurri sauce and nicer with the half avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good that the chimichurri chicken rice turns out great for you! I have no idea how chimichurri taste like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that's a fusion dish I'd like to give a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a cool creation! i wish our cafes in kl were as inventive as you when it comes to recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I was just looking to maximize the use for chimichurri as it is so delicious!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Orang Argentina punya sambal hah..hah...

      Delete