These are the best cookies I have baked so far. They came about when I baked Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies and wanted to use up the other half block of butter.
Since I still had some cornflakes in the pantry and milk chocolate chips in the fridge, I decided to try out these Cornflakes Chocolate Chip Cookies. I figured that chocolate chip cookies would taste awesome coated with cornflakes (as with most cookies).
After mixing the chocolate chips into the dough, I still had about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips leftover. That's when I decided to press them onto the dough and I thought the cookies looked rather cute.
Once the first batch was baked and cooled, I took one to sample. Oh la...la...la...la.... so nice lah! The cookies were so crunchy and buttery and chocolaty. Gorgeous!
I couldn't stop eating.
This is not good for my waistline but at that point I simply did not care. Crunch...crunch...crunch.....
I prefer to use semi-sweet chocolate chips as milk chocolate chips tend to melt in our hot weather. When I did the decorating, it was not too bad as I had kept the chocolate chips in the fridge and they were nice and firm.
But as time went by, they started getting soft and gooey. But it was OK since I was already making the last 3 or 4 cookies. The thing is, milk chocolate chips taste nicer and richer, which obviously, I love.
As with baking, when you are nearing the end of your last batch, either you end up with not enough ingredients or you have quite a bit leftover. So. My second batch of cookies were studded with more than 3 chocolate chips and the last one had only one.
I would say that these cookies made me very happy and I know that I must bake them again. So I have me two canisters of cookies in the fridge, to keep them fresh and crunchy, a method I learnt from a blogger friend.
So please go ahead and bake these and by all means, double the recipe!
Cornflakes Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe source : Phong Hong
- 110g butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/2 a beaten egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips + 1/2 cup for decoration
- 2 cups cornflakes, crushed (not too fine)
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until creamy.
2. Add beaten egg and vanilla extract and continue to cream until well mixed.
3. Add flour and fold to form a dough.
4. Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips
5. Using two teaspoons, drop a teaspoon of dough into the crushed cornflakes. Coat the dough with cornflakes and using your hand form the dough into a ball.
6. Press a few chocolate chips onto the dough ball and place dough on a lined baking tray.
7. Bake at 160C for 20 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.
8. Remove pan from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
9. Transfer cookies onto a cooling rack to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.