Thursday 22 March 2018

Nene Chicken : It's Freaking Hot!


One fine day I walked past and saw this newly opened Nene Chicken@The Starling (CLOSED). Well, you all know I love fried chicken. Korean fried chicken.

So one evening, I decided to check them out.


You have a choice of Classic Chicken Whole Leg, Boneless Chicken Thigh Meat or Wingettes and Drumettes. I wanted the boneless chicken but that was the most expensive item at RM43.90 (original) or RM45.90 (flavored). I suppose it comes in a big portion with complimentary sides.


So I settled on the chicken whole leg (3 pieces) to go. There are 4 flavors - Original, Swicy (sweet and spicy), Bulgogi or Freaking Hot. When I see "hot" I always pooh pooh it because some "hot" flavors weren't that hot for me. So. I chose the Freaking Hot.

They give you this thing while you are waiting for your order.


Back home,  I was very eager to tuck into my freaking hot Korean fried chicken.


The chicken was already cold but still a bit crispy. The aroma is very pungent and the sauce is sweet and spicy. When I bit into my first piece, I was like, OK.....it is spicy but not that spicy that you will jump to the roof kind of spicy.



When I bit into my second piece, that's when the heat kicked in. Oh yeah, it was hot. Then it got hotter.

By the third piece, I was like, WOOOHOOO!!! HOT! HOT!! HOT!!! My heart was racing and my lips and tongue were burning. My nose started dripping too.


The chicken came with a small serving of pickled radish that was very cooling and helped to remedy the heat a little bit. So I ate the chicken with the radish. They taste really good together.

So for those of you who enjoy your cili padi, you can survive this Freaking Hot flavor (and even get a kick out of it). But for the rest of you who will pengsan even when you bite into a slice of chili (like my partner), avoid this like the plague unless if you are sadistic and want a good torture session.

So will I go for this Freaking Hot flavor again? You bet I would because it's freaking delicious....though torturous.

22 comments:

  1. Sedap giler! I always loved Korean fried chicken too. They marinate them well with fragrant spices. I want to try this Freaking Hot chicken too with a bucket of iced water ready. Shiok la.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Yes! Go and try. Your Thai tongue sure can tahan the pedasness of the freaking hot sauce!

      Delete
  2. Hot? I'd love that! Cooked something yesterday, put in one huge chili...but was so disappointed as it was not hot at all. Blogpost on that coming up real soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your Mrs would definitely enjoy this super hot sauce chicken. I was almost in tears. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I saw a food channel yesterday and one part on the best but freaking hot chicken wings in America. The host was stunned by the heat. Haha.

    I don't know I could stand the heat but I could try just one bite to know the taste. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really suffering hah..hah... No joke this one :)

      Delete
  4. If it's too hot for you....then I better not try this freaking hot flavour! O_o Lucky for you since you like fried chicken as Starling is their first home in KL (their second after the one in Genting Highlands). That serving for 3 pcs seems too small for you, right? ;) This is close to RM20? Mighty expensive this KFC (I mean Korean Fried Chicken) to some but then all KFCs are! ^_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. The sweet and spicy may be more suited for you then. I want to try all 4 flavors. I just found out today that if you buy even numbered pieces, you can choose two flavors, what they call half and half. But that will set you back RM3.00. The 3 pieces were just nice for me. Maybe because I had a heavy lunch hah..hah.. It cost me RM19.10 and yes, this KFC (how clever of you) is on the pricey side.

      Delete
  5. Since your tongue were burning, if I, I think I will scream...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. hah..hah... I think so. You better try the other flavors :)

      Delete
  7. I saw several posts online about this Nene chicken.

    Looks really good, for sure. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the looks of these chicken pieces...I do believe you, Phong Hong. Hot, hot, hot, and I would love it; the hotter, the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you enjoy hot stuff. LOL!

      Delete
  9. I will pengsan (hot hot hot)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wah, I want to try too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I will avoid this Freaking Hot chicken like the plague since I have low tolerance for spicy food. From your photo, the chicken pieces looked like quite thickly battered, were they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The batter is not that thick. I like the chicken very much and so far, my favorite flavors are bulgogi and freaking hot. I don't like the swicy. Have not tried the original yet.

      Delete