Friday 27 October 2023

We Need Cheering Up

On Tuesday, mum, brother and I visited dad at the hospital. Earlier that morning we met with the doctors to hear from them what are the options available to dad.

We already had a family discussion much earlier and the consensus was to not proceed with any further medical procedures. A new complication came up the day before and after much deliberation, the decision was to maintain status quo.

Dad is in no condition to undergo surgery or any other medical intervention. All we can do is to maintain him and keep him as comfortable and as healthy as possible under the circumstances. It was a relief for me because I strongly believed that there is no point in pursuing any further intervention. It would make matters worse.

After the discussion, we went to the ward to see dad and to tell him of the decision made. He accepted it very calmly. Dad is actually doing rather well. In fact today, the doctor told us that his kidney function has improved. And that he is to consume more protein. Hah! See, protein is a very important macro nutrient. 

So after the visit, we needed to cheer ourselves up and what better way than to go out for makan, right? It was also an opportunity to take mum out for a meal. The most convenient place to go was Red Kettle at The Starling. Mum has been there before.


As you can see, the whole family are coffee addicts hee..hee.. 


Mum had the Classic Pork Chops which she said was very good.


My brother had the Beef Burger which he enjoys a lot. This is not his first time having this burger. Highly recommended he says.


The Oyster Blade Steak is no longer on the menu (bah!) so I had the Porkie Eggie Benedict. Unfortunately, it was not as good as it used to be. The bread was tough and amount of pork has shrunk.


I was hoping eat the Mocha Cake but sadly it was not available. So we had to make do with other cakes.


We had the Brownie, Black Forest and Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel. The best cake was the Black Forest. The other two were just ok only. As you can see, all are chocolate cakes since the other options were not so attractive. So that was our outing with mum.


The next day I was there again. In the morning I went to visit mum. I brought her my homecooked food. My lahling was in Penang for some family matters, so mum in a way ate his usual food hah...hah...

As usual, after the visit I made my way to the hospital to see dad. He was in a good mood. After chatting with him, I left and made it back to the office to check on a few things.


Then it was off to a late lunch. I was sweaty and very thirsty and no, I did not have coffee. I wanted something refreshing with ice. So I had the Iced Asam Boi Lemonade. Nope, I did not like it. It was too sweet (in spite of request for less sweet) and somehow lemonade and asam boi together did not do it for me.

And then I ate something I shouldn't eat. Haiz!


Peanut Butter n Jam French Toast. Let's just say that I should have ordered the Honey Bacon French Toast. As you can see, I was not very agreeable that day. I was very tired and cranky.


My friend had the Ice Lemon Tea.


And the Old School Chicken Chop.


And then he got all lovey dovey with the manager, Mr Yap. LOL!

By the way, Red Kettle has revamped their menu for Christmas. And TM (with the keen assistance of Mr Yap) took snapshots of the menu.  All this happened after I left. Since my lahling was not around, I had to Grabcar home.


They have pre-order dishes so that you don't have to stress up for your Christmas dinner.


This is pretty much their usual menu. Except no more Oyster Blade Steak. Tsk!


More of the usual.


Fancy drinks. Oh! I see a Chocolate Fondant!


I see something up my alley - Prime Angus Ribeye and BBQ Pork Ribs. I think I can sapu the pork ribs all by myself, 400g is nothing because the weight includes the bones, betul tak? heh.


Well, we'll see.

17 comments:

  1. It's very good to hear that your dad has shown improvement. Once we let go and surrender to the universe, we would feel better. Our mental health is very important to help any recovery. So we should just relax and eat anything that makes us happy.

    I have told Mr Yap to bring back the Oyster Blade Steak and Mocha Cake to their menu otherwise you might disappear and visit other Kettle's 😂😂😂 Mr. Yap is such a polite and attentive manager to everyone.

    I love their Beef Burger and Chicken Chop. I will try Pork Chop next time. Their Christmas promotions started earlier than any restaurants!! A very wise move! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I agree that Mr Yap is very cordial and attentive. Yes, you try the pork chop next time, also very good.

      Delete
  2. First, TM made you a VIP at the duck place...and now here (he sure knows a lot of "atas" people, like all the managers, and he's equally well known himself). Of course the manager was keen to help him take photos of the menu as he knows it'll probably end up in your hands...and on your blog for everyone to see (free advertising mah...lol). I think I'd be uncomfortable as I'd be "visible" (both in person and my blog) that I can no longer eat anonymously the next time I'm there. There's this place I want to blog about but is afraid that the owner might connect my name (I signed up as a member) to the name on my blog (and realise it's me giving the not-so-good review as you know I don't hold anything back in my reviews..but I think I'll hold back a little in this one). On the bright side, now when you dine here (and at Twins), you'll be greeted (and treated) like a special customer (now you're also "known"...lol). I can see why you didn't quite enjoy this meal...both your drink and the dish you chose was sweet (usually when I see peanut butter & jam in the same sentence, I run the other way...lol). P/S: Glad to hear your dad is doing better...and any decision a family jointly makes is the right decision for the betterment of everyone involved. Take care and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..hah.. Well, I did feel a bit awkward at first but now I feel ok and will not hold back any "negative" reviews. I just need to word it carefully, like how Sean of EDKL does it LOL! Ah, I read your post on the place you alluded to hee..hee...

      Thanks, my dad is doing all right though we still have challenges ahead of us. We'll just take a day at a time.

      Delete
  3. I fully agree with you on this "there is no point in pursuing any further intervention. It would make matters worse."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As previously the family here ten years ago decided against doctor's recommendation for open heart surgery for the elderly and the elderly lives ok for another ten days. With open heart surgery, there is more risk of slow recovery due to diabetes condition. These are cases that medical intervention is not that useful.

      Delete
    2. Ten years and more, not ten days. What a typo 🤦🏻‍♀️

      Delete
    3. I am glad to hear that. There are times when doing nothing is the best decision.

      Delete
    4. Oh I left out that the elderly opts to just take medications for the heart condition instead of open heart surgery and this year is year 11 of that incident. My friend's mother went for open heart surgery when she was 70ish and ended up in a coma for 4 years before crossing over so sometimes surgery is not the best solution but it depends on what the patient wants also.

      Delete
  4. Oh no, they have removed the oyster blade steak that I intended to try. I hope they put it back. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi PH, good to see your pic here, at least I can recognise you if/when I meet up with you next time. We must call TM along, though I know him a long while, I have never met him before...
    Same thing with my mom, we wanted her to be comfortable and not succumb to any more pain in any way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes! We must meet up and invite TM to join and entertain us. LOL!

      That's what my family thought too, we don't want dad to go through the painful recovery from any intervention.

      Delete
  6. Food looks great. God be with you all and with your dad especially, hope things will get better and getter. Been there, done that - all this can be so stressful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I try to take a day at a time and pray for strength.

      Delete
  7. I can see TM grows slightly fatter now and it's definitely good for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks well and healthy and I am glad!

      Delete