Saturday 7 October 2023

Italian Mee Goreng

Everyday I think about the following day's menu for my parents (and my brother and partner too). Yesterday ding! I got the idea to cook a Spaghetti Aglio Olio with Bacon and Mushrooms.

So I went to pick up a packet of spaghetti and mushrooms. All the other ingredients I already have at home.


Early this morning I sliced some onions and chopped some garlic.


Sliced up some bacon (I ended up adding more).


These were the two packets of Portabello mushrooms that I bought. It may look like a lot of mushrooms but they will shrink when cooked. I sliced all of them up.


There you go, the fried bacon.


Sauteed onions and garlic.


And sauteed mushrooms. I cooked them until all the moisture evaporated but for added insurance, I dished them up into a wire strainer. Nope, there were no liquids oozing out of the mushrooms.


Then I boiled a pot of water.


I broke the spaghetti into halves for easier handling.



Then I boiled the spaghetti for 12 minutes. My big ass kuali (wok) was on standby for mixing the cooked pasta with all my other bahan-bahan (ingredients).


All my ingredients lined up at the ready. I also roasted chicken chops for added protein.


While the spaghetti was draining, I heated the wok and dumped all the bacon and onions/garlic into the wok.


Then in went the spaghetti and mushrooms. Kacau, kacau, kacau (mix, mix, mix). Just like cooking mee goreng (fried noodles). I also sprinkled some salt and pepper for seasoning.


After that it was just a matter of portioning the pasta into containers.


Then topping the pasta with sliced roasted chicken legs.


My three cats have been largely neglected these past few weeks. Girl came inside the house and flopped on the floor, a sign that she wants affection. Then she did a belly roll.

I went over to briefly scratch her head and then I had to return to the kitchen. Sorry Girl. Mommy sayang (loves) you but mommy is very busy. 


At my brother's house, mum ate her pasta with gusto (finished the whole container). She told me that the one she had in Italy was terrible hah..hah...hah.... So that was lunch for today. Let's see what I come up with tomorrow.

15 comments:

  1. Can't go wrong with bacon! My girl loves those mushrooms, can't get them easily here - once in a blue moon...and often, already starting to rot away. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Bacon makes everything taste better.

      Delete
  2. Spaghetti always tasted better than local noodles. Nowadays restaurants are using all types of pasta to fry and cook local dishes. Bingo!

    Your mother is so sweet and praised you to the skies. Shame on Mr. Mario in Italy who served her terrible pasta. This post is bookmarked for my future recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! My mother thinks Italian food is just so so. Not to our taste, I suppose.

      Delete
  3. Wah, another round of applause for you 👏👏👏👏🎉 you can be a chef with the luxurious delicious pasta you cooked. So yummylicious, especially with added protein of roast chicken. 😋 😋 🤤 🤤

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a small pack of frozen prawns and decided to cook a prawn + bacon aglio olio since the prawns alone not enough to cook into a single dish. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your Italian mee goreng...but my son will say where's the chilli flakes lah in aglio olio...he needs lots of that + lots of garlic....hehehe! ;D P/S: I also break my spaghetti in half like that for easy boiling and frying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, had I cooked this for myself, you would see loads of chili flakes! My parents cannot tahan chilies, hence I omitted. And yes, I did not put enough garlic. Ah, so you too break the spaghetti in half!

      Delete
  6. I always prefer Aglio olio to spaghetti and this looks so good especially with the roasted chicken as toppings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also like it a lot but have not eaten in a while.

      Delete
  7. i like your Italian mee goreng! but i bet the strict Italian would detest you for breaking the spaghetti into halves LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..hah... they will shake their heads!

      Delete
  8. if you want to fix relationship/marriage problem .. Do you want your ex back? I got my lover back with his help.. Email:Robinsonbuckler11@gmail.com..

    ReplyDelete