Friday 6 October 2023

A Storm In The Kitchen

Since last Saturday I have been cooking up a storm in the wee hours of the morning. 

Mum was discharged last Friday and dad a day after. The reason I have taken the food prep into my own hands is to make sure that my parents eat well.

In the past (due to the peak period in my profession, there is no way I could invest time in cooking) I had been relying on Grabfood for my parents' lunches.

Even then, they did not want lunch everyday, preferring instead to subsist on bread and eggs on days when they declined my offer. They feel that Grabfood is expensive and did not want to burden me financially (in spite of my constant assurance to the contrary).


So my kitchen is now back in business! I have been relying on boneless chicken chops and pork loin as the main source of protein. The chicken chos are marinated overnight and then roasted in the oven the next day.

This is served with rice and for vegetables I opt for simplicity - cucumbers, tomatoes, roasted vegetables and sometimes stir fried vegetables like French beans.


One morning I made mee goreng for variety. Luckily I didn't throw away my big ass wok.


I thought my kenduri days were over but here they are, my two trusty woks, all shiny after being cleaned and seasoned.


I made plain omelette and cut into strips to garnish the mee goreng.  Needless to say mum ate the mee goreng with gusto.


Guess how my mum eats mee goreng?


With salad dressing. We usually eat with a chilli/garlic/soy sauce vinegar dip.


Before I fire up the kitchen, I must have my iced coffee first.


Marinated chicken chops for roasting (one portion each for mum, dad, brother and lahling). So you see, my lahling is now getting homecooked food again.


I also fry eggs for added protein.


I also cook rice.


These are marinated pork chops.


I pan fry them on the stove.


And using leftover oil in the pan, I saute some onions.


Due to the mad rush in the kitchen, I kept forgetting to snap pics of the finished packed food. Maybe another time I will do it.


Leftovers from the food prep become my dinner.


This morning I was over ambitious and made a big breakfast for them (except my partner, he had rice). I roasted some cherry tomatoes and capsicum in the air fryer.


Roasted pumpkin.


These are air fried chicken chops for my partner and me (I eat mine tonight).


So this was how my dining table looked like this morning. There was also bacon, eggs, sausages and French toast (made using leftover bread from my brother's house).


Again I forgot to snap photo and took this one as mum was eating. My big breakfast was really, really big, so they had to keep some for later.

Next week there will be days when I Grabfood for my parents. This will give them variety and also a break for me. Come to think of it, cost wise, there is not much difference between Grabfood and MyFood (hah...hah...) if you factor in my time cost and the cost of ingredients that I buy. In fact Grabfood is cheaper at times (depending on what I order). 

Sure, I admit that it can be tiring cooking for 4 people every morning but the joy and satisfaction that I get from seeing my parents and brother (lahling, I hope you appreciate the food...) enjoying what I prepared more than makes up for the time and effort that I put in.

My mum and dad are eating well at home and I was very worried when mum was refusing meals at the hospital.

These were some of her hospital meals :


Fried meehoon which was quite nice in spite of its plain looks.


I think this was chicken chop and it looks pretty good. But mum did not eat at all.


This meal she enjoyed (nearing her discharge date). It was fish in lemon sauce (I cut it for her for easy eating) with mashed potatoes, tomatoes and blanched spinach (don't know what is the yellow veggie).


That's it for now. I gotta go grocery shopping. What's tomorrow's menu? Spaghetti Aglio Olio with Bacon and Mushrooms. Want? hee..heh...

10 comments:

  1. Wah! Bravo! 👏 👏 👏 You are the bestest child ever any parents could pray 🙏 for. Gambatte! 👍💪Your food looks so delicious 😋🤤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah! I lagi bersemangat to cook! LOL!

      Delete
  2. You are absolutely a great daughter like sent from heavens to care for your parents. They sure appreciated your efforts to cook with all your LOVE in the ingredients. ♥️♥️♥️
    Meanwhile, your post gave me some valuable ideas what to cook too.
    I had lunch with my property agent today and we were comparing details that it could be cheaper to eat outside for 1-3 persons. I concluded that we could bring down the costs if I cooked everything in few slow cookers at home with no wastage of ingredients. Don't be surprised if my blog turns into a Shortcuts Cooking Blog for lazy people. 😂😂😂

    Hospital food is no-no for me. I had been tortured too many times already. I rather eat potato bread and milo in hospital. 😅😅😅😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adoi, don't lah praise me to the skies! I am looking forward to your shortcut cooking, who knows it will be your turn to give me ideas. I have 3 slow cookers in the house as they are very useful for braising and making bone broth. My mum is very scared of hospital food already LOL!

      Delete
  3. Oh, you've been cooking a storm alright. Your family is very lucky to have homecooked food cooked with love! ;) I love the spread (especially the roasted vegetables). Lol...your partner eats rice for breakfast? O_o Actually the meals your mom were served at the hospital looks rather good. I would gladly eat those two western-style dishes (I hope someone did so as not let it go to waste). I think your mom couldn't eat, not becos they weren't tasty, but becos she had no appetite. P/S: Those two yellow things, they're probably yellow zucchini. The meals my MIL had when she was hospitalised looked more pitiful than this. I once tried to eat it (try not to waste) but had to abandon it in the end coz it really tasted awful and tasteless. A lot of the meals were local dishes...and yes, they cooked curry/chilli-type meals for a sick person! *scratch head*

    I'm sure your mom and dad are eating well at home...how not to when you have such a dutiful daughter cooking such delicious meals from her heart for them. We will not have such fortune when we grow old. T_T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you are very kind to say so, my dear! My partners skips breakfast these days and that is for his lunch. Mum somehow, eats a lot earlier than she usually does, so this is brunch for her (and my brother). You are right, mum had no appetite but regained it later and she found some of the hospital fare to her liking. Ah, yellow zucchini, why didn't I think of that! I also saw spicy dishes on the menu which mum (and dad) avoids like the plague.

      At least you have your son, I have no children and have to rely on Grabfood wahahahaha!!!

      Delete
  4. Hey! I missed this post! I like the look of your mee goreng. The hospital food doesn't look shabby, pretty nice, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they enjoyed the mee goreng. Some of the food served at the hospital looked quite presentable.

      Delete
  5. Wow, your Mee Goreng looked so appealing, even better looking than those selling outside, I would love to eat at least 2 plates of it!
    Why you guys used container to eat at home?
    I bought an iron wok a few months ago. The food still stick on the wok until now even though I seasoned it after every use. ~>_<~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..hah... thank you for yoru compliments! My parents live with my brother, so I pack the food in containers.

      Delete