Tuesday 18 April 2023

Trying To Stay Strong and Healthy Until I Am 80

Is it a given that we must decline when we age? So many people are on medications to control their blood pressure, to manage blood sugar levels, to cope with depression and anxiety and other health afflictions.

Touch wood that so far at 55 (going on 56) I am not on any prescription medication and I hope to keep it that way. 

Seeing both my parents decline in health has been eye opening for me. I feel very sad about it. I had always in my mind thought my parents would stay the way that they were when I was a teenager and throughout my early adulthood. At the time, I felt as if they would live forever!

Alas, time has taken its toll on them. The sight of my mum laying helpless on the pavement when she fell outside the doctors clinic still haunts me. Thinking about it still breaks my heart. 
I am doing what I can for myself by way of dietary intervention to try to stay fit, healthy and strong both in mind and body. If I am blessed to live until 80 and beyond, I want to be mentally sharp, able bodied and firm on my feet. 

I really do not want to have to make trips to the clinic/hospital to manage my health. I want to be able to think, make sound decisions and walk unaided.


Of course there is no guarantee that I won't decline or I won't be hit by cancer or dementia or other ailments. But at least in this present lifetime I am making a conscious effort to help myself age well.


Even if it didn't work, at least I can say that I have tried.

12 comments:

  1. 80? I'm 70 and 80 looks like a long long way to go! Hopefully I will be able to reach it. Ooooo....you are quite an eggspert now, eh? Nice fried eggs! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you will live well into your 80's or even 90's. I remember your parents were long lived. Thanks for the egg compliment hee..hee..

      Delete
  2. I just got my blood test report last week and my doctor was nagging on my very low hemoglobin count. Now I am on iron folic!! No wonder I was feeling tired easily in recent months. Anyway, health is really important once we reach 40s. The deterioration can be felt when you are sick and takes longer to fully heal. I also don't want to make clinic/hospital my second home!!!

    Lovely food photos you have here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could consider eating more meat to replenish your iron supply. My dad is also on iron supplements.

      Delete
  3. The answer is yes. My maternal grandmother is 107 this year and she needs to be in an elderly care home because she had a hip replacement after breaking her hip when she rolled off her bed during her sleep so she couldn't walk now and need fulltime care and all her 9 children are too old to provide her with the care that she needs. We can choose not to take prescription meds but that would mean not using available modern medical means to extend our lives. That is exactly my intention because I want to die early though I am already past 50 but my friend frightened me by saying I may life to be 100 like my grandma so I got another 50 years to go. I told her even if she is wrong I won't be there to tell her that she is wrong about this because if she is wrong I would be dead. 😂Anyway, your beef steak looks so tasty that I want to eat steak tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living long can be a blessing and also a curse! God bless your maternal grandmother. I am hoping that I do not require any prescription medication. But if I did and if it is necessary, of course I will take it. If I am blessed to live a long life, I want it to be quality life meaning I would be physically and mentally fit and capable of looking after myself. If I am destined to die early, so be it, a long as it is not a painful death and I am not a burden to anyone.

      Delete
  4. I hope to have a sharp mind, able bodied and need not depend on any aid when i m older. Yea, i need to take care of myself now, as well as to reduce junk food intake😭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all hope for that and we have to be proactive in taking our health into our own hands.

      Delete
  5. Our body is like car engine... hahaha... even servicing can't "cure" it if it is too old... If I were to talk about medication, this comment will be too long. So much changes in health in just these few months, I thought I was invincible last time... but now have to admit I am just like an ordinary human being who has to take things much slower now in my 60s than my 50s....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we also go through wear and tear and become like kereta buruk hah..hah... But we can still do something to slow down the decline. I have stopped eating my favorite junk foods and I now focus on nutrient dense food like meat and eggs and non-starchy vegetables.

      Delete
  6. Don't think I want to live until 80...lol. With old age, comes health complications. I've not heard or seen any old folks who are not on some sort of medication...it comes with the territory...hah..hah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take what God gives me hah..hah... I am trying to defy taking medication. Hopefully I succeed!

      Delete