Monday 10 April 2023

A Testing Time


(Note : This post was written on 29-03-2023, Wednesday.)

One evening as I was chilling out in bed, I got a text message from my mum. Her blood pressure reading was still unsatisfactory.

I asked if she wanted to go and see the doctor. My brother was busy catching up with his work because he had sacrificed a lot of his time going to and from the hospital when my dad had his medical crisis.  He is also hosting our parents at his house and taking care of their daily meals and needs.

So I volunteered to take her to the clinic with my partner's help. There was also an upcoming follow up visit at the hospital that weekend.

Mum is now a little bit forgetful and she forgot that I had already confirmed with her that my partner and I would be taking her to the hospital that weekend for her follow up with the hand surgeon.

Due to her lapse in memory, she approached my brother to ask him to drop her and dad at the hospital that coming weekend. My brother was aware of the prior arrangement and due to work stress, that led to a misunderstanding of sorts and some upsets. So my brother texted me to please remind my mum because she is "changing the story".

Those of you who have to deal with the elderly (with declining cognition) will understand that the situation can be very testing on your patience. A little bit of understanding and kindness can go a long way (even though we may feel irritated) as we don't want to hurt our parents' feelings. 

Sure, to be honest I was stressed too and I texted my partner to tell him of the next day's arrangement. To cut the long story short, the visit to the doctor went well with my mum admitting that she did not take her medication as prescribed. Instead of three pills, she chose to take only two. No wonder her blood pressure was still high. 

Before I left the house that morning, I had a little something (which was meant for lunch hah..hah...).


I was hungry and I decided that this was going to be breakfast.


I took this photo of Belle Belle the evening before. 


After sending my mum back to my brother's house, I went to work. Come lunch time, I was hungry but not that hungry. I didn't know what/where to eat. Red Kettle? Nah... Hitoyoshi Ramen? Nah... I was actually thinking of dessert. Oh dear. For lunch?


So I ended up here. I browsed through the menu and of course none of the main dishes appealed to me. I was here for the comfort eating. 


The Strawberry Waffle Tower. I haven't had sweet cravings in a long while but it popped up that day.


That spiky thing is a stationery item that you put at your desk to spike receipts and small bills. The pointy end looked very dangerous and after I removed all the waffles, I made it lie down. The first few bites of the waffle was nice (the strawberry sauce was sickly sweet though) but after that it was just meh


I guess this type of dessert is not appealing to my tastebuds anymore. It may still play in my mind and remind me of the time when I used to relish this sort of thing. This is good news to me because waffles, ice cream and sugar are something that I do not need to mess me up.


Ah yes, I also had a latte to keep me company.  I guess my brother(s) and I have arrived at another chapter of our lives where it is our turn to look out for our parents and to extend to them the time, patience and sacrifice as they had done for us when we were growing up. They may have raised their voices at us when we tested their patience, but we should not do that to them.

We must always treat them with love, dignity, respect and kindness at all times. Amen. 

14 comments:

  1. Yes, we all get to a stage where we need to babysit our parents. My spouse have a exercise book for his parents where he will write down the arrangements between his siblings duty for them so they don't need to worry about who will be on duty to accompany them to hospital visits and who will bring them their meals. My memory is also not good nowadays so can understand about their memories. Hope your mother will take her medications as prescribed by the doctors. Sometimes due to memory issues, they may forget to take their meds which is quite dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a good idea, an exercise book to organize the care taker duties. My mum went through challenging times looking after my grandmother and my time will come. What is important is our seniors stay mentally and physically capable or else very susah.

      Delete
  2. Sweet stuffs eat more will be jelak. Two pieces of the waffles should be just right.
    Belle Belle is so cute sleeping with her head on the bannister railing. Thanks for taking her photos and sharing them with us. Please take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be Belle Belle's favorite position. She does that all the time.

      Delete
  3. Somehow or other I am not into these fancy waffles. Lots here at the dessert shops and not when I am on a low/no sugar diet. I prefer the plain old school ones.
    Yes, we must be patient - sick people tend to be cranky, short-tempered...because it can be so frustrating, feeling so helpless, so depressed. We need to understand that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we do, and my mum confided that my dad can be difficult and cranky at times.

      Delete
  4. that waffle tower is meant to be shared. I think i can only munch 2 pieces and after that i will be bored. Yes, it takes alot of patient to deal with the elderly, what more with medication and health problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... me no sharing! True lah. That's why for myself, I am doing my best to stay fit and healthy mentally and physically because there is no one to look after me.

      Delete
  5. Patient is something I still need to learn and improve as I tend to lost my patient easily :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too actually. But I have improved quite a lot ever since I changed my diet. I am more calm.

      Delete
  6. I can see why the waffle don't appeal to you anymore...it wouldn't appeal to me either with the many layers of cream and sauce. They look overly sweet and the way they presented it is so "yesterday"...lol. Get a nice modern dessert and I'm sure it'll still appeal to your tastebuds...hah..hah. P/S: I'm sorry to hear of your trying times and hopefully everything works out eventually. Patience is a virtue. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of waffles and ice cream but this one was perhaps too much for me. Ah yes, there are a few dessert shops in Uptown and one fine day I will drop my and see how I like them hee..hee..

      Thanks, my brother and I have to take a day at a time. As long as my parents can stay relatively healthy in mind and body, it won't be too challenging.

      Delete
  7. I hope your mother will get better with all the attention from you and siblings. I am still struggling and the recovery is far from expectation. It is quite tiring mentally. I managed to bring myself to leave my comments in just blogs today. I have yet to update my own and had received emails from well wishers. It's so touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that your challenge is not over and it is a very tough one. You are e very positive person and I believe you will prevail. I actually wanted to email you because my mummy was asking me about you. Next thing I know, I saw your comments! I am cheering you on and I wish you well. Keep fighting the good fight!

      Delete