Saturday 22 April 2023

I Don't Eat (or Drink) These Anymore

Ever since embarking on my current way of eating, I have stopped consuming foods that I used to eat and enjoy.

I remember how much I loved Maggi noodles. When these instant noodles came into the market, my grandparents would go to the supermarket and stock up. We ate Maggi mee with the addition of chicken and vegetables (and sometimes with an egg cracked in) and that used to be one of my favorite meals.

I also remember how during my hostel days, the girls would boil water using a heating element immersed in a pail of water to cook packets of Maggi mee to share. No, I never partook in those. The pail part freaked me out.


There are so many brands and flavor variations to choose from and I know many people love the convenience of instant noodles.


Hands up if you eat oats! At one time many years ago, my auntie, my mum and I would eat oats (with scrunched up faces) as a slimming food. Ugh! How wrong we were! Oats are high in carbohydrates and they elevate blood sugar. Now, how could that be slimming?! Well, I don't eat them anymore.


I was at one time addicted to Oreos and I could finish two packets in one sitting. I could keep eating those Oreo cookies and keep going until I was bloated. I bet those Blackpink girls don't indulge in Oreos. It can't be good for their figure.


Lays and Doritos! At the height of my depression, I used to eat these for comfort. My favorite was the BBQ flavored Doritos. Now I realized they are actually poison which inflamed my brain even more.


I remember those Kjeldsens Butter Cookies from my childhood. Every Chinese New Year, sure got one tin and I would always attack the sugar coated ones first.


I would most definitely not touch any of these drinks. Ever.


I saw these festive cookies at the supermarket recently and the psychedelic colors scared me off.


No more festive snacks and munchies for me. I do not miss them.


Much as I love burger patties, I avoid the processed ones.


These contain fillers - soy protein, and not to mention additives and coloring. If you care to look at the nutritional content (of course these are not super accurate but indicative), you will note that the carbohydrate count is almost the same as the protein content. I am not so concerned about the fat content as long as it is naturally occurring from the meat.


This one is the similar. Not only does it contain soy protein, it also contains textured vegetable protein, flour and starch. So I stay clear of these processed burger patties. I either buy 100% beef patties or make my own from minced beef.


My favorite section is now the meat section. Real meat.


As you know, I love those beef trimmings on the right. They contain a good mix of lean and fat.


I have yet to try the lamb shoulder from Aeon. Maybe I will get a packet tomorrow morning.


I love to look at all the red meat.


I recently found a beef supplier online - Daging Online. I was very happy with the service because I can order and request for the date and time of delivery. Their customer service is also very responsive. The meat that they supply is fresh and clean. One day I will blog about it.


Yes, I still eat veggies, the non-starchy ones. Last Sunday the salads were not fresh and expiring the next day. So I did not buy any. Hopefully tomorrow there will be fresh ones.

Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri to all my Muslim friends and readers and to the rest of you, happy long weekend! Woohoo!!

9 comments:

  1. Happy holiday to you! Yay! Good that you are eating healthier and don't miss all these processed food anymore. 👍 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to reduce consumption of those processed food. I am trying!! Lol. Not easy when my kids are into those fast food and processed food.

    Happy holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids love processed foods, so did I before this. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Instant noodles is my weakness...so is enjoying processed meat every now and then...lol. Soft/carbonated drinks and cookies...not interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is OK to consume instant noodles and processed meats once in a while. I still eat luncheon meat. LOL!

      Delete
  4. I'll buy instant noodles but seldom eat them, it's just for emergency :P Chips are something I can't resist, others like soft drinks (seldom drink unless a sudden craving), cookies, processed meat I still manage to avoid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating those foods once in a while is OK lah.

      Delete
  5. I am eating oat for brunch, thought that's for 3H (hbp, high cholesterol , high blood sugar) remedy.

    ReplyDelete