Thursday 12 May 2022

A Soup, A Steak and A Nasi Lemak Place

Now that I am confident dining out, I revisited one of my favorites - Rice & Pot Empire. I miss the tomato pork broth!


The fact that this restaurant is still surviving shows that it enjoys the support of loyal customers.


I am one of them and I will come back from time to time to sapot sapot and enjoy the porkie soups.


Nyum! Still as good but I felt that the soup is a bit diluted. Not as robust as previously. 


I love this choy poh condiment.


And the fried pork patty. Stomach filled and satisfied, I went to ronda-ronda the vicinity.


Sadly, Roti & Kopi House is no more.


Around the corner (at Uptown 3) is Nasi Lemak Tanglin. It is occupying the space vacated by Rawsome.


I don't know if I would come visit Tanglin as it scored quite low on Google reviews.


Ah! I had steaks again. These are sirloins.


Done medium rare.


A couple of weeks ago I had a ribeye.


But it was (unintentionally) rare.


I felt a bit geli-geli as I prefer medium rare. It's tricky, sometimes I nail medium rare, sometimes I don't. But rare is better than overcooked.


This is Girl spending a boring evening with mommy.

15 comments:

  1. Tanglin? That's in Singapore! I know of nice places there noted for their chicken rice but dunno any for their nasi lemak. Right now, I do not have any here that I really really like - all I would classify as our nasi tak-lemak! So pissed off by all of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stumbled upon a video clip - this Joanne Kam Po Po talking about Singapore nasi lemak! LOL!!! She sure doesn't give face one. LOL!!!

      Delete
    2. Let me go and try this Nasi Lemak Tanglin and see if it is any good.

      Delete
  2. Ah, I see you are enjoying your own cooked steaks at home. 👍 hahaha I forgot whether I have ordered delivery from this shop after I read your recommendation on its tomato broth. Later I go check. Girl is so sweet, accompanying you to rest and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too prefer medium rare steak. Too rare, I cannot accept and digest. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too but sometimes accidentally end up rare because I was scared to cook it for too long hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. Wow! This Uptown Girl "Aunty" walks a lot to ronda ronda and could easily clock in 10K steps everyday. Good for you.
    I dare not eat any food that shows slightest blood after knowing how the unseen bacteria could harm me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. My late grandpa also said that meat must be thoroughly cooked!

      Delete
  5. looks geli with the red meat....i wouldn't dare to eat it...most likely pop it into the microwave to 'cook' it much longer till it turn pinkish. Ah girl looks cool sharing the sofa with you. You both watching TV?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too lazy to put it back on the pan. It was just me watching TV. LOL!

      Delete
  6. Since I've tasted Nasi Lemak Tanglin, I'd ask you to forget the Google ratings...haha. If it's as good as the one I've eaten in their original shop (in Jalan Cenderasari where the queues are infamous), then you need to try it out for yourself. Get their tender sotong (I heard the beef is good too...and paru if you like that). If I had one near me, I'd certainly be visiting.

    Hmmm, choy poy in a tomato-based soup, don't think I've ever had that combo. As for cooking steaks at home, you're quite right to say that it's tricky to nail...and we can't get that all important sear (to seal in the juices) even if it's cooked on a cast iron pan. That's why we pay a bomb for steaks at restaurants...to nail the doneness to perfection and to get that right sear and charring....lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, noted hah..hah... I love paru, so I shall try this nasi lemak one day.

      The sear is achievable (perhaps not so obvious from my photo hah..hah...) and it becomes tricky due to the thickness (and also temperature) of the steak. I think it takes lots of experience (but then how often do I cook steak at home) to be able to gauge the timing.

      Delete
  7. I told hubby I wanna try Rice & Pot Empire when we passed by during our lunch at Uptown and he reminded me that we had once via food delivery which I totally forgot about it. LOL
    That Tanglin Nasi Lemak is one of the new eateries that I put into my to try list. Never try the original Tanglin at KL, but heard so much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, once you try Tanglin please do a review. I wait and see what you think LOL!

      Delete