Tuesday 15 March 2022

Tasty (Oink Oink) Porridge

When I read about Mixed Pork Porridge at eatwhateatwhere, I was reminded of a very delicious pork porridge which I ate in Kuala Terengganu many years ago.

That porridge was consumed under sad circumstances, at the wake of a late aunt. There was plenty of food at my uncle's house, packed to feed family and friends who came to pay their last respects to his late wife.

Somehow, for someone who dislikes porridge since childhood, I chose to eat the  pork porridge. Maybe it was the idea of eating pork innards (liver, intestines, yum!) influenced my choice. And yes, I enjoyed that pork porridge very much.

Last Sunday, I found Tasty Porridge @ Kota Damansara on ShopeeeFood.


So I ordered the Authentic Pork Mix Porridge (RM10.60)I also added the Vinegar Century Egg (RM5.94). Delivery was quite fast and I didn't have to wait long to enjoy my lunch.


This is how it was packed.


I transferred the porridge into a bowl and the century egg into a small plate. The porridge smelled really good.


First, must add freshly cracked pepper and spring onions and coriander which I bought from Aeon (in anticipation of the porridge hee..hee...).

After that, add the separately packed crispy deep fried intestines.


Then it was time to eat.


The porridge tasted pretty good to me. I loved the thin strips of ginger in the porridge. But I was not happy because the amount of minced pork and innards in the porridge was quite scant (don't be fooled by their photo below). The crispy intestines had a smell, but not an unpleasant one, which nevertheless did not endear me to those crispy innards. 


In between mouthfuls of porridge, I ate the century egg with the pickled ginger.


I love century egg! It may be stinky to some people but to me it is so delicious. I can enjoy it neat without any condiments.


The pickled ginger was very good. It had a nice balance between sweet (leaning more towards sweet) and sour and it made eating the century egg even more enjoyable.


Total paid for this order was RM14.54, after a discount of RM6.00. Not bad lah

I noted with ShopeeFood, you pay for the order immediately upon confirmation whereas with Grabfood, payment is deducted only upon receipt of the food. So hopefully nothing goes wrong with the order while in transit or else you would have to struggle with refund. I don't know how it works in such a situation.

With ShopeeFood you get to decide to tip the rider only after delivery (after give him a rating) whereas with Grabfood, you tip upfront (if you choose to do so). Once the delivery is completed, you can rate but can't give a tip. I almost always give riders a tip but I would prefer to do that only after delivery, which makes more sense.

Well, I am happy to find this pork porridge outlet and I was reminded by my brother that we had actually visited a good porridge restaurant in SS2 (and it's on ShopeeFood!) when we went to tapau porridge for our parents back in 2018.  I don't know how I could have forgotten about that!

14 comments:

  1. Yo!! I love pork porridge too esp that crispy innards. I cannot tapao piping hot porridge as I must eat them at the shops right away to burn my lips. I seem to enjoy all your extras that go with the porridge. We should be ideal neighbors and share all your food orders. Tell me when your neighbor wants to sell their house. I will move in!

    I was just telling my wife that I want to visit Terengganu and explore all the authentic food besides visiting Kenyir Lakes. I just visited Tasik Chini and it was so eerie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I wish that there was more innards in there or option to add on. I can't eat food that is piping hot. I have to keep blowing it to cool down.

      There is a legend about Tasik Chini - got dragon or something like that. I can already imagine the eerie-ness!

      Delete
  2. i dislike porridge too when i was a kid, but now i m ok with eating porridge. I prefer salted egg to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here but given a choice, I still choose rice hee...hee...

      Delete
  3. RM5.94 for that little bit of century egg? Oh my!!! I love porridge, pork porridge too but these days I seem to get put off by the garnishing on top - I did blog about it that day, comes on and off...some days o.k. other days, I feel like throwing up when I pick up any of those smells. Sighhhh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like a pregnant woman LOL! It happens as we get on in years. That's what my grandfather used to tell me. I am the same too, certain food that I used to like, now the smell or taste does not appeal to me anymore.

      Delete
  4. From your photo, the texture of the porridge was too thick for my liking, I prefer it slightly watery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's thick but it was all right for me.

      Delete
  5. I love your century egg and pickled ginger. Congee I ok ok only but will eat remaining congee after my husband has eaten his fill. Good to see you exploring shopeefood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem with ShopeeFood is that some of the restaurants featured were closed even during lunchtime but available on Grab. I even had an order cancelled when they could not get a rider. Somehow, Grab still has an edge in terms of delivery and ease of use of the app.

      Delete
  6. I love porridge with century egg. It's my ultimate comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The worst thing is when intestines have a smell...it means they weren't washed properly or they din't go through the right process of washing them (I remember being told there's a certain way to do this...with a constarch mixture or something). Stinky eggs & pickled ginger smell so heavenly to me...they're such a good combo together, I applaud the person who first thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, to wash the intestines, you have to turn it inside out by using a chopstick and then rub it with salt. It's quite tedious, not something I would want to deal with in my kitchen (and having to smell it, ugh!). I bought some duck century eggs to enjoy with my pickled ginger. Haven't had time to makan yet.

      Delete