Tuesday 1 March 2022

Waking Up My Wok : Mongolian Beef

Recently while watching videos on Youtube, I chanced upon Made With Lau. The first video that got my attention was their Beef Chow Fun. Then came Mongolian Beef.

You bet, that got my attention. With Daddy Lau (as the Lau patriarch is affectionately known) a Chinese chef with more than 50 years experience at the helm, we can trust that the recipes (well maybe slightly adapted to the American palate) and techniques are the real deal.


One of the things I learnt is how to tenderize beef and the trick is - baking soda! What a revelation as I only know the application of baking soda in, obviously, baking and as a deodorizer.

Another technique that is commonly used in Chinese restaurants is quick blanching of meat in very hot oil. Yup, it is scary the amount of oil used but that's the method to get the meat really tender and not overcooked.


So feeling adventurous with hints of my cooking mojo kicking in, I told myself - I must cook Mongku Ngau Yoke! And with that, my wok woke up from hibernation.

It so happened that I had a piece of frozen beef tenderloin in my freezer (how long it has been in there, don't ask me).

I remember I bought it via Grabmart from VS Frozen Foods, a frozen food supplier in Taman Tun Dr Ismail. On Thursday evening I took the frozen beef to the fridge for it to defrost overnight.

I had already bought the red and green capsicum the previous weekend and on Friday, I was all ready to wok it out. 


Quite frankly, when I got down to it, this dish is not difficult to execute at all. First you slice the beef (making sure to slice against the grain) and then you soak it in water for a little while to get rid of excess blood.

While that is happening, make the marinade - common ingredients which most of us have in our kitchen - baking soda (not so common to some), cornstarch, oyster sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and pepper. Mix with some water and the marinade is ready.

Then drain the beef, squeezing out the water and then put it into the marinade and mix to coat. Set it aside.


After that you make the sauce (which Daddy Lau refers to as saucie which is so cute) - again oyster sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, chili paste (optional), sugar and cooking wine.

Next slice up the onion, capsicum/bell peppers, spring onions and chop up the garlic.

What I found interesting is the addition of oil into the marinated beef just before cooking. After that more cornstarch is mixed in.

The challenge for me was frying the marinated beef in a whole lot of hot oil. I conquered my fears and I did it. It doesn't take long for the beef to cook and you quickly remove it from the wok to drain.

Next comes the easy part - remove the excess oil from the wok and stir fry the garlic, spring onions and capsicum - add the beef, add the sauce and stir away! Then as a finishing touch - a drizzle of sesame oil.

What do you get?

This.


Oh my! The beef was betul-betul tender and silky and melt in your mouth. I can't believe I cooked this. I ate two plates of rice that day. Tsk! Tsk!

For the recipe and video, please hop over to Made With Lau. I am not putting the recipe here because I just adapted and eyeballed the ingredients. So it won't be proper to put up an adapted recipe without accurate measurements.

16 comments:

  1. Does the baking soda leave a specific taste in the beef? I know my friends always tell me that baking soda is used to tenderize kacang kuda but it leaves some baking soda taste in the kacang kuda so I was told only to buy quality kacang kuda that is not tenderize by baking soda. Therefore I wonder will the baking soda leave a residue taste if u don't marinate the beef with any other sauce but just grill it lightly like you do for quality magyu beef?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know and I would not likely just use baking soda by itself on beef.

      Delete
  2. the beef looks tender and juicy! i can eat this with lotsa rice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks gorgeous...and best of all, you're back in the kitchen! I guess you're fully recovered now, what a relief!!! Take care there, stay safe. stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Well, I hope to cook more regularly but as you know, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak! LLO!

      Delete
  4. Wow! So delicious looking Mongolian beef. I am drooling. I also want to try out this recipe. But first, must get some beef tenderloin and some capsicum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up with extra capsicum. What to cook next? hah..hah..hah...

      Delete
  5. I cooked Mongolian Beef before and my version was using very thin beef slices (like shabu shabu beef), but I believe both are equally delicious, hehe :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tasted Mangolian beef before but never cook myself. Yours looked good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful. I wonder if we could substitute it with pork or chicken?
    Good to see that you're back using your wok. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I am sure it would be good with pork and chicken too. I intend to put my wok to work on a more regular basis. Once a week sounds about right hah...hah...

      Delete
  8. I was also intrigued by this Daddy Lau, that's why I have his website on my blogroll's side bar. I like that he speaks Cantonese which I can understand (unfortunately you don't) and his son does the voice over in English. This father & son team is so cute together (a loving family).

    His recipes really look delicious, so I can understand why you were blown away (one of these days I must make one of his recipes too). I too can eat two plates of rice with your Mongolian beef (saucie is typically how Hongkees would pronounce it). ^_~ I've been aware of baking soda for tenderising meats (not sure if it's the same as baking powder which I've used before to crisp up my baked chicken wings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that you are also a fan of Daddy Lau! I have picked up some Cantonese words after watching his videos and I hope to pick up more. Then I can go beyond "sek fan" and "hou sek" LOL!

      Baking soda and baking powder is not the same. I have also used baking powder to make roasted chicken wings crispy. Initially I was a bit hesitant (it seemed weird) and I read that we should look for baking powder that does not contain aluminum.

      Delete